Sign in to follow this  
Crimson_king_of_the_tower

Gumbo Get Together?

So in one of the threads I mentioned bbqing but thinking about it I think making a large batch of gumbo would be better. Would anyone be interested in that? I know Wednesday is pizza night and get together but what about thursday by the fire pit I could set up a small table with pots. The staff already said as long as there's no glass. I just need to find out if there is an outlet outside. But I would LOVE to cook for as many as I can! 

• Like 5

As long as there's no okra in it. Or chilis. Otherwise, unfortunately, we'd have to pass. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Inarah said:

As long as there's no okra in it. Or chilis. Otherwise, unfortunately, we'd have to pass. 

Nope chicken, sausage, homemade roux and seasonings. Those other things are in my chili lol

1 minute ago, Keianna said:

Sure!

I know it's really but the earlier I can get an idea of these things the better. Plus it'll be here before you know it

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Free food!?

Yes, please!

What he said!

...as long as it's not a giant PITA for you. I love the idea, but I'd hate for it to turn into a hassle.:winkthumbs:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

What he said!

...as long as it's not a giant PITA for you. I love the idea, but I'd hate for it to turn into a hassle.:winkthumbs:

Nah it'd all be cooked beforehand biggest thing is to figure out how to heat it up which is easy as long as the have some sorta outside outlet. If not I'll do it inside and bring it out. Im thinking of making it a firepit thing. Plus I absolutely love to cook for friends and family! 

Edited by Crimson_king_of_the_tower
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

So in one of the threads I mentioned bbqing but thinking about it I think making a large batch of gumbo would be better. Would anyone be interested in that? I know Wednesday is pizza night and get together but what about thursday by the fire pit I could set up a small table with pots. The staff already said as long as there's no glass. I just need to find out if there is an outlet outside. But I would LOVE to cook for as many as I can! 

If you are going to do this you should have some idea of how many will be showing up by asking just before the con for a commitment from people.

also, what assistance, financial or otherwise is needed to make this happen?

GEM

• Like 3

Sounds yummy. From those participating, though, check on food allergies. Had a friend who is deathly allergic to nuts eat something made with peanut oil while visiting here from Australia. ER visit was not fun for him.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

If you are going to do this you should have some idea of how many will be showing up by asking just before the con for a commitment from people.

also, what assistance, financial or otherwise is needed to make this happen?

GEM

If I do this it will be of my own accord.  I love to cook for people and would never ask them to give money. If I can't do it myself I won't do it at all. You are awesome and I thank you. I love to cook! Now if anyone decides to help I won't deny them!

17 minutes ago, Kheprera said:

Sounds yummy. From those participating, though, check on food allergies. Had a friend who is deathly allergic to nuts eat something made with peanut oil while visiting here from Australia. ER visit was not fun for him.

I only use olive oil for the roux no other allergens 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

If I do this it will be of my own accord.  I love to cook for people and would never ask them to give money. If I can't do it myself I won't do it at all. You are awesome and I thank you. I love to cook! Now if anyone decides to help I won't deny them!

I only use olive oil for the roux no other allergens 

Ehgeh. Well. Mr. Thorne is allergic to squash in all forms; that carries all the way down to musk melons (honeydew, cantaloupe and so on) and cucumber. Nut allergies might be the most common, but they're not the only ones. I also ran into someone with capsaicin allergies, and at least one allergic to red food dye. Gluten is another common one, and most roux use wheat flour, which contains gluten.

So getting a list, not only of what people might be allergic to, but also dietary prejudices, isn't just a good idea, but may save someone from, at best, a miserable weekend, or, worst case, a hospital visit.

Mind, I'm not trying to discourage you, just pointing out something I've had to learn the hard way. :/

(Mr. Thorne's dad has some trouble getting it through his skull that Mr. Thorne really /is/ allergic to pumpkin; at one point while we were visiting he made a dessert. He offered it round, and had us guess what was in it. Mr. Thorne had a tiny taste, I had a little more. Not bad. Neither of us could guess what he'd put in it, though. He told us, all pleased, that it had pumpkin oil. Mr. Thorne didn't have more than a little spoonful. He was still pretty sick the next couple of days.)

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

13 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

Ehgeh. Well. Mr. Thorne is allergic to squash in all forms; that carries all the way down to musk melons (honeydew, cantaloupe and so on) and cucumber. Nut allergies might be the most common, but they're not the only ones. I also ran into someone with capsaicin allergies, and at least one allergic to red food dye. Gluten is another common one, and most roux use wheat flour, which contains gluten.

So getting a list, not only of what people might be allergic to, but also dietary prejudices, isn't just a good idea, but may save someone from, at best, a miserable weekend, or, worst case, a hospital visit.

Mind, I'm not trying to discourage you, just pointing out something I've had to learn the hard way. :/

(Mr. Thorne's dad has some trouble getting it through his skull that Mr. Thorne really /is/ allergic to pumpkin; at one point while we were visiting he made a dessert. He offered it round, and had us guess what was in it. Mr. Thorne had a tiny taste, I had a little more. Not bad. Neither of us could guess what he'd put in it, though. He told us, all pleased, that it had pumpkin oil. Mr. Thorne didn't have more than a little spoonful. He was still pretty sick the next couple of days.)

I will make a list of what I use and post it on here to see if it would affect them in anyway. I want as many people to be able to enjoy it as possible and would hate to make people sick. Thank you for the information! 

• Like 4

When/if the time comes, just post a list of ingredients used.  You won't be able to please everybody or conform to all dietary restrictions.  People are responsible for what they eat and most folks with allergies have a good idea already of what they can't have. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1