redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

This question come from @Crowley

Wednesday, September 12: What sort of supplies do you keep stocked for disaster situations?

Canned/dry food, water, TP, first aid supplies, flashlights and batteries for same.

I keep a smaller version of all that in my car too, along with a heavy blanket.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Wednesday, September 12: What sort of supplies do you keep stocked for disaster situations?

Not enough :ph34r:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Food that doesn't require heating or refrigeration or food that can easily be heated on our grill's burner attachment.

We try to keep toilet paper and paper towels stocked pretty well normally but that's not deliberately disaster prep.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

At the moment maybe a meal or two worth of food for the two of us.  Partially because power outages are fairly rare here, and partially due to a lack of investing specifically I nth at area. 

I am planning on picking up a few pails of dehydrated foodstuffs (basic supplies/ingredients, as well as full ready to roll "just add hot water and wait" meals) and two cases of bottled water, all of which we will slowly rotate through...  Just haven't quite gotten to that point. 

Eventual goal is to have slowly rotated emergency supplies that rival a 72 hour kit that also work well for backpacking and/or hiking.  It's something we've wanted to do for a while now.  Oh, and a kerosene burner, although I won't lie, the thought of having cans of fuel around the house does kind of bother me, even if they're sealed, and when taken care of properly are pretty much as safe as they get. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Being in tornado country... weather radio, flashlights, candles, stove, fuel, canned and dry food, basic first aid.  I would like to have a generator but DH doesn't see the need. 

• Like 10

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Candles, matches, batteries, flashlight, knife, canned food, food without an expiration date like dry pasta/rice. Bottled water and blankets/clothes are also always in the house.

I also regularly treat the neighbours to food, keeping them nice and fat, just in case:devil:

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Haha 9

These aren't specifically for disasters, but I keep a supply of oatmeal, rice, and soup, and a first aid kit. 

I keep water, matches, and candles for emergencies.

• Like 6

Honestly? Not very much.

I am not usually out in the stores ahead of each storm trying to buy supplies.

Generally, there is enough food in the house for at least a few days. We have batteries, candles, and other consumables (more because we are hoarders, rather than planners). Aside from that, I generally assume that any likely disaster will be resolved fast enough for us to go and find supplies in under a week.

This could be naive - Certainly there have been major disasters in large urban areas within my lifetime, but I don't really treat it as a likely scenario.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I keep thinking about doing one of those "My Patriot Supply" food prep things, but life is expensive. Eventually I probably will stock some stuff like that, and an emergency medical kit or something.

• Like 6

Gasoline for the generator that powers the well.

Milk, eggs, and bread.

• Like 8

I really need more. I have the basics at my house: lots of candles, flashlight, some coleman fuel cans and little grill to go over it so I can boil water, ramen, granola bars, peanut butter, TP, paper towels; small things of soap and the like. I also have a bag in my car with a change of clothes, some basic camping gear, water bottle, first aid kit and such. I really need a place to store water specifically, right now I just hope I have enough warning to fill up all my pitchers and sinks. 

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, TheMandolin said:

I really need more. I have the basics at my house: lots of candles, flashlight, some coleman fuel cans and little grill to go over it so I can boil water, ramen, granola bars, peanut butter, TP, paper towels; small things of soap and the like. I also have a bag in my car with a change of clothes, some basic camping gear, water bottle, first aid kit and such. I really need a place to store water specifically, right now I just hope I have enough warning to fill up all my pitchers and sinks. 

Water is a big thing that concerns me, in terms of rotating the supply. Bottled water will deteriorate, correct? I guess I haven't done a lot of research, but I'd heard this was the hardest thing to keep stored correctly. 

• Like 8