Rainbow Sculptor

Adventuring Alice

I've been planning and putting together a group of figures for my sister who adores Alice in wonderland. I thought I'd put an adventuring spin on the well known characters so she can use them while we explore the depths of Darkreach.

Here's my version of Alice. I imagine her as a caster type class sporting "drink me" potion bottles, an ancient spellbook, and her beloved familiar Dinah. 

I've got a wireframe covered in greenstuff and I'm ready to get sculpting. I hope you follow along and give me your thoughts and feedback along the way!

IMG_20180911_190222.jpg

Edited by Rainbow Sculptor
  • Like 20

Ok, day 2 I got some basic anatomy in. I focused mainly on the lower legs as everything else will be covered with clothing. Once I had that in I baked and moved on to the pants...pantaloons?...bloomers? Umm... The things under her dress haha 

I just bought some sculpting tools from Bombshell miniatures and omg... They're amazing! I'm completely in love, if you don't have them yet I highly recommend them. Definitely going to be part of my core tool set.

IMG_20180912_172354.jpg

IMG_20180912_172928.jpg

I know what you're thinking. "Didn't you just finish a blue sculpt? Why are you still using blue?" And you're right, I wanted to jump into orange or some kind of purple but i couldn't see Alice done in any other color but blue AND it's not the same blue. 

Before I was using like a Smurf blue and this one is more of a Tiffany blue, it's got a bit more green in it. Just to prove it I'll show them to you side by side. The left one I used for the raccoon sculpt, the one on the right is what I'm using now. 

We good? That settled? Alright haha

I promise it'll be a totally different color next time.

IMG_20180912_173659.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Ooooh, those tools do look quite nice.. I might have to look into picking some up myself, because while my current set does the job that one in the middle looks a lot less curved than the main one I've been using that always seems to snag on something at least two dozen times, making you redo what you were doing. 

(of course, I could be totally using them incorrectly, lol) 

That's definitely an interesting looking character, and can't wait to see how things develop with this sculpt! ^_^

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Ooooh, those tools do look quite nice.. I might have to look into picking some up myself, because while my current set does the job that one in the middle looks a lot less curved than the main one I've been using that always seems to snag on something at least two dozen times, making you redo what you were doing. 

(of course, I could be totally using them incorrectly, lol) 

That's definitely an interesting looking character, and can't wait to see how things develop with this sculpt! ^_^

Yes! I hate when it snags like that. These are so perfect for folds and clean crisp edges. I can't recommend them enough. 

Okay, here we go, day 2!

Got a LOT done today. Have her some shoes and the little buttoned boot warmers to go over them. (I wish I had these in real life)

The apron got added along with some suggestive dress wrinkles. Since most of the back will be covered with hair and get over skirts I'm not spending a lot of time on the backs of things. I did want it to feel like she was wearing the dress though so a few wrinkles that wrap around the back should do. 

The collar and tie are added (although the bow part still needs to be added). AND the face structure. I'll add the eyes and eyebrows next, finish the tie, and then we'll see.... Probably either skirts or the puffy sleeves. I'm planning ahead for the arms. I'll add the sleeves to the main body leaving a hollow hole in them which I'll use to hide the attachment point for the arms. I don't know if one will need to be a seperate piece or not yet, we'll see.

IMG_20180913_170457.jpg

• Like 14

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, I needed some time to bring my life back into balance. I've been pushing hard on work for the last couple of months and it was time to slow down and spend some time with my family.

After a week off I feel much better and I'm ready to get back to it. Not a ton of progress to show today but Alice got a belt, some "drink me" potion bottles and an extra layer of skirt on the front. I also shaved down the sides of the GS head to hopefully correct the bulk issues I was dealing with before. Probably start tackling head/face again tomorrow.

IMG_20180924_125739.jpg

• Like 13

So what is causing the color variations in this sculpt (primarily on her legs)?  Different clay mix? Baking? Thin layers over the green stuff armature? 

Just curious about your process

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

So what is causing the color variations in this sculpt (primarily on her legs)?  Different clay mix? Baking? Thin layers over the green stuff armature? 

Just curious about your process

The legs have very thin layers over the GS which is causing the color variation there. There's some other parts, mainly the lower tie ribbon pieces that just got baked a bit too long and started to discolor. Also I tend to photograph just before I bake so the newest addition to will look a bit more bright and saturated then the laters that are already baked. I hope that helps!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Rainbow Sculptor said:

The legs have very thin layers over the GS which is causing the color variation there. There's some other parts, mainly the lower tie ribbon pieces that just got baked a bit too long and started to discolor. Also I tend to photograph just before I bake so the newest addition to will look a bit more bright and saturated then the laters that are already baked. I hope that helps!

Thank you!   That's pretty much spot on what I was thinking the causes were, but I didn't want to assume too much. 

• Like 2

Sorry it took so long between updates, we bought a house!!! So things are pretty hectic. 

Got a face going on Alice finally. Took many redos and several days of fresh eyes but I'm pretty happy with it. Might need to touch up her left eye a bit (right side in the picture) but I needed to get this baked so I didn't mess it up haha

IMG_20181002_150453.jpg

• Like 12

Fantastic concept & fantastic sculpting so far. She has a great feel/look to her already.

Are you gonna sculpt the animal critter next to her as well? 

• Like 3