redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

At least now I know what a “skeletor” tool is. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 14: 

Is there a song that makes you nostalgic for your “youth”? If so, what is it?

Define "youth" as you wish.

Yes and no.  We have "classics" like "Another one Bites the Dust" by Queen that I liked so much when I was young and growing up that it was the first record I learned to play (with mom showing me how to use their record player once I was tall and old enough, because man would I request she put that song on a LOT).  Newer stuff we have things like, uhm...  I'll say it's track 5 on Combichrist's 2007 album - forum swear filter would remove half the words of the title...  Why?  Because that was a really really REALLY good show back in 2007, and it brings back a lot of good memories ^_^

• Like 6

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 14: 

AC/DC - Whole Lotta Rosie / Cheap Trick - I want you to want me

• Like 7

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 14: 

“Weird Al” Yankovic, “Dare to Be Stupid”

It was a standard song for road trips until I left for college.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 14: 

So, yes, lots, but I have a story about one that I like in particular. Youth in this case is probably my 20s. The song is from late 1995, but the incident below happened a couple years later.

There were so many good songs from this band, and on this album in particular, but one got lodged in a dream and in that dream I had the revelation that it was the most important song in the world. I felt as if I had unlocked some great human mystery in the dream, and I woke up knowing it was the most important dream that I'd ever have.

Of course, those are all just silly dream feelings that one gets occasionally, but I still listen extra hard to this song when it comes up on random, and will often play it a second or third time in a row just to be sure I'm not missing the great secret hidden somewhere inside. I think it must be in the quiet part somewhere. Or the end. Or maybe the first line. Seriously, if you like lyrics, even if you hate this band, read the lyrics. There's something there I think.

Album recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHR0MBF-AZc
Excellent live version from 1996: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQesSk_7i50

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 14: 

Styx - Renegade

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Meat Loaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light

Kansas - Dust in the Wind

Abba - Move On

AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Berliner Philharmoniker, Karajan - Beethoven, 9th Symphony, 4th Movement

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 14: 

This album takes me back...  
D.R.I. - Dealing With It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_A7n87TPBo

Edited by Seer of the Pitt
  • Like 6

I'll answer this backward. 

40 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Is there a song that makes you not nostalgic for your “youth”? If so, what is it?

"Back in the USSR" by the Beatles.  At my dorm room as I was drifting off to sleep I would be startled awake by a plane landing right over my bed.  Then the guitars would start.  My suite mate on the other side of our thin dorm walls would have the stereo cranked up to 9 to play this song.  On the other hand I am grateful that I had Al next to me and not Fred.  Fred was a Electronics Engineering major that had a stereo so complicated that every once in a while he would loose the sound in a loop.  To get out of it he would turn up the volume a touch and flip a random switch.  If that did not work he would continue until he got a sound.  It would always take may random switches to get it to sound.  Once my roommate Paul was on his bed.  When it started to work he was shaken off his bed by the sound and the speakers blew their cones. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 14: 

Songs from Labyrinth or The Neverending Story. 

Alan Parsons Project, Eye in the Sky album. 

Elton John, Durban Deep. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 14: 

TV Show Themes from my youth: Voltron, Transformers, M.A.S.K., The A-Team, MacGuyver...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Every 80's cartoon theme song.

I was going to go with "The Tocuh" as a stand in, but yes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 14: 

Lots but the first that pops to mind is Tom Petty Won't Back Down. Brings back a ton of conflicting emotions (hey it was high school) about a class trip to the far reaches of the north east near where Buglips was hatched. Lots of good, bad and embarrassing for me on that trip. That song and album was big part of the background music then.

• Like 8