6 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I am a graduate of Starfleet Academy.  I know many things. 

....like how to lie about being a graduate of Starfleet Academy?

• Haha 5

By the way, I've gotten by the "I'm not good enough to paint this mini" syndrome in my own way: if I don't try to, how could I possibly know I'm not good enough? No two minis are precisely the same (unless they are the same figure, but even then, molds could change them, and...yadda yadda yadda).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

....like how to lie about being a graduate of Starfleet Academy?

It was a correspondence course, I got assigned to a ship and everything.  I even had a diploma but it got lost in the fire.  I made it all the way to Lieutenant Commander before I decided to become a CAF Colonel instead.  I have levels of nerd in my past you can't even begin to imagine. 

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Just now, buglips*the*goblin said:

It was a correspondence course, I got assigned to a ship and everything.  I even had a diploma but it got lost in the fire.  I made it all the way to Lieutenant Commander before I decided to become a CAF Colonel instead.  I have levels of nerd in my past you can't even begin to imagine. 

You're right, I don't begin to imagine such things because I just start to hear "blah blah blah" whenever I sense you slipping past my nerd threshold. I've barely heard a word you've ever said. That's why we get along so well.

• Haha 6

On 9/13/2018 at 3:42 AM, Cyradis said:

Pretty sure this pack of ten LotR mini busts were $20 or less on Ebay. Crud quality but it is cheap practice and they don't have unreachable spots like the princesses. 

Pretty sure Laszlo Jakusovsky won a gold medal with a repainted one of those LotR busts in at ReaperCon 2011. :-> (He said something about the Gandalf bust he entered being from a gumball machine.)

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Wren said:

Pretty sure Laszlo Jakusovsky won a gold medal with a repainted one of those LotR busts in at ReaperCon 2011. :-> (He said something about the Gandalf bust he entered being from a gumball machine.)

Nice! They're fun little things. I'm glad I picked them up. They have their issues, but for the price, they're amazingly good. 

Another note on practice: any figure is in a way "practice". You learn from doing. Some folks will have figures they aren't super attached to that are guilt free. Some dive into anything. The process of learning and improving can come in many forms ^_^

• Like 4

On 9/14/2018 at 10:01 PM, buglips*the*goblin said:

I have over 200 computers in my attic(from the smallest REXX creditcard-sied PDA, via portables such as the Osborne, to 'iron' such as an SGI Indigo2 and SUN UltraSparc, and Macs... and... and... ), probably even more Sci-fi and Fantasy books than I have minis(yet), a couple dozen jigsaw puzzles, from 1000piece up to 6000(A 1000 piece is an evening's entertaiment, a 2K will last me a weekend, 3K takes the weekened and a few evenings... 6K... is still unfinished, but packaged carefully with sections on cardboard in lots of zip-lock bags).  

As for the 'not good enough to paint...'   

I've bought doubles or even triples of some of the minis I'm a bit leary of painting. 

And for practicing new techniques, I have heaps of Tehnolog figures from russia. 

• Like 5

I don't specifically buy 'practice' miniatures, but I've got a couple of 20's of Bones figures that I don't mind throwing paint at just to get 'em done. I agree that I learn by doing, over and over again if necessary. I've also got several metal versions of Bones minis to do 'a really good job' on because I really liked that particular figure. I have enough Bones that if I decide I want to try to get better at painting red for example, I'll paint up a bunch of 'em in red until I think I'm where I want to be, then I'll go paint the metal figure that I want to look very good using what I've (hopefully) just learned.

I too, suffer from the 'not good enough' bug; I'm working on beating it into submission but I've still got a ways to go.

• Like 3

My attitude is that just about anything that I can easily buy another of is fair game to practice, experiment, and mess up on. So everything Reaper or other stable companies make that isn't a special edition. If you can buy another if you need to, why sweat the question of 'good enough', you can always paint a second one in a few years. (And that is, in fact, an interesting exercise.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've never purchased a miniature for "practice." 

I don't need to go all-in on every piece I do.  In fact, that way lies madness.  I have armies I want to paint - doing one really good figure at a time will take me far too long.  But I can "practice" techniques and get better at them, and my tabletop starts looking better every time as I intuitively learn the process for whatever technique I'm working on. 

And when I do get a single figure, I can take all the lessons I've been practicing and apply them.  Because the base-coat/shade/highlight model works just like it does for tabletop quality figures, I just add more steps in between.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doug's Workshop said:

I've never purchased a miniature for "practice." 

I don't need to go all-in on every piece I do.  In fact, that way lies madness.  I have armies I want to paint - doing one really good figure at a time will take me far too long.  But I can "practice" techniques and get better at them, and my tabletop starts looking better every time as I intuitively learn the process for whatever technique I'm working on. 

And when I do get a single figure, I can take all the lessons I've been practicing and apply them.  Because the base-coat/shade/highlight model works just like it does for tabletop quality figures, I just add more steps in between.

This is basically me as well. Mostly I'm doing units painted 4 minis at a time. But every so often I do individual minis and want to try a certain technique or colour that I normally wouldn't. Never bought a mini specially to try something out on but have hundreds because of Bones and other Kickstarters and leftovers that I can pick from. 

• Like 1