Rigel

Miskatonic Faculty Lounge (Terraincrate)

Wow! Don't sweat anymore about the globe or you'll never get anything else painted! Persevere! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, lexomatic said:

Did you do a green desk pad for the top of the desk?

Yes! Inspired partly by a Pratchett quote on how sage-green desk leather meant you were a Venerable and Longstanding Institution.

Do you think burgundy would be better for matching purposes?

12 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Wow! Don't sweat anymore about the globe or you'll never get anything else painted! Persevere! :lol:

Thank you, and your motto certainly applies! 

• Like 2

Been sick this weekend or would have been more productive (I like to tell myself). Here's some more work on the bookshelves, and I touched up the blackboard and a few other things. The lectern and Great Tomes I made about a year or so ago from balsa scraps. I also found a tiny cake stand in clear plastic that I painted over in Rough Iron. Miskatonic University being what it is (a collection of open and inquiring minds surrounded by a howling vortex of Things Man Was Not Meant to Know), I figure they have some experience catering for sudden retirement ceremonies. 

Still need to touch up and wash the books and paint the artifacts in the lower cabinet. 

DSCN4408.JPG

DSCN4409.JPG

• Like 15

"Sudden retirement ceremonies."  Hilarious way to tie in that cake stand!  :D  Wowzers.  I wish I'd known about the existence of this set before.  I can think of a number of possible adventures/mysteries where this sort of scenery would be perfect.  I love all the colorful fine details you've put into painting this up!

I'm guessing the little bust, the fainting couch, and the chalkboard are from other sources?

Edited by Jordan Peacock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jordan Peacock said:

"Sudden retirement ceremonies."  Hilarious way to tie in that cake stand!  :D  Wowzers.  I wish I'd known about the existence of this set before.  I can think of a number of possible adventures/mysteries where this sort of scenery would be perfect.  I love all the colorful fine details you've put into painting this up!

I'm guessing the little bust, the fainting couch, and the chalkboard are from other sources?

Thank you!  Mysteries and clues and lies; love to put them all in my games.

Yes; the bust is from Bob Murch's Pulp Figures: the Drawing-Room Detectives. The chaise-longue is from Eureka Minis, I think in their Pax Limpopo series somewhere. The chalkboard I made myself from balsa, a slab of plastic, and two straight-pin heads. It does indeed swivel!

For what it's worth, I think Nolzur's or WizKids also has an Archivist's Library set out now. I covet this too! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, thelonegoldfish said:

@Rigel, what colors did you use for all the different colored leathers and book covers? they look very impressive.

Thank you! There's still plenty of work to do, of course...these props come with lots and lots of nooks and hard-to-reach crannies! The books include ArmyPainter's Basilisk Brown (mustard), Dry Rust (orange), Midnight Blue, Commando Green,  Mutant Hue (heliotrope),  True Red. and Ice Blue, plus Reaper's Cinnamon Red, Citadel's Dryad Bark, and some cheap craft-store black. Detailing in Runefang Steel, Screaming Bell, Gehenna's Gold, and craft-store Rich Espresso (bronze). But honestly, any combination of vaguely earth-toned or darkish colors with contrasting metallic accents should do. I tried to make it look like several series of bound volumes or periodicals jumbled together. (I used to work in a library a long time ago.)

The green leather on the desk is mostly Reaper's Ancient Oak, and the chairs are done up in Chaotic Red from ArmyPainter plus some Reaper Cinnamon Red and some of the aforementioned metallic Rich Espresso.

The sharp-eyed will notice I freehanded a couple of Elder Signs, and the Yellow Sign, on some of these tomes! 

• Thanks 1

All right, I think we're done here! 
Here's almost the entire set as it came in the terrain crate. (There are also some candles and a mirror and wizard paraphernalia I didn't paint up here.)

DSCN4466.thumb.JPG.677c7df5a04b0fddf08f7c88c08d38ea.JPGDSCN4468.thumb.JPG.dfd2e0c78f49ffb756c967a11a5bf760.JPGDSCN4478.thumb.JPG.19a76347d84e38ebde501a9a3b624725.JPGDSCN4476.thumb.JPG.c2e1635f54851cf79e3b734e4e6f6135.JPG
The hooch bottles are painted in thin layers of metallic paints (except the crockery jug, of course.)The orrery was warped when I got it. I am too lazy to boil it back--and besides, in Ole Misk, it's no bad thing when the stars are wrong! 

DSCN4472.thumb.JPG.a69f1e252614e5a9f1b6623f56ec7b65.JPGDSCN4472.thumb.JPG.a69f1e252614e5a9f1b6623f56ec7b65.JPG
There was also an owl on a perch I forgot to paint earlier! 
DSCN4470.thumb.JPG.e99aafeec0a940155f77d84c9d992aaf.JPG

DSCN4467.JPG

DSCN4475.JPG

• Like 10