nytflyr

So... who's ready for ReaperCon 2019?

5 hours ago, Dragoneye said:

Lol! Im from Milwaukee, model railroaders are everywhere. But we went to the zoo and while I did take pics of animals, I took a lot of pics of water, rocks, tree stumps, bugs, old fences... you name it. Thanks for reminding me to look up when Train Fest is!

Milwaukee is home to one of the oldest and most respected Model Railroad magazines [The] Model Railroader.  In continuous publication since 1934 by Al Kalmbach through his printing company that is now a very large publishing house for hobby magazines.

As a demonstration of how bad my Model Railroad addiction is, I have every single issue published in either print or digital format.

GEM

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Train shows are great sources for tools and terrain materials.

Really bad for people miniatures, though. Model railroaders will pay ridiculous sums for the worst human sculpts you've ever seen. Lots of variety though. ("The food is terrible, but the portions are so large!" :poke:)

So true.

However, it is getting better in the larger scales.

GEM

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Tripleh5133 said:

...we decided that he would be joining me in Denton next year for ReaperCon instead. ...

You clearly raised him right.

On 9/7/2018 at 12:24 PM, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

...I got sick as a dog and haven't moved from bed...

Con crud?  Today is the first day I've been up and around this week.  Got hammered by something.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

9 hours ago, Highlander said:

Con crud?  Today is the first day I've been up and around this week.  Got hammered by something.

In all honesty as much as I hate to say it (actually I don't this area sucks) I think it's where I live. I live in southeast texas near a TON of refineries and other things. So when I leave the area for a number of days to a place with better air (dallas isn't the best but better by far than mine) then come back my body has to readjust which says alot.... all the more reason to find better 

Edited by Crimson_king_of_the_tower
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

10 hours ago, Highlander said:

You clearly raised him right.

I had a scratchy throat for a couple of days following RC.  I think I got off light.

I had anticipated being hammered flat by the aftereffects of too much noise [which will often hammer me flat to the point I'm bed bound in a darkened room], fortunately I just had the headache, well up on the pain-o-meter scale but not bad enough to put me all the way down.

Con Crud is not your/our friend.

GEM

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

In all honesty as much as I hate to say it (actually I don't this area sucks) I think it's where I live. I live in southeast texas near a TON of refineries and other things. So when I leave the area for a number of days to a place with better air (dallas isn't the best but better by far than mine) then come back my body has to readjust which says alot.... all the more reason to find better 

Air quality is a big deal for me too. I thought I was sick in CO. Landed in BC, and except for the week of smoke from fires, I feel tons better on average. It isn't the altitude - the air quality is the kicker. Most of the time the wind here is clearing out the gunk so it is pretty pleasant. I also have sensitive enough lungs that I have trouble jogging by a smoker, and I don't like campfires since they make me feel gross. 

• Like 5

I buy Model Railroader mags and books to keep up on things in case someday an empty basement manifests itself.  

With regard to con crud, this year Guin and I had an anti-crud protocol of frequent hand sanitizer.  Everytime we touched another person or object, sanitizer.  We tried to be discreet, but we caught no bugs.  

I recommend everybody do this and carry a mini bottle of sanitizer with them at all times.  It's not rude to sanitize after shaking hands, it's looking out for each other against the crud!  

• Like 10

I’m hoping I’ll be available to make the trip next year. As long as it is after June. I’ll be overseas before that. 

I watched some of the videos of ReaperCon and holy crap there were a lot of people at the awards. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I buy Model Railroader mags and books to keep up on things in case someday an empty basement manifests itself.  

With regard to con crud, this year Guin and I had an anti-crud protocol of frequent hand sanitizer.  Everytime we touched another person or object, sanitizer.  We tried to be discreet, but we caught no bugs.  

I recommend everybody do this and carry a mini bottle of sanitizer with them at all times.  It's not rude to sanitize after shaking hands, it's looking out for each other against the crud!  

I loaded up with vitamin C for a few weeks prior, had no after affects from the con

• Like 4

2 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I do this too. Especially after vendor hall. You just don't know who has been touching what, or where their hands have been.  I have one in the car, in my paint kit, in my purse, coat pocket, etc.  And always wash before meals. 

• Like 5

I just rely on my CON score of 19, and my natural grumpiness. Either the bugs get assassinated by my immune system upon contact, or they flee and attack all you nice people instead.::D:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

A little Sn3.5 local color? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

I might go this way next year.

Well, considering there were two wedding receptions with the requisite 20 little children each running around the lobby, plus the regional meeting of some daycare worker association, you might want to go with the full yellow hazmat suit instead. Not sure anything was safe this year around.

Cant really complain. First time to get sick post-con, so it was just my turn karma-wise.

• Like 3