I've made no secret about my opinions on Games Workshop. Though my painting box is full of their miniatures they were always bought second and sometimes third hand (I never wanted GW to get any of my money). Even my previous Cadians were bought from my local games store that has no affiliation with GW (I also know those sets and blisters came with the business when it was bought almost twenty years ago). Now I find myself in the unique position of building a Cadian army.

My wife and I used to play weekly in D&D Adventure League but with the birth of our first child it looks like that won't be possible (We want to continue gaming at our current store but its a bit of drive and the kid is at the rolling stage so she doesn't want to be held or sit in her seat; she wants to be on the floor and we all know what gameshop floors are like). I've offered to watch the child so she can go or to switch off each week but she only wants to go together. Gaming together has always been part of our relationship, and she doesn't want to lose that. I couldn't agree more, its good to share a hobby with your spouse.

That's when our friends started trying to recruit us to play Warhammer 40K with them. At first I was resistant but our friends get together often to play and in our area its always possible to find a game (Depending on the size it can be played fairly quickly in comparison to D&D too). After some discussion we decided 40K would give me something to paint, but it would also give us both something to play and eventually something to play together.

Which brings us to this new project. Since I figured watching me assemble miniatures would be pretty boring I'm starting this thread right before I prime them. So here is most of my assembled starter set (I've got quite a few cheap sets of bits arriving over the next couple weeks and I'm not exactly sure what unit I'd like to create next so that's why I have so many unfinished figures).20180911_220554.thumb.jpg.d89ae1a580836b678d24bbecc3449980.jpg20180911_220611.thumb.jpg.f8a970cae11b24f43b65b29b644d9ac8.jpg20180911_220632.thumb.jpg.56d2777b1216fbb187391ebf90f16e65.jpg20180911_220658.thumb.jpg.eb94bae01cf75a248ed9ad1d38f6c897.jpg20180911_220742.thumb.jpg.b409e07f2983f211847079f9a65c58f7.jpg

I'm still not a big fan of GW but having an excuse to see our friends more often is pretty nice. In a way we're kinda trading one gaming group for another (that sounds pretty mean but I think you understand what I'm saying).

• Like 17

Well, it might be worth looking into Kill Team since it's a lot less bloated than the main game.  Also it's quicker to play which might fit into your new life a bit easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whooo, Cadians! I plan on doing up a few of these guys... Once I clear up my Skaven and Catachans, that is. 

Because man, all those gorgeous Imperial Guard (I refuse to call them Astra Militarum) tanks are just begging for a spot on my (currently non-existing) shelves... 

That and they'd delay the inevitable for a 40k player (building a Space Marine army), lol

Edit: I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread for inspiring ideas  ^_^;;;

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 1

Weather cooperated today so I was able to prime. With any luck I can start painting tomorrow. Now the big question, what should I do first? I could spam out the regular soldiers and save the commissar to break up the monotony, or I could start with the tank and then work down to the regular mooks? Decisions, decisions...

I say Baneblade!  Oh wait, you don't have one of those yet and they take bloody well forever to paint, what with being one of the larger models Games Workshop has... 

I vote a few guys, to work out a pattern you like for them, then tank! 

...Because tanks are awesome. 

Edit: assuming you wind up buying more, and/or the second hand purchases gave you the extra bits on the sprues, a single trio heavy weapons team can make 4-5 sets of teams if you also buy the faction specific 20 man box, a pack of 60mm bases from your favourite provider, and then kitbash.  Sure makes those $45 CAD kits last a lot further when for about $85 CAD ($40 for the 20man box set) you're getting upwards of five sets of heavy weapons teams.. 

Oh, and done well pretty much 98% of people won't notice what you've done, AND it's tournament legal to do since you're still using Games Workshop miniatures. 

