Pragma

Wyrmgear WIP

I have been thinking about taking on this project for quite a long time now, and I thought that making a WIP thread might help motivate me to keep going. So far I haven't painted or even primed anything, I've just been working on the base and modifying the figure a little bit.

Here is the base:

base-unpainted.thumb.jpg.2da4129f4f3f75e672a7c4dca7324ed6.jpg

The outer numbers were all done by hand in sculpey. About half the gears and the clock hands were made with a press mold from greenstuffworld, the rest of the gears came out of a broken clock. The rest of the bits on the base were random pieces of junk I had collected for just such an occasion :). Then there are three magnets to hold the feet of the figure, like so:

base-with-clocky.thumb.jpg.77544a104b01f51b7ec2fa78f6c51108.jpg

I'd be interested to hear any comments or suggestions on the base before I bake and prime it. I am generally pretty happy with it, but there is still some time to move things around.

I have also begun modifying the wings to make them poseable, hopefully more on that later. I have also been thinking of using a stencil to airbrush a sort of pattern on the wings, but I'm not sure exactly what yet. Steampunk tribal butterfly wings? Is that a thing?

• Like 18

Ooooh, when you say poseable, do you mean like with articulating joints so it can be changed later on without surgery?

Out of sheer curiosity, what's the plan with the magnets?  Is it just to provide more support, or something else? ^_^

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Ooooh, when you say poseable, do you mean like with articulating joints so it can be changed later on without surgery?

Not joints, exactly. I was thinking about putting something like a hinged joint -- that would be an ideal solution --- but I couldn't find anything that would work. But yes, I want to be able to move the wings around after it's painted. Right now I have a setup where I have the wings connected with bits of wire that are flexible enough to bend. I will try to take some pictures later.

39 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Out of sheer curiosity, what's the plan with the magnets?  Is it just to provide more support, or something else? ^_^

The magnets are just to hold the figure to the base, while also allowing me to remove it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, LarsM said:

The base is really really cool. 

Thanks, I hope it will look even better when primed.

• Like 2

base-primed.thumb.JPG.1ae5297b5e05db46132387754edad117.JPG

Base primed! It took me a while to glue everything into the right place and I had to go over it with greenstuff to fix a bunch of gaps. I adjusted a few things here and there, but it's basically the same design.

Still thinking about what to do next, maybe I will plan out some wing designs.

• Like 13

Thanks y'all! I am very happy with how it turned out.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:41 AM, minipaintingstudio said:

Knock out job on that base!  Maybe you should make a greenstuff mold of it for other people to admire it in person :) 

I tried doing a press mold of gears at one point, but it was not very successful. I think you just lose too much detail in the process, the corners become rounded and you lose the mechanical effect. You would almost certainly be better off buying a silicone mold, or even better just buy some gears and other steampunky bits.

• Like 2

So I thought I would share some of my process of making the wings adjustable. I tried a few different options before finding something that seems to work. It's not too hard to make (or buy) a hinge, the tricky part is making something that will support the weight of the wing and hold it in place.

Here is the solution I settled on. First, I cut off the tab that holds the wing in place, and drilled two small holes at a 45 degree angle.

wing-holes.jpg.10c2198055a02a200c6593d6b452a1b0.jpg

On the body, I filled in part of the slot for the tab, and drilled matching holes at 45 degrees (these look a little rough because I experimented with lots of different designs, resulting in some of wear on the holes).

wing-shoulder.jpg.77af3d6fee5b4d1a4a146228fffc0372.jpg

Then I hold each wing to the body with two short pieces of wire. The wire is flexible enough that the wings are adustable, but strong enough to hold the weight of a wing. Here is what it looks like positioned at an angle:

wing-attached.jpg.2653a3510d5c1b9c46d02af7213f4622.jpg

Simple, not super attractive, but quite effective.

Has anyone else tried a modification like this? What did you do, and how did it go?

• Like 7

It seems the wings and how they're placed is one of the more common alterations, but you're the first I've seen to try and hinge it, which I like, as the posing can be changed later on if one so wishes.  I wound up triple pinning each of my wings, but that was partially due to the amount of extra weight I'm putting on mine.

13 hours ago, Pragma said:

BRB, off to steal ideas from be inspired by your Wyrmgear WIP thread :)

Glad to hear others like my ideas enough to make use of them for their stuff ^_^

... Doubly so with how crazy some of them seem!