redambrosia

Getting to Know You: Sept 2018

21 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Saturday, September 22: 

What is the most amazing slow motion video you've ever seen?

Sorry, I've got nothing for this one.

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sunday, September 23: What is the dumbest solution to a problem you've had, that actually worked?

If it actually worked, maybe it's not quite so dumb, right? ::D:

Hitting a sensitive piece of electronic equipment with a large blunt object to get it to work correctly. (Otherwise known as percussive maintenance.)  

I've done this a lot over my lifetime.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 5

There is the classic fix for Apple iii problems.  Take the front of the computer up 4" and let go.  This was actually recommended by Apple and it worked.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I actually never watched one.

Not even Mythbusters, or explosions?

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Sunday, September 23: What is the dumbest solution to a problem you've had, that actually worked?

Id say Vaseline on a motherboard to prevent death by condensation for subzero overclocking, or throwing said motherboard in the dishwasher to clean the residue off when selling your hardware...  It's something a lot of overclockers do, but I use liquid electrical tape and armaflex because that actually insulates from the cold... 

Uhm, something stupid I've done that worked...  Does driving into a six foot tall snowbank to avoid someone flying around a blind corner count as dumb/stupid enough?   Why they though going 70+ kph in a residential area on a blind corner was a good idea, I'll never know.  How that fully loaded P500 actually listened to what I asked of it in a split second is also something I won't know - just like how I managed to coax armstrong steering to turn that sharply... 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Pretending not to hear when a woman was calling my name across the parking lot. She ended up marrying me.

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Sorry, I've got nothing for this one.

If it actually worked, maybe it's not quite so dumb, right? ::D:

Hitting a sensitive piece of electronic equipment with a large blunt object to get it to work correctly. (Otherwise known as percussive maintenance.)  

I've done this a lot over my lifetime.

This was going to be one of my answers. As a certified Electronics Service Technician, I can confirm that this works........for a time.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Long time ago during D&D, our group was tasked with getting the tooth of a giant crocodile. 

We sought out a crocodile... the size of a house.... and we fought it. The rogue's brilliant idea was to crawl into its mouth and start to saw at a tooth with his short sword. Somehow the group managed to survive this mess (must have been me - I was the healer after all), and get a tooth. 

We were later informed by the DM that there were enormous shed teeth all over the river and all we had to do was go swimming. We took the dumb brute force method. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Like @Chaoswolfsaid if it worked it wasn't that dumb.

So I have no memory of a dumb solution, only of things that worked or not.

1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Not even Mythbusters, or explosions?

Hm, I did watch mythbusters, I thought it had to be a movie on it's own, like a youtube clip in slow motion.

So...yeah...mythbusters!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Then it off then back on again. Or plug it in. Or make sure the power strip is on. Or...

• Like 8

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

We had a dishwasher that would occasionally lock you out and refuse to run. Got on the internet and found that if you hold this certain button down for 5 seconds and release followed by 10 seconds, followed by 15 seconds, it would disable whatever security feature was malfunctioning. We could not believe it worked and we applauded the kind of trial and error it takes to discover something like that. 

On an old car of mine my friends dad came over to look at it because it wouldn't start. Quickly discovered that a cable from the shifter had come loose and the car thought it was in drive. 

He fixed it with a paperclip, intending to find a replacement part. Turns out the replacement was more expensive than he or I wanted so he just wrapped the paperclip in heatsink, shrunk it down and called it good. Never had another problem with it. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 9/22/2018 at 1:05 PM, redambrosia said:

Saturday, September 22: 

What is the most amazing slow motion video you've ever seen?

A pulse of light shining through a plastic soda bottle filled with water.

Ordinary, no?

There were so many frames per second you could see the pulse as it moved.

https://youtu.be/EtsXgODHMWk

• Like 5

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I don't fully understand this one myself, but it caused my programmer uncle to say "That...shouldn't have worked. Why did that work?! :blink:"

I was trying to set up a wired LAN between my desktop and MrBoot's laptop. Nothing was working, until finally I set the port of one computer as the port number of the other, and vice versa. I didn't know what it was I actually did, but it started working after that, so I didn't question the tech spirits too closely. :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I live in the land of using barbed wire or baler twine to fix almost anything. In the last years there's this stuff called "Duck Tape" that has taken over much of the same tasks. I don't understand the "dumbest" part of the question. And can't think of anything that hasn't already been mentioned. I'll be back if something interesting comes to mind.

• Like 8

Problem statement:

Automated, motion sensing, electrical, gadgetified, miserly, touch-free, paper towel dispensing machines...

...the very existence of which 

IS the problem. I hate and detest those things to the point of wanting to apply extensive “percussive maintenance” with at least a baseball bat everytime I see one. It is so incredibly annoying to stand there with my sopping wet, enormous, bear paw-ish hands trying convince those blasted things to give up the several pieces of paper towel required to dry off... :angry: :grr: ::(: ...[/rant]

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

B6DC390D-F526-447C-B846-267F6B03986E.thumb.jpeg.13e70571ef7c9fe1dd0c4da72b10fccc.jpeg

...somebody fixed it for me. :blues:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Glaring, pointing at the thing, and growling, "Stay."

To an inanimate object that immediately ceased to stop constantly falling off the thing it was placed on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:
15 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Turn it off then back on again.

I was hoping this one would pop up. Always works.

Except when it doesn't.... :P

6 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Glaring, pointing at the thing, and growling, "Stay."

To an inanimate object that immediately ceased to stop constantly falling off the thing it was placed on.

Yes!! Command Inanimate Object is one of my verbal cantrips.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1