redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

This question come from @Crowley

Wednesday, September 12: What sort of supplies do you keep stocked for disaster situations?

This is what we have for an earthquake, my parents and myself.

One backpack in the house near the door:

1. First aid kit with bandaid, adhesive roll, gauze pads, burn cream, alcohol wipes, antibiotic cream, over the counter pain relieve, anti diarrhea medicine, flu medicine, tweezers, gloves, needles, ice pack. (Checked every 3 months)

2. 3 large zip hoodies jackets

3. Several pairs of socks (wet socks = bleh)

4. Toilet paper.

5. Wet wipes.

6. Granola bars, trail mix, chewing gum (checked every 3 months)

7. 2 gallon jug (I think it is) rotated every month (not in the backpack)

8. Some canned beans and chili (rotated every 3 months)

9. Lighter and waterproof matches.

10. Wind up led flaslights

Metal container outside.

1. Thermal blankets in plastic bags.

2. 3 pairs of old walking shoes (cleaned and sealed) (not in backpack)

3. Paper towel from dollar store.

4. Tent.

5. Old shirts and sweat pants and shorts. 

6. Crowbar... I don't know why I threw it in there.

7. Camping electric lantern with solar panel attachment (I dont think the quality is the best)

8. Knife

9. Cooking pot.

I think that's most of it.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Wednesday, September 12: What sort of supplies do you keep stocked for disaster situations?

I currently have all my paints in bags and most of my minis can be transported out of my home quickly. I'm ready for the apocalypse!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Almost forgot the 5 stage water filter.  It was for the fish tank, but if our water supply should become contaminated we should be good.  

• Like 8

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

A bunch of cows, a few rifles and ammunition and a set of skinning/butchering knives. :winkthumbs: Seriously though we aren't prepped for disaster. We'd be able to live a week on what's in our house. Without power less. Once went 5 days without power on the farm and it was getting tough mostly because the generator we had at the time wasn't strong enough to run the furnace. Our big limiting factor now would be low food stocks and not a huge amount of fuel to keep things like the deep freezers and stove running. Water (surprising considering how dry the area is in general but lots of springs on the farm and good wells) and meat are plentiful here. The trouble is everything else. Know a guy that's a survivalist who's supposedly stocked for the apocalypse. Worse comes to worse all I need is ammo and to track him to the hidden supplies.

• Like 10

What? Me worry?

Pfft.

I survived a month on popcorn, hotdogs from 7-Eleven, and soda with no tv and no phone service, alone in an apartment (there were Reasons for it). Who needs milk, bread, and eggs?

I may have splurged on a bag of frozen fried okra during that time. It's... kinda blurry.

• Like 10

Folding money.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

You're supposed to plan ahead for these things?

Being in Arkansas I'm fairly insulated from natural disasters aside from tornadoes and with those you kind of just hope it doesn't run you over.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good question** Haminister... (... :lol: ::D: ::o:.***)

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

This question came from @Crowley

I have a bunch of water in bottles. (It is tap water. Why don’t people prepping for hurricanes just buy empty bottles and fill them from their own taps??) I have lots of LED flashlights. 

**You lot are giving me a bunch of good ideas. 

I also have many cans of...

:ph34r: Soup:ph34r:

***Bwahahaha! Autocorrupt auto-completed “Haminister” after I typed only the characters “h a m i” !!  I have conquered autocorrupt! ::D:

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Speaking of soup... 

Thursday, September 13: Do you carry with you, at all times, tools sufficient to open a can of soup? (Or other canned goods)

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

Thursday, September 13: Do you carry with you, at all times, tools sufficient to open a can of soup? (Or other canned goods)

No, but I should. Soup is yum. Soup is love. I should have access to the miracle of soup. 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

What, you mean they're not supposed to be twist-off? :ph34r:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

43 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

If I have my pocket knife I do. It's almost always in my purse. The few exceptions it's not are usually when it would most convenient to have it <_< Murphy's law, amiright

• Like 9

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

Soup question! Huzzah!

I don’t. I used to carry a knife that theoretically could. But, now the carrying of ‘dangerous weapons’ is such a problem...

...must research: manual can openers, non-Weapons grade. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

Yes.

Unless I'm in an airport, I always have a knife and a Leatherman.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

Most of the soup cans sold here have lids with a pull tab, so yes.   I have fingers.

If the pull tab doesn’t work or there isn’t one, then no, I don’t carry such implements.  It’s simpler that way (especially since I do sometimes have to enter buildings where possession of weapons is forbidden).  I have a can opener at home.  There’s a can opener at work.  It’s rather unlikely I will need to open a can outside of either location.  (And if I get stranded somewhere, it’s rather unlikely I will have access to cans anyway.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1