Highlander

ReaperCon 2019 -- Classes I Would Take

1 minute ago, klarg1 said:

If there is serious interest in a "how to teach" class at ReaperCon, I might try to use it as an excuse to tempt Lady Klarg into attending one year.

She's not a painter at all, but she is a professor of education. Teaching teachers is her jam. ^_^

I like Lady Klarg already! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, klarg1 said:

If there is serious interest in a "how to teach" class at ReaperCon, I might try to use it as an excuse to tempt Lady Klarg into attending one year.

She's not a painter at all, but she is a professor of education. Teaching teachers is her jam. ^_^

My step mother teaches teachers as well. She even cowrote a couple of books on mixed methodology. Talking to her about it makes me realize how much I don't know about teaching. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

I really want to learn more about OSL and NMM its the one thing at reapercon this year I didn't manage to learn more about on my list!

If they manage to get Anthony Rodriguez back next year I would highly recommend taking either his NMM class or at least chatting with him in the painters area a little.  

• Like 3

On 9/14/2018 at 10:07 PM, TaleSpinner said:

@kristof65: I am working on a BMPC class.  I just need to figure out how to make it work, since several of the step require hardening between them. I'm not certain how to handle that.  I might make the armatures, rock, and eyeball ahead of time and have them focus on the rest.  Thoughts?

I had a thought about this one, but I don't know how plausible it is. 

What about a two part class?  As in this: session one, you give the students a basic armature with the raw eyeball, teach them how to do some of it, such as tentacles, eyelids, etc.   You also go over things the next step they can do on their own.   Then session two, which could be later the same day/next day, they bring their BMPC back, and you help them finish it up. 

I see some potential issues with this - scheduling, plus you would have to provide an armature.   As a four hour class, it would likely have to be more expensive, too, and between that, and potential scheduling issues for many attendees, it might be hard to fill the class with enough seats to make it worth it for you and Reaper.  Plus someone has to pay for those armatures, and I can't imagine trying to get Growtix to handle registration correctly. 

Hmm...nevermind.

ETA - and right after I hit submit, I had a more workable idea.   What about a class period that straddles lunch.  Starts at 11am, you work for an hour, take an hour break for lunch, then come back for an hour.  Would probably still need a basic armature to start, but you'd get a break in there, and it would be more compatible with Reaper's other scheduling requirements. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I had a thought about this one, but I don't know how plausible it is. 

What about a two part class?  As in this: session one, you give the students a basic armature with the raw eyeball, teach them how to do some of it, such as tentacles, eyelids, etc.   You also go over things the next step they can do on their own.   Then session two, which could be later the same day/next day, they bring their BMPC back, and you help them finish it up. 

I see some potential issues with this - scheduling, plus you would have to provide an armature.   As a four hour class, it would likely have to be more expensive, too, and between that, and potential scheduling issues for many attendees, it might be hard to fill the class with enough seats to make it worth it for you and Reaper.  Plus someone has to pay for those armatures, and I can't imagine trying to get Growtix to handle registration correctly. 

Hmm...nevermind.

ETA - and right after I hit submit, I had a more workable idea.   What about a class period that straddles lunch.  Starts at 11am, you work for an hour, take an hour break for lunch, then come back for an hour.  Would probably still need a basic armature to start, but you'd get a break in there, and it would be more compatible with Reaper's other scheduling requirements. 

At this point, I could get really excited about a 2 part sculpting class. 2 or 4 hours. Since my BMPC did so well in competition, I really want to build on that and sculpt more. 

• Like 4

the 4 hr NNM bootcamp  (Ian's) was the best class I took this year.  If the material warrants it I would love an occasional longer class. 

I am still wanting Coporea's class on basing, but won't be there again till 2020 - I did get a chance to talk to her about it this time. 

painted ladies 

free hand 

weathering (discussion-lecture format) 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

If the material warrants it I would love an occasional longer class. 

I've taken a couple of longer classes and found both to be among the best classes I've ever had. Schedules permitting, I'll always look at those longer classes, even though the prices can be (and should be) higher.

• Like 2

I think the problem with me teaching basing is that I take a mini, come up with an idea, and figure out the composition to make the idea work like I see it in my head.

I... am not sure I am capable of teaching that. I could show examples, and let people play with bases and materials, or put in the description for people to bring a mini they want to base and let the whole class brainstorm and come up with a plan, but I'm not sure how valuable that would be.

Probably safest to just bring me a mini and I'll brainstorm with you for free! ::D:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Corporea said:

I think the problem with me teaching basing is that I take a mini, come up with an idea, and figure out the composition to make the idea work like I see it in my head.

I... am not sure I am capable of teaching that. I could show examples, and let people play with bases and materials, or put in the description for people to bring a mini they want to base and let the whole class brainstorm and come up with a plan, but I'm not sure how valuable that would be.

Probably safest to just bring me a mini and I'll brainstorm with you for free! ::D:

When I put together the basing meetup at reapercon that's pretty much what happened. I knew next to nothing but brought all the materials I had and so did everyone who came also there was alot donated. I watched people do things with greenstuff and other materials it was very hands on people could just grab some things and ask what is this used for, how would this be used. Green eyed monster was even there doing experiments with static grass. I think maybe a class should sorta be like that show what materials are out there and how they're generally used. Everyone has different concepts about what tells the story of a certain mini and how it could be based.

• Like 5

So maybe a series of classes that are more like the Bones conversion 'classes' in format. Not so much instructor led, but a brainstorming and sharing of ideas and materials format. 

I can think of two workable ideas:

- Brainstorming: Basing (as outlined by Crimson)
- Brainstorming: Dioramas.    While researching here for my next diorama, I went back through some Diorama WIP posts, and found a couple that were basically huge brainstorming sessions, particularly one from @ub3r_n3rd a few years back.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Corporea said:

I enjoyed your basing class...4 years ago?  Man...has it been than long?!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corporea said:

Idea!!! 

Uhh... would instructors be willing to do poster sessions? You do amazing step by steps with your thought process on the forums already; making a poster out of that would be quite straightforward from there. Kuro has done similar, like when he did the SENMM space marine. Gather a bunch of you (willing) master brushsmiths in an area with all your pictures on boards, or whatever you deem as "useful but not good for a class setting", and let people roam and ask questions for a set amount of time. 

**just brainstorming** 

• Like 5

(having school flashbacks of trying to finish posters in time... ::o:) Maybe? I know Rhonda is good about printing out pictures.  She has a whole stash of them.  maybe we could do pictures and lay them out on a table? Pass them around?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1