WhiteWulfe

Gear (specifically brushes) for a 7day challenge

So I'm looking at doing one of @buglips*the*goblin's seven day challenges (Dragons Don't Share - 2014 to be precise), and one of the main topics that keeps coming up is brushes, specifically ones I won't mind putting some wear and tear on, or even destroying.  For those unfamiliar with such a challenge, here's some more info...

Official 7-Day Goblin Challenge Rules Thread

Awww, it doesn't automatically do the thing anymore, where it does the nice and neat and tidy box of doom.

Anyways.  The biggest thing I'm looking for is some brushes that will be legal (size 0 max, with a guideline of 1mm diameter, and no more than 10mm in length for the brush), since my main "scratch" and "priming" brushes are probably too big (Citadel starter brushes I happened to have lying around.  One is clearly way too big, and the other is probably too shot to be reliable for a challenge)....  And are hopefully relatively inexpensive as well as last a decent time through the rough behaviour that will more than likely be happening while I am painting such a large miniature, in such a short amount of time.

Additionally, I do live in Canada, but have no problems purchasing internationally, it's just a case of us having a not as good Amazon (and the US Amazon doesn't always ship up to Canada).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips on durable, yet inexpensive brushes!

• Like 1

Q Series 5R are readily available most art places in Canada and the size 0 is definitely legit because it's the brush I use.  They're inexpensive synthetics and very robust. 

• Like 3

I'll have to take a look around and see who might carry those.  Found one place where they're super cheap, but $24 shipping o_O

I might go with Rosemary & Co though, since you've approved them but yeah, always up for alternate ideas too ^_^ (and I really should try and hit up a local place for the ones hubby got to see if I like them or not) 

• Like 1

Just got another half-dozen-odd R&co brushes, and they're phenominal - but everyone knows how I feel about them, I guess! Only downside is they don't take orders under 10P, so you're gonna have to get around three brushes - I quite like their size 4 as a utility brush.

If you do, series 33 is the standard point round, and you want the standard handle, not the long...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'll have to take a look around and see who might carry those.  Found one place where they're super cheap, but $24 shipping o_O

I might go with Rosemary & Co though, since you've approved them but yeah, always up for alternate ideas too ^_^ (and I really should try and hit up a local place for the ones hubby got to see if I like them or not) 

Windsor & Newton Galeria size 0 synthetic rounds are also in the range and those things can be found almost anywhere.  (I think a Galeria is where the dimensions guideline came from, actually)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aard_Rinn said:

Just got another half-dozen-odd R&co brushes, and they're phenominal - but everyone knows how I feel about them, I guess! Only downside is they don't take orders under 10P, so you're gonna have to get around three brushes - I quite like their size 4 as a utility brush.

If you do, series 33 is the standard point round, and you want the standard handle, not the long...

Given the looming postal strike, I'd ha e to order via FedEx just to ensure they arrived on time, so I was planning on ordering in half a dozen brushes or so to offset the shipping costs ^_^

1 hour ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Windsor & Newton Galeria size 0 synthetic rounds are also in the range and those things can be found almost anywhere.  (I think a Galeria is where the dimensions guideline came from, actually)

Ooh, I'll look into those as well, because why not ^_^ thanks for the suggestion! 

• Like 1

If you get R&Co brushes, thy also have some nice synthetic filberts good for large, flat areas or drybrushing. 

(but not allowed in a 7day challenge, of course)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

If you get R&Co brushes, thy also have some nice synthetic filberts good for large, flat areas or drybrushing. 

(but not allowed in a 7day challenge, of course)

I've heard a lot of good things regarding their Eclipse line - several people on the forums here definitely like them, and their resistance to abuse... 

If I do order from Rosemary & Co I suspect a few of the Eclipse brushes would make their way into the order even if I wouldn't get to use all of them for the challenge ^_^

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OneBoot
      We all knew this day would come eventually. The day where OneBoot tosses the very few marbles she has left into the ocean and throws herself in after them. The blank 4th spot in my lovely Goblin Challenge signature badge has been glaring at me for several months now, and my personal circumstances have now aligned to allow me to attempt this, my final Challenge.

For those of you unfamiliar with Goblin Painting Challenges, started by our very own @buglips*the*goblin, here is a link to his Kaladrax thread that started it all: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip/&

The short version of the rules is that I will be painting up Dragons Don't Share - 2014 edition in 7 days, using no brushes larger than a size 0.

Here's the long version of the rules:

You are all invited to join me in my descent into further madness! But only if you bring chocolate and gummy worms.  

On a personal note, out of all 4 Goblin Challenges, this is actually the one I've been the most nervous about all along (yes, even more so than Ma'al Drakar). Those adventurers are likely to prove to be 5 lovely little time sinks for me, and I'll have to concentrate very hard not to get caught up in all those beautiful details on them! But who knows, maybe it'll end up being the terrain that eats all my time and sanity; we get to find out together!

