Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
My thinking when painting this guy was that his scales would all be gemstones. When D&D dragons were conceived, I think it was a big mistake to have the good dragon be metals and the evil ones colors. The evil ones should have been named after gemstones: ruby, sapphire, emerald, onyx, and opal. So here is the ruby dragon, in his volcanic home. I hope you like it.
Thanks a ton to everyone in the WIP forum for advice and encouragement!
Managed to do more painting today. The assassin is by North Star. I was aiming for a lighter palette, rather than a ninja. I think I need to go back in and highlight more.
The knight is mainly fireforge, templar body, cloak, and scandi infantry head. The arms are from the Oathmark elves set though.
They are just based on 25mm washers and will add some texture, foam rocks, and snow effects to both bases once grey base coat has dried. It takes ages to get a consistent coat on the washers and that and the hole in the middle are the only downsides to using them.
So an EDIT: I changed up the photos and added one more different view because I took them from a slightly lower angle
So it looks like Frost Giants are all the rage these days on the forums, so I'll add one more, eventually two. I have been watching Patrick Keith's frost giant queen ever since she came out on the Bones Kickstarter and got her not too long ago, but didn't feel that I could actually start on her until I got some of my older frost giant pieces out of the way. The first two on the docket are John Dennett's classic Frost Giants from the Grenadier's Giant's Club, where each giant set came with the piece of a map and an obelisk. I'm not sure if after collecting all these you were able to send them in for something?
Anyhoos, here is the female frost giant, one of my all time favorite figures. I'm working still on the male frost giant who is a little more labor intensive, but I'll get him finished one of these days hopefully soon.
and some of the face's close ups because I think I took the farther away photos from a higher angle which didn't quite capture the face.
One thing I've found out especially towards the end of this project is that super glue and tight spaces really don't match and I managed to get the snow around and in a few places where it shouldn't be, including over the left hand's fingernails, which I took painstaking time and effort to make nice, only to get them covered by snow.
The snow I used came from some modeling snow I had bought years ago. Up until now I'd been using baking soda for my snow effect, but I worried a bit that over the time it might yellow (time will tell I guess) and it would not look so nice in a few years.
In case anybody's interested, here’s the WIP I've been working with:
where you can also see ongoing process on the male as well.
Anyhows, I hope you all enjoy taking a gander as much as I enjoyed painting her!
Who's Online 32 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Egg of Coot
- Brother Jim
- Chris Palmer
- Doug Sundseth
- Pezler the Polychromatic
- Rob Dean
- Al Capwn