Highlander

Pursuing the Wily Mold Line

I've begun to really focus on removing all mold lines.  I've found it practical to clean up the mini as best I can and then prime it with spray primer.  However, I usually discover mold lines that had been hidden or which I thought I had removed, but discover I didn't.

So, I clean up the mini some more.  Then I have a decision.  Do I re-prime with spray paint or do I use paint-on primer?  Re-priming can lead to many coats of primer which can lead to loss of detail.  Painting on primer focuses on a smaller area, but the primer doesn't grab as well as spray primer does and it takes several coats also.   What do you guys do?

Also, after working on the newly unveiled mold lines, there is often a distinct "ridge" line between where the previous primer still exists and the now bare surface of the hopefully mold line free mini.  Whether I spray or paint on, that ridge line can be persistent -- leading again to the issue of thick primer.  Any suggestions?

• Like 2

Ugh!  Undiscovered mold lines! I just had to deal with that issue today.  I prefer brush-on primer.  I can control how heavily it goes on, and it gives me a chance to look over the mini again and notice things, like fiddly bits that could be a problem, and yes, mold lines that I missed.  I did some touch up filing today on several figures I had already started base coating.  A set of diamond files or a bead reamer can really help in this situation.  I filed down the mold lines and then gently smoothed the edges of the painted parts a little bit.  Fortunately, there was only one coat of paint on them, so I was able to blend the primer into the painted areas.  When I repainted, it was all nice and smooth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

Any suggestions?

Well, there's always the gloss medium solution. Gloss medium, especially thicker gloss medium, can be used to kill mold lines by building up rather than by paring down. This can reduce the need to reprime, and it definitely is much more focused in use than a spray primer.

• Like 5

If I find more mold lines after I prime I'm more apt to just dunk the mini and reprime after I clean them up. But I'm wonky in the head. 

Brush on primer is imo probably the best option if you don't want to redo the whole prime. My .02. Cheers. 

• Like 3

I use a very thin layer of brush on primer, discover more mold lines and then do a second very thin coat of primer after they're cleaned off.  I can be a bit trigger happy with spray cans, so it's just better for me to stick to brush-on.  

• Like 3

I have a mini ready to paint.  I sprayed it solid black and then highlighted it with white spray on -- preshading.  I'm trying a base with a grey base coat and I'm about to go outside to hit it with white spray - a milder form of preshading.

I hope I got the visible mold lines.

• Like 2

Brush on primer worked quite well.  I was a bit surprised at the density, which resulted in a much whiter base than the spray on.  But it covered, which was my concern.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 12:21 AM, Highlander said:

What do you guys do?

For what it's worth I have found air brush priming is a wonderful thing.  The layering is controlled and can be as tight or wide an area as you like and the coverage of the badger primers is excellent!

• Like 1