redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

14 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 14: 

Is there a song that makes you nostalgic for your “youth”? If so, what is it?

Define "youth" as you wish.

Yes, lots.

Old Beach Boys stuff, 'cause my mom would sing it in the car on long trips.

"Jump" by Van Halen, my first introduction to modern rock and roll.

"Youth Gone Wild" by Skid Row for the whole 'teenage rebellion' thing (Actually a lot of 80's hair metal could go here, that was just the first one that sprang to mind).

"Running Free", "Remember Tomorrow", "Wratchild", "Killers", and "Innocent Exile" all by Iron Maiden. That was the track listing for the "Maiden Japan" ep that was my first 'real' heavy metal album.

There are many more...

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

"Youth Gone Wild" by Skid Row for the whole 'teenage rebellion' thing (Actually a lot of 80's hair metal could go here, that was just the first one that sprang to mind).

"18 and Life" and "I Remember You"....

I met a girl named Louise when I was in the psych ward when I was seventeen, and "I Remember You" was kind of our song. If you look really hard in the right light, you can still almost see her named carved into my arm.

I also used to listen to the Grateful Dead's Skeletons In The Closet and a lot of Janis Joplin on cassette when I'd stay up all night in my room writing.

Other than that, there's a lot of '80's songs that have memories attached to them.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Saturday, September 14: 

If you had an infinite budget to build a fort, what would you build?

Yesssss! I would build the ultimate pillow fort, with an amazing pillow maze! :lol: 

The towers would be armed with t-shirt cannons that would bombard our foes with those prickly grandma pillows! :devil:

• Haha 7

22 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 14: 

The Stranglers: "No More Heroes"

• Like 7

22 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Saturday, September 15: 

A black stone wizard's tower, with an observatory on top, balconies, some enclosed, on every side, and underground workshops. And probably a labyrinth stocked with horrible beasts.

Of course, I'd also need a bailey and the whole thing would have to be on top of a peak.

Or maybe a heavily reinforced concrete fortress on an island with heavy gun positions studded all around. And a large swimming pool, but no sharks.

ETA: Hmm, it looks like this is my post 11111. I didn't know that I had made 3110 posts.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Saturday, September 14: 

If you had an infinite budget to build a fort, what would you build? (...at 30mm / 1:60 scale)

I would have the people that build those ultra-posh, bespoke, gaming tables craft a model castle out the the finest hardwoods...to display Miniatures in. 

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Saturday, September 15: 

If you had an infinite budget to build a fort, what would you build? (...at 1800mm / 1:1 scale)

I would build Magritte’s Castle of the Pyrenees complete with a graV-Lev mountain, but the castle would be new, shiny, and gleaming white with all the high tech amenities. (Not drab gray and ruinous.) It would have two swimming pools, hot tubs, a helipad, robotic security drones, a vast library, a wood shop, satellite dishes, radar arrays, telescopes, the works..!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Saturday, September 14: 

Ah!

It would have all the luxuries inside with hobby rooms, gym, indoor and outdoor swimming pool, a large garden, a field to let the dogs run and play.

A small zoo, gazebos, superb kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms etc etc.

It would be protected by huge black obsidian walls and towers.

There would be automated defense systems to keep out all the uninvited ones supported by a small elite force of loyal humanoids.

The moat would be very wide and it would contain salt water being kept on the perfect temperature for my Bull Sharks.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

image.png.dbceb4222acac666a73e4e8f3322490b.png

This. Guarded by cats.  With a moat of chocolate sauce. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

A miniature Western fort that you can change to the configuration you need.  Who needs a real fort?  A miniature fort is so much more practicable.

• Like 8

On 9/14/2018 at 4:52 AM, redambrosia said:

Friday, September 14: 

19 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Every 80's cartoon theme song.

^^ This and some of the early 90's ones too. 

Also the Crow soundtrack. 

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Saturday, September 14: 

I'd build a castle above the clouds!

Wyvern_On_top_of_Eyrie.jpg.51e73971ab3ca0933a0e4552c76ba750.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ttuckerman said:

A miniature Western fort that you can change to the configuration you need.  Who needs a real fort?  A miniature fort is so much more practicable.

So... Lincoln logs? :rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Saturday, September 14: 

Does it really have to be a fort? I would much rather put up an aircraft hangar with living/work corner SO I would have enough room for all the parts of my project to be displayed.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I used to love my Lincoln Logs, I wonder what ever happened to 'em...

Saturday, September 14: 

Something as close to Predjama castle (google it, it's COOL) as I could get.

It's a castle built into a cave mouth/cliff face, with only one way to get to it, very easily defensible. It's also got a secret passage!

• Like 5