Jump to content

nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

 

The box lunches were abandoned.  There were ... issues. Then at the next place, there were food trucks. The new place has much better dining options.

 

The hotel does have an onsite restaurant (we did the Sunday night forumite dinner there). Not sure what lunch they offer. Breakfast was at the hotel last year, made to order breakfast. And there are dining places within walking distance. Sit down restaurant within a five minute walk. Don’t know how far the fast food places were to walk, as we simply drove to In and Out. 

 

Merged:

Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen was the quick walk. Houlihan’s is the hotel restaurant and they have a lunch menu ($10-$15 for burgers/sandwiches).

 

And as an option, there is a WinCo a bit longer if a walk. Might have a deli. Or could grab sandwich stuff there the first night, if you’re going inexpensive. 

 

Food is decent at the hotel restaurant; we ate there most of the time, because it was there and neither of us wanted to risk stepping out the door and falling over. ^^;

Neither of us could complain; albeit I did find their burgers a shade greasier than I usually like 'em. Still tasty.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome! 

We loved the box lunches sorry others had issues. I wasn't a huge fan of the food truck because it took forever to get. 

We'll have a car and 4 feet between the two of us, so we'll see what we can see! 

Coming from a hugely Hispanic area, I generally steer clear of Mexican food in north of Dallas. It's just different. :lol:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meals at the con were abandoned, except for meet-n-greet which has been pizza the last couple years.  With ~100 people it was a nice idea, but with 500-1000 people now it would just be a hassle. 

 

The hotel restaurant has sit-down lunch service but last year DH and friends waited a very long time for it, almost missed class because it was so slow. YMMV.  There's also a coffee shop in the lobby, if a mocha latte and a muffin count as lunch. 

 

We drove the half mile or so to the nearby fast food and sandwich places most days.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bear in mind they are actively building all around the hotel.  I suspect that each year there will be more and more options available to us.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's also a Walmart right across W. University Dr.

 

While I have no other information about this because it was not something that we opted for - there were a couple of days where the hotel did a lunch special. My memory's failing me on what they offered and it's possible that they were actually grilling by the pool? I believe that's the food that TripleH is remembering seeing delivered to gaming tables. That was not something that they offered every day, as far as I know, so it would be a hard thing to plan on. 

 

Buglips and I ate at Cheddar's, I think on Wednesday for lunch and we really enjoyed it. Honestly I'd intended for us to go a second time, but it just didn't work out that way. Would very much recommend the Honey Butter Croissants. 

We ate at Houlihan's once for lunch, which I'm glad that we did because the Kansas City Burger was awesome and was not on the limited menu that they gave us to choose from at the Sunday night group dinner. 

Otherwise, there's a good cluster of fast food places right in the area, the closest of the fast food places being In-N-Out.

 

I'm seeing on Google Maps that a Bar & Grill in the cinema that's right across the parking lot from the hotel appears to have opened up. It has private karaoke rooms that you can rent by the hour.... Honestly, I'm confused. They seem to serve upscale concessions and alcoholic drinks for the cinema as well as being a bar with karaoke options and an upstairs patio? Was that there already and my brain just blocked it out because it couldn't make reasonable sense of it?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

 

I'm seeing on Google Maps that a Bar & Grill in the cinema that's right across the parking lot from the hotel appears to have opened up. It has private karaoke rooms that you can rent by the hour.... Honestly, I'm confused. They seem to serve upscale concessions and alcoholic drinks for the cinema as well as being a bar with karaoke options and an upstairs patio? Was that there already and my brain just blocked it out because it couldn't make reasonable sense of it?

 

I saw that too, and I think it is new. Maybe just wasn’t complete last year, as I recall the cinema had just recently opened (like a month or two?) when the con was going. Can’t see their website since it is blocked at work. Did see it had one bad review online at Google, for not being open before the cinema was, but I might discount that negativity myself. If it has private karaoke, I might be dragged over to it. If they’ve got the appropriate songs of course. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pegazus said:

 

I saw that too, and I think it is new. Maybe just wasn’t complete last year, as I recall the cinema had just recently opened (like a month or two?) when the con was going. Can’t see their website since it is blocked at work. Did see it had one bad review online at Google, for not being open before the cinema was, but I might discount that negativity myself. If it has private karaoke, I might be dragged over to it. If they’ve got the appropriate songs of course. 

Yeah, I saw that review and don't think that particular complaint warranted 2 stars. The person literally hasn't actually been there. It looks like the other locations' reviews are mostly positive.

It looks like the karaoke rooms have to be booked in advance and run $20 per hour for the rooms that hold 6-8 people and $40 per hour for the room that holds 20 people. I didn't know that private karaoke was a thing that existed, so I haven't a clue whether that's a good deal or not.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

 

If I'm singing it's a bad deal for everybody.

You get to hear me sing the whole 9 hours to and from Reapercon! .....now I feel like you should be paying me $20 per hour for that.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

You get to hear me sing the whole 9 hours to and from Reapercon! .....now I feel like you should be paying me $20 per hour for that.

 

I should.  Your sweet singing voice is a rare and delightful treat to distract me from the fact we don't drive past any gun stores that might offer a quick end to my enjoyment.  

  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, buglips*the*goblin said:

 

I should.  Your sweet singing voice is a rare and delightful treat to distract me from the fact we don't drive past any gun stores that might offer a quick end to my enjoyment.  

Well, just for that comment, I'd be happy to take you to a gun store any time.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

It looks like the karaoke rooms have to be booked in advance and run $20 per hour for the rooms that hold 6-8 people and $40 per hour for the room that holds 20 people. I didn't know that private karaoke was a thing that existed, so I haven't a clue whether that's a good deal or not.

 

The private part is what grabbed me. That is Japanese style karaoke (er, maybe should say original style instead). You and a few friends in a small room with drinks, snacks, and music. I think when we’ve gone in Tokyo it was around $5-10 per hour, but you also had to buy a minimum of two drinks per person. So I don’t think it is a bad price. 

 

Wife and friends would use it as a cheap hotel when they’d miss the last train home after work. One person would sing softly while the other three slept, then switch off singers every hour or so. Then catch the first morning train. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

 

If I'm singing it's a bad deal for everybody.

 

Hence the need for PPE.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

 

Food is decent at the hotel restaurant; we ate there most of the time, because it was there and neither of us wanted to risk stepping out the door and falling over. ^^;

Neither of us could complain; albeit I did find their burgers a shade greasier than I usually like 'em. Still tasty.

If the burger patty is consistently coming out too greasy ask your server to tell the cook to blot the burger patty when it comes off the fire.  Take the patty and lay it on a towel then fold the towel over the top and gently [very gently] press down for a couple seconds.

This gets a lot of the grease off of the outside of the patty and you only have to deal with what continues to seep out of the patty instead of a full burger "oil change".

GEM

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Bear in mind they are actively building all around the hotel.  I suspect that each year there will be more and more options available to us.

I have seen that a new bowling alley has opened right next door, and apparently they sell food too, so that may be a good option

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×