Rainbow Sculptor

Adventuring Alice

7 minutes ago, haldir said:

Fantastic concept & fantastic sculpting so far. She has a great feel/look to her already.

Are you gonna sculpt the animal critter next to her as well? 

Thanks!! Yeah I'm planning to sculpt the cat and the base as well.

• Like 5

Eeeeee! I'm so happy to see you sculpting this!! :wub:  I know it can be so frustrating to have ideas months and months ago and then it takes forever to get around to it. I love all those fabric folds!

Also yay on the house!!! 

• Like 4

This is such an awesome miniature.  I really wish Reaper had a miniature like this around.  (I mean, there's an "Alice" figure in Chronoscope, but it's more of a "Halloween Sexy-Alice Cosplay" sort of Alice, rather than one I could see actually used as a protagonist/player-character in an adventure, the way this one is.)  I also really envy your quality standards for the face: If I'd gotten something as nice as your first attempt, I'm certain I would have kept it, but nonetheless you went back and made a much more wonderful sculpt on the second go-round.  Thanks so much for showing the progress in stages: It's fascinating to follow!

On 10/7/2018 at 6:03 PM, Jordan Peacock said:

This is such an awesome miniature.  I really wish Reaper had a miniature like this around.  (I mean, there's an "Alice" figure in Chronoscope, but it's more of a "Halloween Sexy-Alice Cosplay" sort of Alice, rather than one I could see actually used as a protagonist/player-character in an adventure, the way this one is.)  I also really envy your quality standards for the face: If I'd gotten something as nice as your first attempt, I'm certain I would have kept it, but nonetheless you went back and made a much more wonderful sculpt on the second go-round.  Thanks so much for showing the progress in stages: It's fascinating to follow!

Thank you so much!! It can be a little isolating when you're particular style doesn't fit perfectly well with what's already on the market so it means a lot when people say they're excited to play with or paint my figures, it means I'm doing something right.

My quality standard has been developed over the last few years. My husband used to always tell me to go back, don't cut corners, believing I could do better. It was frustrating but I grew as a sculptor for his advice. Now when I show him things there's about a 33% chance that he thinks it's great and I feel I could do better. A lot of it was a matter of being honest with myself about when I was giving up too soon and taking shortcuts. 

I'm glad you're enjoying the process, I hope it's helpful!

• Like 4

On 10/13/2018 at 7:55 PM, Rainbow Sculptor said:

Now when I show him things there's about a 33% chance that he thinks it's great and I feel I could do better.

You will never get rid of that feeling.  No matter how much people love this sculpt or that of mine, I still see the flaws every time I look at them and wonder how no one else seems to be noticing.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

You will never get rid of that feeling.  No matter how much people love this sculpt or that of mine, I still see the flaws every time I look at them and wonder how no one else seems to be noticing.

What the artist sees as a flaw the rest of us see as a feature. :poke: 

• Like 3