*looks* whoops, had pricing wrong, it's $47.50 CAD for the box of heavy weapons teams that gives you three squads, and then $34.75 CAD for the squad, which makes it even less at $82.25 CAD (plus tax) assuming I did my math right.  Naturally use pricing from your own area, but it's a trick not everyone knows and for Imperial Guard it will save a TON of cash over the course of building an army, since they have soooo many foot sloggers and heavy weapons teams.  At least using the old rules, haven't looked at a codex for them for twelve years now, but they've always been a numbers kind of army. 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
Added a bunch more stuff
  • Like 3

On 9/12/2018 at 8:46 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

it will save a TON of cash over the course of building an army

Thanks for all the additional information, I'll have to check that out. I know my first box of ten from 1990 came with a ton of additional bits, so much so that I was surprised by how little you get in the $85 starter boxes nowadays. Seriously, I know the box is a pretty good value but why not give a new player a few more bits? Maybe a couple more guns and arms or heads, something to help a new player start a bits collection. 

I ended up scheduling another painting session/lesson at my local Warhammer shop for tomorrow. Unfortunately that means I'll have to buy some GW paint. With the small Astra Militarum set only being $15 for six half size pots (which coincidentally have the exact colors I need) though I've decided to think of it as $15 for a lesson to improve my facial painting.

I have to admit a hands on lesson can do wonders. I'm painting faster and better after just the starting lesson I received about a week ago. Maybe that's all part of their plan? Either way with my friends getting us into this game I'm pleased our local shop owner is so helpful.

Since I'll be going in to hopefully learn how to paint faces tomorrow that meant my Cadians needed a basecoat. Since I was doing their faces I figured I might as well start basecoating their other parts too. I managed to get their flesh and their armor base coated before calling it a night.20180914_001806.thumb.jpg.436df5f72ba94d76b5a5f77194ebfc72.jpg20180914_001829.thumb.jpg.d047498c324f521423825f195cead4a6.jpg

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, Rat13 said:

Thanks for all the additional information, I'll have to check that out. I know my first box of ten from 1990 came with a ton of additional bits, so much so that I was surprised by how little you get in the $85 starter boxes nowadays. Seriously, I know the box is a pretty good value but why not give a new player a few more bits? Maybe a couple more guns and arms or heads, something to help a new player start a bits collection. 

I ended up scheduling another painting session/lesson at my local Warhammer shop for tomorrow. Unfortunately that means I'll have to buy some GW paint. With the small Astra Militarum set only being $15 for six half size pots (which coincidentally have the exact colors I need) though I've decided to think of it as $15 for a lesson to improve my facial painting.

I have to admit a hands on lesson can do wonders. I'm painting faster and better after just the starting lesson I received about a week ago. Maybe that's all part of their plan? Either way with my friends getting us into this game I'm pleased our local shop owner is so helpful.

Since I'll be going in to hopefully learn how to paint faces tomorrow that meant my Cadians needed a basecoat. Since I was doing their faces I figured I might as well start basecoating their other parts too. I managed to get their flesh and their armor base coated before calling it a night.

I have to agree...  It's rather.... Interesting to see what's included in the starter boxes now...  And what isn't.  Sure, a lot of the starter boxes are a lot easier to put together now, and are technically excellent....  Go back to the 3rd or 4th edition starter of 40k, and I had enough spare bits to have the headless corpse of a space marine dangling off the bayonette of a Dark Eldar's weapon.... ^_^  Some had cardboard terrain, others had plastic (Battle for Macraggae and the blown up spaceship come to mind), but yes, there were usually quite a fair bit of extra... bits.

Taking a quick look at the sprues, it looks like the heavy weapons squads are still the same kits they made twelve years ago, which is good...  Although it would seem that the squad boxes only have ten guys per box now, so they aren't as much of a value as they used to be (you used to get twenty for a bit more).  The only thing that isn't as good is you don't get the crouched down positions for the legs, but still - I argue it adds more dynamic positioning for figures if one so wishes...  Most of them are usually at the back of the line, providing fire support anyways!  It also allows you to pose them as if they're moving, or reacting, etc etc.  Being able to make 8 heavy weapons teams for the price of 6 is still a nice deal, or 13 for the price of 9, etc

I'll playfully say "no fair!" to the fact the Cadians get a grenade launcher AND a heavy flamer on their weapons sprue, but they are known for actually bringing heavier weaponry to the front - they do live in front of the eye of chaos after all!  The Eye of Chaos is the main invasion point for the Chaos Marines, so the Cadians get pummeled almost non-stop and therefore have the slightly better armour out of the various factions of the Imperial Guard, AND looooove trench warfare about as much as Catachans feel at home in a jungle that's trying to kill them all day.

