nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

Being on labor day weekend definitely made it easier for me to come - that extra vacation day helped A LOT with transportation stuff. And I have other things I have to use vacation days for (ex. Mom's birthday is Christmas, so I need the day after off so I can spend the whole day on Christmas with her), so labor day is helpful in saving me that 1 additional vacation day. 

• Like 5

I'm in a similar boat as mouse. Labor Day weekend is easier for me.  in my contract with my Canadian client, I have most major US holidays off, and in return I cover their phones for Canadian holidays that don't conflict with those.  A couple of times now RCon has fallen on dates that are much harder for me to take off.   Plus October is the beginning of our busy season. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Heisler said:

Any dates after next year are pure speculation on my part. But jumping from 600 one year to 1000+ even when changing the date and the venue location is not an insignificant event.

Does the number include the Adventure League players? I know those tables were packed every time they ran a game this year.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, haldir said:

Does the number include the Adventure League players? I know those tables were packed every time they ran a game this year.

No idea, I was only told raw numbers not the breakdown.

• Like 2

I did not attend--I wanted to be there, but grown-up things (home repairs, animal care, etc.) had to take precedence.

Labor Day is, for me, a right brutal day to try to take off.  My work load is heavily distributed to the front of the month, and while I can squeeze a day out of the office in some cases, it generally causes me problems later.  Now, if the day after Labor Day is the first business day of the month I am good (because that means that I'm taking the end of August as time off and not the beginning of September).  So this year and next would be flukes that allow me to attend, whereas most other years would be off-limits.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Heisler said:

Any dates after next year are pure speculation on my part. But jumping from 600 one year to 1000+ even when changing the date and the venue location is not an insignificant event.

I was thinking the same thing when you first talked about the numbers.

Somehow, I have a suspicion that the Labor Day weekend works out better for more people.

GEM

• Like 2

I am ready!!

I will do everything in my power to make it to ReaperCon 2019. Missing one year was one too many.

(Labor Day is *much* better for me than the October date, but I will try to make it whenever.)

• Like 4

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:04 PM, Heisler said:

While I can't predict the future dates, data supports it remaining on Labor Day weekend. Con attendance jumped from around 600 last year to just over a 1,000 this year. For me it just means that the vendor room is a little harder to fill up.

I think this is also the first Reapercon where a date change cut the time between cons to under 12 months.  When it moved to October it gained 6 months, but this change lost 2.5 months and was announced early this year so at least 2 months after Rcon '17.  So prep time for the con was shorter than usual by about 4-5 months.  To gain attendance on the other side of that means next year will probably be bigger as people/vendors not able to attend this year work around the new date.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Heisler said:

No idea, I was only told raw numbers not the breakdown.

Seems that the classes were well attended too, loads were sold out, so a lot of interest there.  

• Like 2

On 9/13/2018 at 10:26 AM, Heisler said:

I have to admit that I have a little trouble wrapping my brain around a ReaperCon that size. If I manage to make it back next year, it might be a bit of a shock to see the massed crowds at the gate.

At this stage, ReaperCon is becoming a pretty significant regional convention.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I have to admit that I have a little trouble wrapping my brain around a ReaperCon that size. If I manage to make it back next year, it might be a bit of a shock to see the massed crowds at the gate.

The weird thing is that because of how it was spaced out, it actually felt like half as many as last year.  If you look in the picture thread for a lot of the con you can see a lot of empty seats in the ballroom. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

It's big, but because of the new venue, it didn't feel crowded or confined in my mind. How many were there for the minis and how many were there for the multitude games (or both), I have no idea.

I think the biggest crowds were during happy hour when a line formed up for the free drinks.

• Like 4