Highlander

03439: Dicarus Darksword -- Pinning Issue

This is a tiny figure.  For the first time ever, I cut away the (cauliflower?) base molded with the figure.  Trying to step up my game. Usually I blend the molded base into the custom base I make, but the common approach seems to be to cut away the molded base.  Not too happy with the result, but it is a first shot.

However, I have a problem.  The figure is so small that I don't see any way to drill a hole in the figure to insert a pin which will be used later to mate the figure with the custom base.  What do you do when pinning is not an option?  I see real difficulty in painting the figure with nothing to hold on to.

Cauliflower/broccoli, tomato/deadly nightshade...  If it's a plastic mini, just superglue or greenstuff is fine.  I've had to drill (pin vise, not electric) some sketchy little holes only a mm or two into a heel to pin

Depending on the model and your intent, you can cheat a little and build up the base close enough to the leg to have, for instance, a rock that is also glued to the mini for support.  If all else fails, you can drill into his body somewhere (crotch, cape...), pin that securely, and hide it with tall grass or shrubs.  Hope that helps.  I think a lot of us know your pain.  If you get a good pin vise set you should have some drills small enough for even halfling legs though.

• Like 4

I've pinned some pretty tiny joins before. You can always just go up into the foot a little bit, and then use a really heavy glue like epoxy it should hold. Also, if it's a metal mini you can use the DKS method and just make some tabs from part of the broccoli still attached and use that to secure it to your new base. 

I hope this helps some. 

• Like 2

Both replies are very helpful.  I'm living and learning.  Painting is still gonna be an issue, as I have the mini cleared of the molded on base with nice flat feet.

I had to look back at my WIP thread to remember what I did with this guy. I'm pretty sure I left a little bit of the broccoli attached to the bottom of his feet in kind of an inward "V" shape. Then since I was making a base out of polymer clay, I just pressed it into the clay before baking to make an indentation. But that doesn't help so much with painting.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Highlander said:

However, I have a problem.  The figure is so small that I don't see any way to drill a hole in the figure to insert a pin which will be used later to mate the figure with the custom base.  What do you do when pinning is not an option?  I see real difficulty in painting the figure with nothing to hold on to.

I've pinned sword blades back to their hilts on miniatures; I've yet to see a 25+mm miniature that I couldn't pin.

Tips:

•  I use very small bits in pin vises, not power drills when pinning minis.
  • I normally drill a pilot hole first, then the actual pinning hole. With care, #80 drill bit can drill a hole in very small surfaces.
  • I will sometimes use a knife to nick the surface where I want the drill hole, just so the bit doesn't skate before starting the hole.
  • I always lubricate the hole when drilling metal minis. I like to use a light machine oil like 3-in-1 for this, but most lubricants will work.
  • I don't try for a full-depth hole to start, preferring to clear the flutes of waste metal repeatedly during the drilling process.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pragma said:

... I left a little bit of the broccoli attached to the bottom of his feet in kind of an inward "V" shape. ...

I gnash my teeth as, during the process I had two broccoli wedges on the bottom of the feet.  And I diligently sanded them off.

• Like 2

Sounds like pinning is your best option. Honestly, if I were painting the same mini today I would probably pin it.

Well, I have pins in both feet.  Getting the pins in a cork is going to be dicey ... cause I had to keep them short and they are only in the feet about 2mm.  I used cyno and hope it holds.  It didn't the first try.

I apologize for the lack of focus.  I haven't learned to take closeups with a cell phone.

With some help from my friends, I got it pinned.  BTW, I learned that your pins shouldn't be longer than the depth of the cork on your base.  Or you have to cut to shorten the pins while holding the finished figure -- which can shoot it off into the void.

You may guess that this was a color experiment and that I like the Fall.

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

• Like 11