thelonegoldfish

What triads to get?

Filling out an order...

For the last one I got some good advice in another thread and picked up the Mahogany Brown, Chestnut Brown, and Rust Brown triad for red hair... 

So what's your favorite and why?

(and when are the dungeon paints coming out?)

Edit: here's my current checklist (red is was filled in mostly from this page) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/154DbjQtCR6u-g-_w-zMf8g_BwuaZpk2ObwT72SqHEF8/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by thelonegoldfish
  • Like 1

Golden Skin. Dark Elf Skin. Olive Skin. They hold up really well as skin tones and are well spaced by hue. The dark elf skin is also awesome for painting "black". 

The one with Red Brick, Deep Red, and Blood Red (the deep red and red brick end up in skin tones a lot for me). 

Uhm.... Linen White, Ghost White, Leather White. Excellent for peak highlights, the whites of eyes, stuff like that. 

Stand alones: Nightshade Purple, Nightmare Black. Nightshade Purple continues the dark elf skin darker; it is almost black but actually a super dark low saturation purple. Nightmare Black is a very dark but very high saturation blue. 

NMM Gold Triad. Excellent yellows just in general, and a stepping stone for the method. 

I'll stop there for now lol.

• Like 3

Coloured Metallics Two - has Sparkling Amethyst, Sparkling Purple, and Emerald Green in it! 

Coloured METALLICS Three - has Adamantium Black, Scorched Metal, and Gunmetal Blue! 

Uhm, beyond that... 

Lava Colours - Magma Red, Lava Red, Explosion Orange

That's what immediately comes to mind ^_^;;;;

• Like 2

The off-whites are pretty great (Linen White, Ghost White, Leather White) and @Kuro Cleanbrush recommended the Martial Blues triad. It is a dusky-greyblue set that ties really well into Ghost White as the highlight. I "accidentally" found that it works really well for blue jeans/denim (not entirely the effect I was originally going for, consider it a happy accident) but I could also see it being used potentially in some NMM applications as well.

Liners. Super saturated and has almost replaced my washes in most applications where I want more precision.

Clears. Basically along the lines of inks, but not nearly as glossy as FW Daler Rowney, Scale75 Inktensity or Badger's Ghost Tints.

No personal experience, but I have heard good things about the Blonde Hair triad.

I'd love to suggest the skin triads, but I have mixed feelings about them - in my albeit very limited experience, I have found the lighter tones (Fair Highlight/Rosy Skin Highlight) tend to become a bit chalky/textured. I don't get the same texture buildup with Vallejo or Scale 75. It could be user error, but just my .02 worth - I am sure others have and can produce great results with them.

All in all, I think the Liners and Off-Whites can be used extremely frequently as your darkest shadows and highlights - very versatile.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions.

6 hours ago, Al Capwn said:

I'd love to suggest the skin triads, but I have mixed feelings about them - in my albeit very limited experience, I have found the lighter tones (Fair Highlight/Rosy Skin Highlight) tend to become a bit chalky/textured. I don't get the same texture buildup with Vallejo or Scale 75. It could be user error, but just my .02 worth - I am sure others have and can produce great results with them.

I've noticed this too. I wonder if anyone has a good way to stop that. will ask in another thread I suppose.

• Like 1

My go to triads are the tan skin triad, dark elf skin triad (mostly for metals),  the dark skin triad, and the blood triad.   I also end up using the liners pretty extensively.   

• Like 1

I'll disagree about the Tan Skin triad - get one of the bottles from it, and that's all you need. The others are too similar in tone to be worth the triad. Good paint, but not a well balanced set of three. 

• Like 1

I'm going to add "Bloodthirsty Reds" into my recommendations.  Was good enough to make hubby think, at first glance, that I'd seriously injured my right paw due to the sheer amount of splatter across it...

Oh, that and they're GORGEOUS reds!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I'll disagree about the Tan Skin triad - get one of the bottles from it, and that's all you need. The others are too similar in tone to be worth the triad. Good paint, but not a well balanced set of three. 

I mostly agree with that. But if you have the Dark Skin, Tanned Skin, and Fair Skin triads, you have a very nice continuous range of tones. For instance, Dark Highlight, Tanned Skin, and Fair Shadow work very nicely as a tanned skin triad.

And if do you use those intermediate tones, it's kind of like the way that @Kuro Cleanbrush sets up a blending/layering array without having to mix your own colors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I mostly agree with that. But if you have the Dark Skin, Tanned Skin, and Fair Skin triads, you have a very nice continuous range of tones. For instance, Dark Highlight, Tanned Skin, and Fair Shadow work very nicely as a tanned skin triad.

And if do you use those intermediate tones, it's kind of like the way that @Kuro Cleanbrush sets up a blending/layering array without having to mix your own colors.

Certainly, crossing triads works very well. It is nice to have a continuous and subtle spectrum without needing to mix colors. I think it is Tan Shadow and Tan Skin that are the major culprits. Last time I used them I could barely tell the difference at all on the palette. It is only within the single triad that I have complaints about Tan. Kinda like the Twilight Purple and Gem Purple discussion up in General; both are nice paints, but I'd argue that if you have one, you don't need the other. *Want* on the other hand is entirely different. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cyradis said:

It is only within the single triad that I have complaints about Tan.

I usually skip a step in the Dark, Tanned, Fair skin between shadow and midtone and between midtone and highlight. So shadow might be Dark Highlight, midtone Tanned Skin, and highlight Fair Shadow, for instance. In which case Tanned Shadow and Tanned Highlight work great as tweened tones that don't need to be mixed.

• Like 2

Been thinking about this one for awhile. Last year I did a major switch to mostly Reaper paints. I bought a large somewhat random lot off ebay and then started to fill out various triads. I was excited about the triads because I figured it was shading made easy. Asked the same questions thelonegoldfish is asking and got some good answers. The main thing I went for first was a lot of the skin triads because I'm pickier about skin tone more than other colours. Found out that some of them (tan like Cyradis mentioned and dark skin) seem to have 2 very similar tones and one much different tone. After fooling around with the triads I found out I like mixing up the shades between various triads more than sticking to that specific group. I have over 200 paints now, over half from Reaper. Makes it easy for finding a shade I like for almost anything.

That said here's a few triads I like.

9750 Undead skin tones. I like this for zombies and by adding a glaze or wash of other colours have used it for different pale races like zombie trolls.

9748 Ivory bone. Great for various shades of bone or highlights with yellow or pale browns/tans or shadows for whites.

9721 Off whites. White is such a pain to shade. These give you subtle tints that I like a lot better than your standard bright white. 

9781 Red Hair. Could never do a decent red head until I got these. 

Kind of shows that I like the triads best for subtle shading of lighter colours. I'm fine with sharper contrasts on the strong primary colours but like to try and get smoother ones on light shades.

• Like 3

The green triad with Peacock Green is very good, I agree there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1