nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

We'll just drive it. It's about a 6 hour drive, but it's not a bad one at all. To fly up there is about a 30 minute flight, but it's an hour drive from here to the airport, have to rent a car blah blah blah. 

The Great Bearded One and I enjoy road trips quite a lot, so we're going to take advantage of a road trip without the Tiny Overlord. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, haldir said:

After years of having a 1 stop, I totally agree. Thou the only nonstop out of Boise is at 6am. Granted it beats having to hang around the airport all morning + it does get me into DFW around noon. So overall, it's good for me.

After flying SW I may reconsider my flight thou. It would mean Love field & such but allot of attendees use that airport as well. 

Yeah, SW is why I did the layover in HOB last year... it was not nice enough for the convenience of a direct flight...

• Like 2

Has any information been released yet on the RMS Open and other vendor rewards for the painting contest?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rawlkeer said:

I am sure Texas had GOT to have some seriously good Mexican food. Any suggestions for places near the hotel?

I know my wife and I went to one to the north. Sad thing is I can't remember if it was any good or not! Have to ask when she gets home from work.

• Like 1

Well it seems I just cannot win trying to get to Reapercon:( Last year I didn't have the money, and this year I cannot get anyone to watch the kids for a week:( Oh well, have fun everyone!

• Sad 5

38 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Well it seems I just cannot win trying to get to Reapercon:( Last year I didn't have the money, and this year I cannot get anyone to watch the kids for a week:( Oh well, have fun everyone!

This might be a completely wild notion, with no basis in common sense, but, perhaps... you could bring them along?

I'm .. mostly sure.. that combining kids with a few days worth of sharp instruments, superglue and random plastic parts to stick to things can't go wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

This might be a completely wild notion, with no basis in common sense, but, perhaps... you could bring them along?

I'm .. mostly sure.. that combining kids with a few days worth of sharp instruments, superglue and random plastic parts to stick to things can't go wrong. 

That thought crossed my mind, but the school would have my a**.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Ahh, that sucks.  Back when ReaperCon was in April and then October, I always had to leave the boys home, except the year I let my son have a Senior skip week (which he turned into an excused absence by adding a college visti to the trip).  Now that it is the week before Labor Day, my youngest can come with me as he starts school the day after we get back (MN schools start the day after Labor Day).

• Like 4

18 hours ago, rawlkeer said:

I am sure Texas had GOT to have some seriously good Mexican food. Any suggestions for places near the hotel?

There are several in the area, ranging from drive-thru to full service.  We went to one a mile or two up the road, it was very good, and way too much food. 

15 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

That is the advantage of having cats.  I fill up the feeder and put extra water down and we're good to go without any fear of child protective services. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, rawlkeer said:

Okay, wife has been asked and I remember now. We went to Villa Grande in the shopping center to the north. It’s got four stars on google. And, we took the food back to hotel and had it for lunch. 

There are several taco places around it appears too. I’ve enjoyed the Torchy’s Tacos near us, but the wife wasn’t as big a fan.

Looks to be a lot of places, obviously, within a fifteen minute drive as well. Too many for me to pick from really. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

I am assuming that the "school" is starting before labor Day.

That being the case, unless you have children on a year round track tell the school that the kids are going on an Educational Trip to Texas unless the school want's to make arrangement for 24 hour supervision of the children while you go to an Educational Seminar over the Labor Day Weekend.

Reaper University, while it may not be accredited in the customarily used sense of the word, has some of the finest and most knowledgeable instructors in the art world all gathered together for a concentrated educational experience.

GEM

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Okay, wife has been asked and I remember now. We went to Villa Grande in the shopping center to the north. It’s got four stars on google. And, we took the food back to hotel and had it for lunch. 

There are several taco places around it appears too. I’ve enjoyed the Torchy’s Tacos near us, but the wife wasn’t as big a fan.

Looks to be a lot of places, obviously, within a fifteen minute drive as well. Too many for me to pick from really. 

Torchy tacos?! Gotta love the sound of that :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Torchy's is pretty decent, but can feel overpriced for what you get.  I'll have to look up Villa Grande and check it out next time I'm in the area.
If anyone was up for a drive to Arlington, I know several places, but an hour away for lunch is a bit far....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I am assuming that the "school" is starting before labor Day.

That being the case, unless you have children on a year round track tell the school that the kids are going on an Educational Trip to Texas unless the school want's to make arrangement for 24 hour supervision of the children while you go to an Educational Seminar over the Labor Day Weekend.

Reaper University, while it may not be accredited in the customarily used sense of the word, has some of the finest and most knowledgeable instructors in the art world all gathered together for a concentrated educational experience.

GEM

GEM makes a good point; this is an EDUCATIONAL trip!

... hey, whatever it takes, right? If somebody asks, it's an art show. >.>

Also, that factory tour seems like a good prompt for an essay or report or something. <.<

• Like 3