• Like 4

Today I went down to my local Warhammer shop and learned how to paint faces. Though I had to learn on Citadel paints the instruction was in broad enough terms that I'll be able to transfer everything to good ol' Reaper paints. Turns out my flesh tone collection (full of tones I never use) will come in quite handy. I was even able to complete one figures skin but didn't paint the eyes. One step at a time. 20180914_225428.thumb.jpg.82fef4010206739c5d1b46c0e62f4f4d.jpg

While I was there I admitted to defeat and signed up for Armies on Parade. Though I really tried not to sign up in the end I figured I might as well since my "army" will be finished before Parade day. Of course that means I'll need to create a display.

So once the kid was in bed I began working on my old watchtower. Since I'll be displaying Imperial Guard I've decided to use the old adage of, "good enough". So I base coated the piece and intend to give it a cusory paint job because I doubt the Guard really care what it looks like. I also cut a piece of cardboard that I intend to base like a piece of terrain. This of course isn't meant to last but will be a simple throwaway piece. Trust me with the materials I intend to use it won't cost me much anyway. Here is a simple mock up of my display.20180914_225208.thumb.jpg.83af7b61d12e72820c06ee7a714d7303.jpg20180914_225221.thumb.jpg.d4a8411ae720eadd536034275244104e.jpg

• Like 10

I'm a couple days behind on updates, somehow I found time to work on things but didn't find the time to write the updates. The initial paint job on the watchtower didn't look natural enough so I decided to do something unnatural. I repainted it with a gunmetal grey and now it looks like a wooden watchtower that was painted to look like metal. My thinking is Orks came across a wooden watchtower and decided to paint it metal rather than rebuild or add on to it. Then of course the guard shows up and takes over the now oddly painted tower.20180918_193528.thumb.jpg.112d2e798a67918fb4c9d3ed156b9789.jpg20180918_193540.thumb.jpg.65d6c5f2d19cbdbc8d20f1402fd354ca.jpg

Quite a few packages of bits arrived yesterday, so last night I assembled a few more troops. Once completed I'll be able to field another infantry unit. Of course I'll need another good priming day first though.20180918_193237.thumb.jpg.7d7e1147f55f5b4add5edd865bd0f691.jpg20180918_193356.thumb.jpg.46e77df13fda9624e67cc29e94548187.jpg20180918_193319.thumb.jpg.9209fe02dcb8a55cc254d9dcc97783e8.jpg

• Like 9

Tonight I managed to attach all the grenades and ammo pouches I had forgotten earlier. I also worked on the skin tones of my current figures. I started with Tanned Skin, then used a Citadel wash, and highlighted with Scholar Flesh. I think the skin tones came out okay but I'll have to check them out tomorrow. The base coating on the fatigue's were started too but I only finished one before my eyes gave out.20180918_235715.thumb.jpg.bb64bc9a9433a5b5391e11d1909cfdde.jpg20180918_235740.thumb.jpg.b14772d1f00d75be6aac216c73090e49.jpg20180918_235813.thumb.jpg.ef51f11b1650a0a6e7bd1bccc0fdaeda.jpg

• Like 9

Tonight I finished the fatigues I had started last night before quickly moving onto the detail work on the regular troopers. Once the details were dry I used a Citadel black wash to finish them; so far I like all the Citadel washes I've tried. I'll have to check them tomorrow but I think my regular troopers, at least this set, are finished.20180919_223909.thumb.jpg.eb8a5be114c816443516f9cf5eb58baa.jpg20180919_223936.thumb.jpg.04316ee503c51bf2c7bdd492ca7b89af.jpg

Originally I intended to paint my commissar alongside these troops but it just didn't work. I don't have the mental fortitude to work on such a detailed figure alongside mooks. So instead he was pushed aside for the time being. Now I have to choose again, finish the commissar or begin the tank now that it's commander is finished?

