nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

9 hours ago, klarg1 said:

I have to admit that I have a little trouble wrapping my brain around a ReaperCon that size. If I manage to make it back next year, it might be a bit of a shock to see the massed crowds at the gate.

At this stage, ReaperCon is becoming a pretty significant regional convention.

As I've seen Rcon grow from In the factory to factory/hotel to hotel to strip mall back to hotel, it's been quite a journey. Funny how the first year I went, official hotel was the Super 8 (down the road on I35, back toward the airport. You prob seen the sign on the left side coming in).

There were no treats for staying at the hotel besides Reaper rate (which I can't recall if there was one, come to think about it) 

SWAG bags were minimal (which I think was just the shirt & Con Sophie) but the t-shirt (B&W picture on the back with Con year & reaper logo on the breast pocket area + only option black) was included. I think it was 30 dollars for a 4 day pass & Swag. 

Con mini was 20insert year here Con Sophie. No theme, just Sophie being Sophie in different costumes. Mouselings were a distance dream. 

I don't even think there was a special paint. Thou I do recall being handed a new fancy no label bottle called "new clear red". The Clears weren't out yet, ie sample.

About the only vendor was Mario & his family @ Frontline games. Funny I've been able to see his kids grow up over the years. 

Swag points were still valid & were worth Reaper bucks. The point value got mixed up & were worth more then intended but nothing like it is today.

Heck my 1st auction win was a Laszlo Juckovsky(sp) (Hot lead DVD Painter) practice mini from the class he taught. (I was in it). 2nd year was my big win of Dragons don't share 1 for 432 Reaper bucks (& even then I recounting to make sure I had the amount). 

There were no groups back then as well. Also about the only thing that got you Rbs were classes & games & even then it was a fraction of what you get now. 

ReaperCon has definitely grow up, still not a adult of course but it has experience quite a bit of growth over the years. It'll always be a special time in my life & always look forward to making the trek down to attend. Minis & other stuff are great but it's the people that I've gotten to know over the many years I've attended that bring me back every time. 

Funny thing is while I wad helping break down the Con on Sunday evening, Ron said something along the lines of "what has ReaperCon done for you?" & my reply was

"Ron, you've gotten me out of my"crap" hole town for 4 days every year the past 14 years. That good enough for me! "

Well worth the money & effort in attending. 

(apologies for the lengthy post. I guess I got nostalgic......) 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

"what has ReaperCon done for you?"

I think it should be "What has Reaper done for you?" because it is not just ReaperCon that I enjoy but the entire company and community.  All of it together has given my daughter and I something to enjoy together as she grows up and that right there is worth all the money I have spent on minis we may never even touch with a brush.

• Like 11

"What has ReaperCon done for me"?

ReaperCon has given me access to some of the best artists and instructors in our hobby, and has helped me to build a wonderful network of friends around the world.

That it also provides one of the best extended weekends of my year every year is just a bonus.

• Like 8

"what has ReaperCon done for you?"

Introduced me to a whole new world of paints, and how to paint in general. Before reapercon I used artists liquitex artists acrylics in the tubes and I had to mix every color. now I have a huge assortment of colors at my finger tips. I now know how to use greenstuff, base, mod, airbrush, etc...

As a bonus I have a whole new group of people I can see once a year and just hang with and paint... that is awesome...

• Like 5

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:42 AM, haldir said:

Funny thing is while I wad helping break down the Con on Sunday evening, Ron said something along the lines of "what has ReaperCon done for you?" & my reply was

"Ron, you've gotten me out of my"crap" hole town for 4 days every year the past 14 years. That good enough for me! "

Well worth the money & effort in attending. 

(apologies for the lengthy post. I guess I got nostalgic......) 

What has reapercon done for me?

Ill second the crap hole town sentiment lol, also allowed me to meet great like minded people and make new lasting friendships. It has also given me the confidence I needed to really start painting in earnest and try new things.  I cant wait to have my piece judged next year! 

• Like 7

"What has ReaperCon done for me"?

My first ReaperCon was in 2007. I went with the intention of learning how to become a better mini painter. In many ways it succeeded in helping me to do that, but not in the way you might think.

What I really figured out was that I was happy with my level of painting them. No, I wasn't even close to being good, but I was happy with my results.  The funny thing about that was when I stopped stressing about getting better, guess what happened?

I got better.

My painting will likely never be all that great in quality. And I'm OK with that. 

The other thing RCon 2007 did for me was it got me pushing putty. I took Bob Ridolfi's Conversion class then on a whim, and started experimenting with green stuff and ProCreate after that.  I found I really enjoy doing conversions, and adding details to minis to personalize them. 

• Like 4