My general plan is as follows:
      The first couple of days will focus on brown linering and basecoating ALL THE THINGS, while also putting on faces and eyes while my hands are still fairly steady. I will work primarily on the adventurers the first few days, but will take 'breaks' to work on the terrain and the dragon in between to let my eyes and hands relax a bit from the tiny work. My aim is to finish the adventurers by the end of Day 4, or at least get them to "good enough" status; fun fiddly detail bits can be added after this point if I have time, but even without those the figures could be declared done. My final day will likely be focused on finishing up the terrain, and possibly the dragon's wings. Not sure about that yet, but that's what I anticipate.  
      Started: April 3rd 2018, 4:00pm PDT
      Finished: April 10th 2018, 8:17am PDT
      Show-off thread:

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
    • By OneBoot
      For those of you unfamiliar with Goblin Painting Challenges, started by our very own @buglips*the*goblin, here is a link to the Kaladrax thread that started it all:  http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip .

For this Challenge, I will be painting up Ma'al Drakar in 7 days, using no brushes larger than a size 0. 

The rules are posted below:

I will be starting my Challenge at 1:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time on August 2nd 2017 (link here).
      EDIT: If you want to skip all of the talky stuff, here's the link to my completion picture.
      EDIT: And here's the link to the final entry pictures.

Let the insanity begin!!!  

Huzzah!
      --OneBoot :D
    • By eldamir
      In today's episode, we find Navatharr, the mighty Golden Dragon, beset by a host of unsavory sorts.. 

The antagonists!

The Sorceress : 

I'm thinking that I need to paint the ball on the top of her staff - it looks a bit plain done in just gold.

The Thief :

She's the lightest looking of the bunch - but don't let that fool you.. behind that blonde hair and blue eyes lurks the soul of a murderess!  I mean, just look at how callously she's standing on the bones of the other poor fellow!

The Ranger :

I thought that it'd be fun to do this guy up as a drow

The fighter : 

the leader of this motley crue, he's a stone cold killer who's not afraid to face down Dragon fire in the pursuit of his evil ... uhh.. pursuits!

I wanted a scorched look on his shield, and thanks to a few folks over in the Painting Tips & Advice section, think it came out pretty decently.

The Cleric :

As the ranger was going the drow route, this fellow was just screaming to be a duergar.  He'll heal you, but only because doing so furthers his dark plans!

I added tiny little magnets to the ruins where the adventurers were going to be placed, although you can't really see these two very well (they're the only ones that I didn't cover over)

Also, I had a bit of a mishap with the 5yo attempting to add blood to things - while I applaud her bloodthirsty enthusiasm (BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!), pools of blood aren't really my painting style :)  So all of those areas were successfully painted over.  Finally, she tried her hand at pink/purple/brown in the sealed doorway at the base of the temple.  I first thought about covering it over, but with @Pochi's advice (and her own amazing DDS2 murals), I decided to try for a faded mural look.  My oldest spawn and I were looking at it and thought that the 5yo's artwork already vaguely resembled a dragon with arched wings, so instead of doing my own freehand, I simply covered it with several washes to fade it out.  Unfortunately, I think the shadow of the dragon got lost in the washes, and these pictures really don't do it any justice either.. 

Will good win the day, or will the powers of darkness dampen her golden light forever?  Tune in next time for the thrilling finale!

More of the ruins and dragon can be found in their respective show off threads..

• By eldamir
      Finished this girl up today.  My first stab at NMM using the NMM Gold triad - it didn't come out quite like I imagined, but then, it was a LOT of surface area to attempt it on ..  Regardless, she was a lot of fun to paint up and even with the botched NMM, she's still a beauty.

Also, the camera (the wife's Canon Powershot) made these pictures look sort of greenish - I don't know why.. I don't get this look with the phone camera.. /shrug :)
      Also, her claws are done in Antique Gold because I thought she should be a flashy lady.

Because she's fighting for her life (or will be once I finish the evil adventuring party), I added fresh scorch marks for the holes in her wings.  This was accomplished  by blobbing on a bit of Pure Black and rubbing it around with my finger while it was still wet.  Finger Painting a dragon.. who knew?

I found what looks like a scar across her eye, but decided that since she's in the fight of her life right now, she might as well have a fresh wound.  Coated the scar line with Gory Red. Then I dabbed a blob of Clotted Red at the bottom of the cut-line and blew it around to mimic the effects of moving her head while the fresh blood was flowing.   (also thanks to @Pingo for the suggestion to use @Guindyloo's tutorial for  eyes - I love how they came out )

Critique, comments and suggestions welcome as always..

WIP Here.
    • By eldamir
      Now that I've finally finished up the ruins for DDS2, the next step is to tackle Her Majesty, Nathavarr. 

Glued and Green-stuffed all but the head and wings, then based in NMM Gold Base.

For now, she looks like she fell in a vat of Golden's Mustard, but really, in our story, she's a poor, set-upon Gold Dragon defending her lair (and life) from evil adventurers (who have yet to be made properly Evil-looking).

• Who's Online   48 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)