After I finished my figures I also base coated a small wall section I'll be using for my army's display. Unfortunately I somehow thought these were sandbags instead of a stone wall, I've got no idea how I made that mistake. At least it'll be a simple fix. I've been sitting on this piece for awhile since my college buddy randomly gave it to me after we started playing Song of Blades and Heroes (which seems quite awhile back now). I never got around to painting it simply because I kept forgetting to prime it.20180919_223950.thumb.jpg.1b675d03c14600feab535807019bb6c9.jpg

Turned out today was another good day for priming so those fifteen troopers I assembled the other night got primed. Which means I'll be painting up another infantry unit and I'll have a few special weapon figures leftover. Which of course means I will have to start thinking about what unit I'd like to assemble next.

• Like 9

My vote is for the tank!

Out of sheer curiosity, how are you finding the Citadel paints? Always curious to hear what others think of such, doubly so since I'm kind of sort of getting back into them myself, at least for having some alongside my other paints.

I do have to say, it is kind of scary/eery just how quickly one can whip up a decent amount of detail with those washes o_O

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Out of sheer curiosity, how are you finding the Citadel paints? 

Honestly I don't like them. Perhaps it is because I learned with Reaper dropper bottles but I hate paint pots. Though even if I transfered the paint to dropper bottles I just don't like how the Citadel paints feel.

My plan is to avoid their paints like the plague and only buy small quantities of whatever is needed for a paint lesson. The lessons offered at the shop are amazing and really helpful but to paint in shop you must use Citadel paints (quite understandable but I doubt GW will wear me down when it comes to paint). 

As for the washes though I may be in love. Last night while doing the detail work I got a little careless on a couple of figures, but after a quick wash those mistakes almost completely disappeared. Plus it helps having a consistent wash, for black washes I usually make them myself and I've messed it up many times, sometimes too dark and sometimes too diluted, which can both ruin a "finished" miniature in different ways. At this moment I fully intend to buy a full size pot of black wash when I go in for Armies on Parade next month.

Here are the next day pictures of one of the sloppily detail painted figures.

20180920_080113.thumb.jpg.7f813e5e37eb099afbd326bbd4d7b369.jpg20180920_080122.thumb.jpg.87e00a0c96e2ae325200607ef733a3da.jpg

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Rat13 said:

Honestly I don't like them. Perhaps it is because I learned with Reaper dropper bottles but I hate paint pots. Though even if I transfered the paint to dropper bottles I just don't like how the Citadel paints feel.

My plan is to avoid their paints like the plague and only buy small quantities of whatever is needed for a paint lesson. The lessons offered at the shop are amazing and really helpful but to paint in shop you must use Citadel paints (quite understandable but I doubt GW will wear me down when it comes to paint). 

As for the washes though I may be in love. Last night while doing the detail work I got a little careless on a couple of figures, but after a quick wash those mistakes almost completely disappeared. Plus it helps having a consistent wash, for black washes I usually make them myself and I've messed it up many times, sometimes too dark and sometimes too diluted, which can both ruin a "finished" miniature in different ways. At this moment I fully intend to buy a full size pot of black wash when I go in for Armies on Parade next month.

Good to know.  I wound up asking because thinking back about it, I've noticed a few things that were quite similar myself with how their paint handles.  Maybe it's the flow improver already in the Reaper paint, but if you aren't careful about how you thin the Citadel paint almost seems "gloopy" at times, and dries almost unevenly in a dry palette.  Maybe it's because I was using twelve year old paint, I'll have to try their new stuff.

As for their washes, I definitely have to agree... They're rather lovely, even if they have some oddball names.  Nuln Oil (brownish-black) is easy enough to remember, but trying to remember something like Druchii Violet (purple wash), Drakenthor Nightshade (blue wash), Reikland Fleshshade (reddish-brown wash), or Athonian Camoshade (greenish wash) is a lot more of a mouthful than "purple wash" or "Baby Poop".  I kind of miss how back in the day Citadel used to be straightforward with their naming schemes, like Chestnut Ink, which was, as one might expect, a chestnut coloured ink that stained anything it touched rather well (but did a VERY good job on Catachan arms for example).

• Like 1