redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

Thursday, September 13: Do you carry with you, at all times, tools sufficient to open a can of soup? (Or other canned goods)

Boo, Xiwo Xerase beat me to the playful comment about pull tabs being on most ready to serve/eat soups nowadays. 

I'm pretty much the same way as them, in that I usually don't have a can opener on hand.  I've thought about a multi-tool but eh, at least for now. 

• Like 5

Speaking of soup... 

Thursday, September 13: Do you carry with you, at all times, tools sufficient to open a can of soup? (Or other canned goods)

No, however I always have my car keys, and my car contains a small assortment of things for minor emergencies, one of which is a multi-tool that could do the trick in a pinch.

• Like 8

On 9/11/2018 at 2:36 PM, Chaoswolf said:

I generally try not to. Every once in a while, I'll catch myself and make an effort to reality slap myself and realize that there are a lot of people who would be very happy to be where I am.

Same here. Having a couple of friends end up in situations where they were literally living on almost nothing made me realize in a very big way just how much I have. 

If I had to pick one, I suppose I would say the Internet/instant communication. Being in a cabin with spotty wifi and cell coverage for a week during the summer and trying to coordinate meals and activities with 3 different family groups (also with spotty coverage) made me realize just how much I rely on it. 

On 9/12/2018 at 12:45 AM, redambrosia said:

This question come from @Crowley

Wednesday, September 12: What sort of supplies do you keep stocked for disaster situations?

A bit, but not enough. We have sufficient foodstuffs to last MrBoot and I about 3-4 weeks, less if we lost the fridge and freezer. A couple flats of bottled water, light medical supplies, extras of toiletries (tp, soap, toothpaste, etc). A small propane gas stove, matches, candles, a small flashlight in each room, rope. Also a spare car battery with jumping capability and an outlet on it.

Still want to get a water purification system, more propane, some emergency blankets, a small toolkit to keep in the car, and a place to store lots more water. 

Speaking of soup... 

No, but I can be very creative in finding or making tools from unorthodox materials. I'd figure something out. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 8

Why would you want to open soup?  It would let the contents drain out and it would not be good to bring down food.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Speaking of soup... 

I've been carrying a Victorinox Swisstool for long enough that its first nylon belt pouch disintegrated and I had to buy another. (About 20 years, I think). Best multi-tool I've ever worked with.

The only times I'm not carrying it are if I'm in a courthouse or under the thumb of the TSA.

Or naked. ::D:

• Like 10

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

I mean, I usually carry physical currency sufficient to purchase a really cheap can opener. Does that count?

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Speaking of soup... 

During my workday I always have an army knife with multiple tools at my disposal.

At home I have enough tools, a real can opener among them ::):

If all that fails there are plenty of ways of opening a can should the need arise.

• Like 7

Speaking of soup... 

My bag in my car has a manual can opener and my purse has one of those punch top/bottle opener combo things (mostly because when I splurge on a soda, I prefer those in a glass bottle)

I really should get a leatherman. I watched a video a while ago where someone demonstrated that you could open a can of soup just with a sidewalk curb by rubbing one section of the lip on it over and over again until you broke the seam. Time consuming I suppose but it could work!

• Like 8

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

If there is concrete around, I can open a can.

• Like 12

I know where the can opener is, but as someone already said most come with pop tops now.  I used to carry a knife, but so many people get wound up over that these days. I suppose I can always ruin a pair of scissors. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

Yes, Swiss Army knife always in in my pocket except when flying.

But airline meals are so awful these days that I wish they would let me bring a can of soup instead!

• Like 7

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Speaking of soup... 

If I'm not at home I wouldn't have anything to open it with if it wasn't a pull tab.

I have manual can opener at home though.

• Like 7

I do not (unless the soup can has a micro-USB port).

I don't recall an emergency situation in my life where immediate access to soup was the solution.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Speaking of soup... 

The secret is to bang the rocks together, guys.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

The only times I'm not carrying it are if I'm in a courthouse or under the thumb of the TSA.

(Bother can’t post a link.)

swissarmy.com......etc, etc.  Jetsetter $24

(...but no can opener)

Sigh. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4