nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

I would assume that there will be painting and a lot of hella nerdy people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kharsin said:

Ready!? I'm so far off the bandwagon I didn't realize that ReaperCon 2018 was scheduled until the week before Labor Day. I guess that means that I have plenty of time to not be ready? Are there details yet as I loved 2016... which was the last time I made it. 

Embasy Suites and Denton Convention Center

Denton, TX.

Labor Day Weekend [starting on Thursday]

Announced Theme: Vengeance of the Wraith King

Note: This is all unofficial but what I remeber from official sources.

GEM

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I would assume that there will be painting and a lot of hella nerdy people. 

Which would be a spot on guess from my observations.

And that includes some of the Hotel Staff, who were super pumped up and excited about having their people having a convention where they work.

GEM

• Like 5

17 hours ago, haldir said:

Retail.

Grocery, actually. Thou, I don't really deal with customers. If anything, maybe for an hour per day I'm at work, even if that. I'm the head freight manager of a crew of 2 people & we work graveyard when the store is closed. My co-worker has been there for 36 years, myself 25. He is one of the most reliable & probably hardest working persons in that entire store, including myself. 

Labor day, the 4th, Christmas, etc etc. are holidays that we are extremely busy, thus the store needs all hands on deck. When one of freight crew goes on vacation, they have to pull from the day shift (normally one of the managers). Thus pulling people away from when the store actually needs help. Thou, lately I wonder what that actual "work" is anymore.....

Sadly, the new store director denied my co-worker's request for vacation the week of Valentine's Day this year, citing it was too buy of a day....Ummmmm yah ok. We have nothing to do with Valentine's Day. Really only the floral & the meat departments are the ones that are busy. I chalk it up to her just transfering to our store & didn't want to deal with the hassle of someone taking vacation right then & there.

While I'm sure to get my LVO vacation off next Feb (knock on wood), I kinda dread not getting it as it's the weekend before V-day. If she tries to pull that Boocrap next year.

While people may look at Labor Day as day off from work, I treat it as just anther day. Kinda like every other day of the year. About all I look forward to is I get time & half for that day. ^_^

Ahh I see... I worked in a restaurant and although vacations were pretty cut throat during holidays (except Mother's Day... nobody except the most veteran moms gets off for mothers day), all other normal holidays could accommodate at least a few people asking off at a time. You'd have to kind of divvy the holiday vacation around, but it was possible. I wouldn't think Labor Day would be so busy, I guess its a good grilling weekend.

• Like 2

While I can't predict the future dates, data supports it remaining on Labor Day weekend. Con attendance jumped from around 600 last year to just over a 1,000 this year. For me it just means that the vendor room is a little harder to fill up.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Heisler said:

While I can't predict the future dates, data supports it remaining on Labor Day weekend. Con attendance jumped from around 600 last year to just over a 1,000 this year. For me it just means that the vendor room is a little harder to fill up.

If that's the case, then 2018 will probably be my last Rcon vacation.

I did get good news today, the store director that they hired last November is transferring out soon (she really didn't want to be at this store anyways). Granted that does nothing for me asking for days off but at least it makes Valentine's day a lesser holiday again. :lol:

Still I for one would hate to miss ReaperCon every year. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, haldir said:

If that's the case, then 2018 will probably be my last Rcon vacation.

I did get good news today, the store director that they hired last November is transferring out soon (she really didn't want to be at this store anyways). Granted that does nothing for me asking for days off but at least it makes Valentine's day a lesser holiday again. :lol:

Still I for one would hate to miss ReaperCon every year. 

According to @ladystorm the contract with the new Convention Center was for two years.

I would assume the dates were for comparable time periods for both years.

Thinking back on your collective explanations of your problems with getting time off for desired dates, your employer needs a designated "floater" that can be assigned to fill in for all employee  time off in your group.

Not to have such a designated position is just inefficient and borderline incompetent on managements part, as it is SOP in so many industries.

GEM

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

According to @ladystorm the contract with the new Convention Center was for two years.

I would assume the dates were for comparable time periods for both years.

Thinking back on your collective explanations of your problems with getting time off for desired dates, your employer needs a designated "floater" that can be assigned to fill in for all employee  time off in your group.

Not to have such a designated position is just inefficient and borderline incompetent on managements part, as it is SOP in so many industries.

GEM

I work mainly in retail and have for a while. The place I work at now is a little tinier but everyone is pretty much a floater or can do most other jobs so its not a problem. I get the blackout dates for big holidays but working in retail you should deserve to be able to take breaks trust me.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

I'm not ready. I'm not ready. I haven't even started painting yet. =P

Our box of supplies arrived today!  I am out of excuses for beginning to design my diorama!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, edz16 said:

I think that after the two years they are looking to push it back into October.

Oddly after attending it in the spring for as long as I did I didn't think I'd like the October date. In the end I liked the October dates even more now.

• Like 4

I know I'll prefer it in October. 

As for being ready? In my heart? Yes! 

Do I have anything ready to enter into the painting competition?

No. I... I should get on that. Cause while I have plans, I need actual painted minis to enter! :lol:

• Like 6

Next year Labor Day might actually work for me easier. October may be a little tougher to swing, but if I ask the adviser way in advance... maybe maybe. 

I really should also paint stuff to show off. Instead I'm drinking beer and eating curry gruel (okay, and pondering paint jobs). 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, edz16 said:

I think that after the two years they are looking to push it back into October.

Who did you hear that from? (I'm honestly just curious) All I have heard confirmed by Reaper staff directly is that next year will be the same date and place. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 4

The only thing I heard (and I asked several reaper people what they could tell me about it) was that next year was the same weekend because it was already contracted with the venue and they weren't sure what they would do after that.

• Like 5

Any dates after next year are pure speculation on my part. But jumping from 600 one year to 1000+ even when changing the date and the venue location is not an insignificant event.

• Like 9