nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

1 hour ago, rawlkeer said:

I think I will just keep it the way it is and see how it goes

Or...you could take the difference and spend it at the con.....

• Like 4

@rawlkeer I might be misremembering, but I’m pretty sure that a couple of weeks or a week before the actual stay when they email you to let you know that you can do early check in, you should be able to decline the upgrade if you decide that you don’t want it in the Hilton Honors app. I’m pretty sure at that time, the app told me the upgrade was available and I had to accept it in the app. Even if I’m not remembering correctly, you could probably call the hotel directly at that point to tell them you’d rather stick with a regular room

I will also note that, billing mistake aside, the upgrade was not worth it specifically to us partially because we drove in and thus already had snacks and drinks and so the additional stuff in the room didn’t add any convenience for us. If you’re flying in, it may be a decent option to not have to worry about the bother of trying to get somewhere for such things. We also didn’t care about getting a better view or a corner suite (I know such things do matter to some people) because I have a pretty bad phobia of heights and so we just kept the curtains closed the whole time. The pesky maids kept opening them back up to let light into the room though, as if anyone wants any of that <_< and I’d get a temporary case of vertigo as a result. 

• Like 6

We were in a corner. Pretty much right above the pool. It was a nice view but nothing you really needed for the Con itself. 

I recall the upgrade option, thou mostly for the prices on what I could have in the room. Beverages, food et, et. Uhhh no thanks! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, haldir said:

Man, even with LVO vacation coming up I'm missing not going to Rcon already this year. I'm still planning 2020 as my return but who knows with the new big boss now. He was kinda grumpy when I asked for this one off..... 

WHAT!?!?!?!?  You're not coming????  It's not ReaperCon without you.  Now I'm going to have to make a full-sized cardboard version of you in the squirrel suit that I can place in the hall, just to ensure we get the proper experience.

15 hours ago, Marineal said:

Well be there Wed-Sun as well, as I'm assuming there's still the Meat and Greet wednesday. Either way, it's a 6 hour drive up, and I'd rather be fresh to start the next day. ::D:

I'm excited to try this place out! my favorite year was when the con was at the hotel, so this is promising! 

I'm doubly excited cause the Great Bearded One wants to take a sculpting class! 

Wait until you see this new hotel.  Makes the old HGI look run down.  

Whether GBO takes one of my classes or someone else's, make sure he knows that if he wants help or advice or one-on-one training, to let me know and we can sit down at a table at some point and push putty.

On another note, I got my room reserved.  Mrs. Spinner and the youngest will once more be accompanying me down this year.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

WHAT!?!?!?!?  You're not coming????  It's not ReaperCon without you.  Now I'm going to have to make a full-sized cardboard version of you in the squirrel suit that I can place in the hall, just to ensure we get the proper experience.

Unfortunately this time its true. With the date change to Labor Day for awhile its gonna be allot more difficult to come down now..::(:

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Mrs. Spinner and the youngest will once more be accompanying me down this year.

Did I meet the family?  I can't remember if I met the family.  

I'm kinda starting to worry about this chunk of missing time, actually.  If people start conspiring to tell stories of things I did that I actually didn't do, I have no way to refute the claims.  

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I have no way to refute the claims.

You're a goblin. You already have no way to refute the claims. :lol:

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, Mr Melons said:

Or...you could take the difference and spend it at the con.....

That sounds like a much better idea. I'm not planning on being in the room much

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Wait until you see this new hotel.  Makes the old HGI look run down.  

Whether GBO takes one of my classes or someone else's, make sure he knows that if he wants help or advice or one-on-one training, to let me know and we can sit down at a table at some point and push putty.

On another note, I got my room reserved.  Mrs. Spinner and the youngest will once more be accompanying me down this year.

Awesome! I'll definitely let him know!! I'm sure he'd be interested in that! ::D:

• Like 2

I did have a sneaky look at the cost of flights to Texas, and they weren't too bad, but OH and I only really get to make 1 international trip a year and I think I'll have a tough time convincing him that this years destination should be a convention  as opposed to a beach ::D: A girl can dream though right?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I doubt it.  My wife spent most of the Con (at least the days) out either estate sale shopping or going to thrift stores. My son was glued to this or that game for most of it.  If you were at the auction though, he was the red-haired kid who got the resin Mal and got so excited that he threw the money in the air.

1 hour ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

I did have a sneaky look at the cost of flights to Texas, and they weren't too bad, but OH and I only really get to make 1 international trip a year and I think I'll have a tough time convincing him that this years destination should be a convention  as opposed to a beach ::D: A girl can dream though right?

There are beaches in TX:

image.png.73515da6f4f69e0ccacf8359112456c6.png

Of course it is about a 6 hour drive through the desert from Dallas, but... it is in TX.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

There are beaches in TX:

Of course it is about a 6 hour drive through the desert from Dallas, but... it is in TX.

A 6 hour drive?! I'm from England- anything more than a 3 hour drive and we just fly! Beach does look nice though- all adds to my case, plus petrol is way cheaper in America so a 6 hour drive probably isn't AS much of a money guzzler!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

A 6 hour drive?! I'm from England- anything more than a 3 hour drive and we just fly! Beach does look nice though- all adds to my case, plus petrol is way cheaper in America so a 6 hour drive probably isn't AS much of a money guzzler!

LOL, I drive the 14 hours from MN to TX every year; the total gas (petrol) bill for 4 people for the whole trip (30 hours on the road) is typically around $300 to $600 depending on the gas prices that year. But that is about the longest trip I will drive.

If that is the case, there are probably closer ones than that.  That is South Padre Island, in Corpus Christi, TX.  There are also beaches up by Port Aransas and Galveston (which are 1 and 2 hours closer to Dallas respectively), though I don't know if they are nice or not. 

If you have never been to TX, a fun trip would be to go to ReaperCon in Dallas, drive down to Corpus Christi and spend a couple days at the beach, then drive to San Antonio and see the Alamo and the River Walk, then fly home from there.  That said, in August that trip will be very HOT!!!  Like 100+ deg F (37 to 40 deg C). But it is also the tourist off season so the resorts on South Padre will be a lot cheaper in August.

Huston and Galveston are also ports of call for Carnival and a few other cruise lines, so you might be able to go to ReaperCon, then drive the 3 to 4  hours to Galveston and take a Caribbean cruise.

• Like 6

I reserved my hotel room a little while ago. Now I'm just hoping the massive work deadline looming at the beginning of august doesn't slip, and I am able to take the time off to make it to the con. :unsure:

Missing last year was sad, but necessary. I'd hate to miss two in a row. I haven't even seen the new venue!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I doubt it.  My wife spent most of the Con (at least the days) out either estate sale shopping or going to thrift stores. My son was glued to this or that game for most of it.  If you were at the auction though, he was the red-haired kid who got the resin Mal and got so excited that he threw the money in the air.

We didn't make the auction, but we did meet them in the lobby on Wednesday. Y'all walked up while we were talking to Gene and Jason.

I don't know why Buglips can't remember anything. I need to get him checked for worms or something.

@buglips*the*goblin Do you remember meeting my family at least? ::P:

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

LOL, I drive the 14 hours from MN to TX every year; the total gas (petrol) bill for 4 people for the whole trip (30 hours on the road) is typically around $300 to $600 depending on the gas prices that year. But that is about the longest trip I will drive.

We do 9+ hours and last year we topped out around $120 for the whole trip since there was no back and forth between the hotel and event. My car's small, as is the fuel tank, but it's pretty fuel efficient....especially considering it has to compensate for my lead foot. ::P:

• Like 5