Jump to content

Sergei

Reapercon Sophie

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I was really looking forward to this mini becoming available. It's a gorgeous piece, but I just can't believe the price tag. I mean, there's a lot of pewter miniatures in Reaper's store that are cheaper with just as much detail and even more separate casting pieces. I don't get how this mini can justifiably cost $20.

 

I was wondering that myself.  Just out of curiosity I dug out my soap-making scale and weighed the 2018 Sophie in her package.  She was 42 grams, All Hallow's Eve weighs 44+ grams.  So it can't be just the cost of pewter, and I know very little about what else could impact the price.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

I was really looking forward to this mini becoming available. It's a gorgeous piece, but I just can't believe the price tag. I mean, there's a lot of pewter miniatures in Reaper's store that are cheaper with just as much detail and even more separate casting pieces. I don't get how this mini can justifiably cost $20.

 

With a limited edition miniature, you have to amortize the sculpting and mold costs across fewer figures. And since most of these were "given" away in swag bags, that means fewer still to break even. Boutique minis are always more expensive and often much more expensive.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2018 at 12:22 AM, Green Eyed Monster said:

This just stimulated my neurons to the point where the lightbulb is growing dimly.

There needs to be "A Noobs Guide to ReaperCon".

Could be a group project for forumites to give input to over the coming year.

GEM

 

There is a thread on here with that. Most first timers don't ever really read through it cause it's like 40 pages. Also, most first timers don't ever listen to the vets (I was one once too). 

On 9/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

 

With a limited edition miniature, you have to amortize the sculpting and mold costs across fewer figures. And since most of these were "given" away in swag bags, that means fewer still to break even. Boutique minis are always more expensive and often much more expensive.

This. Also since it is limited vs part of the actual line, people will still pay the premium. If not, then there is always Christmas and the chance at getting older Sophie's and exclusives.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it's tricky. The limited edition Sophies do tend to command a bit of a premium, but I generally only buy one per year, so I tell myself it's OK.

 

As it is, I ordered a Sophie, but I completely missed the window of swag bag availability. It went from "not listed" to "0 in stock" pretty fast.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since they have re-released Sophies for christmas and as a box set during Bones I, I can't figure out why Reaper doesn't sell all the prior Reapercon Sophies at each Reapercon.  I mean, if they never otherwise got re-released I'd get it, but since they have been I'm not sure why not.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they have the ability and time to cast them, I don't see why they wouldn't want to make more for each Reapercon. People certainly will buy them, and at a higher cost. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had planned to pick up a Sophie, but at $20 I took a pass.  Companies are free to charge what they they think a product is worth, just as I the consumer can say no it's not.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got one but I do admit I expected around $15 for her, since she doesn't have as many pieces as some from previous years. Maybe a bit more metal than other characters in pants (bell skirt = weight), but not as much as some like last year. Last year's had a serpent and heavy base though, and some have had other extra bits. She seems like just body and wings this time. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Her dress is actually solid in the center requiring more metal than the average mini. $20 isn't bad imo, after seeing it in blister.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr Melons said:

Her dress is actually solid in the center requiring more metal than the average mini. $20 isn't bad imo, after seeing it in blister.

 

I guess we don't have to worry about her being super top heavy with the wings and falling over ^_^

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

 

I guess we don't have to worry about her being super top heavy with the wings and falling over ^_^

She is definitely thick bottomed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr Melons said:

There is a thread on here with that. Most first timers don't ever really read through it cause it's like 40 pages. Also, most first timers don't ever listen to the vets (I was one once too). 

This. Also since it is limited vs part of the actual line, people will still pay the premium. If not, then there is always Christmas and the chance at getting older Sophie's and exclusives.

Unless the online NOOB's Guide is linked and promoted among the ReaperCon portion of the website most NOOBs will not even know its there.

Even a sign at registration drawing attention to the information already posted would be helpful.

The wi-fi at the new Convention Center is first rate so people could access this info very easily.

GEM

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 4:31 PM, Green Eyed Monster said:

Unless the online NOOB's Guide is linked and promoted among the ReaperCon portion of the website most NOOBs will not even know its there.

Even a sign at registration drawing attention to the information already posted would be helpful.

The wi-fi at the new Convention Center is first rate so people could access this info very easily.

GEM

What we can really use is a Reaper app.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 3:12 PM, Cyradis said:

If they have the ability and time to cast them, I don't see why they wouldn't want to make more for each Reapercon. People certainly will buy them, and at a higher cost. 

 

I think there's limited interest in many of the Sophie sculpts as regular product because they can't double as player characters.  It is only their exclusivity that makes many of the sculpts appealing to collectors and completists.  Take a look at how often they get painted and posted in the forums. Putting them all on sale in the store might generate some sales as people fill in collections but I bet they'd move to the bottom of the monthly best seller list pretty quick as interest died down. 

 

The thing with exclusives is that they are exclusive and Reaper has been pretty generous in making back issues available from time to time. Most other companies won't.  Demand for exclusives goes down when they aren't a limited quantity any more.  And the thing with Sophie and the con mouslings is that they are rewards for those who actually go to the con.  Making them generally available negates the reward.  

 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Inarah said:

 

I think there's limited interest in many of the Sophie sculpts as regular product because they can't double as player characters.  It is only their exclusivity that makes many of the sculpts appealing to collectors and completists.  Take a look at how often they get painted and posted in the forums. Putting them all on sale in the store might generate some sales as people fill in collections but I bet they'd move to the bottom of the monthly best seller list pretty quick as interest died down. 

 

The thing with exclusives is that they are exclusive and Reaper has been pretty generous in making back issues available from time to time. Most other companies won't.  Demand for exclusives goes down when they aren't a limited quantity any more. 

 

 

I meant during ReaperCon and events only, not all the time. 

 

Arguably, many can be PCs - if either you play a succubus, or leave the wings off :poke:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×