kristof65

What colors for hobgoblin skin?

I'm having a hard time figuring out what colors I want to use for the skin tones on my hobgoblins - what would you all use? 

8 minutes ago, kitchen_wolf said:
  Hide contents

Cover of B2 - The Keep on the Borderlands

There's always the classics.

Pretty much how I do mine, they tend to be a shade of red with male leaders having the blue nose marking.

Pathfinder's or at least 1e Path are grey.

Spoiler

427px-Hobgoblin_portrait.jpg

5e's are a shade of orange, no blue marking:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20171011030221

• Like 1

I was thinking maybe i would go with a hint of the classic red, or orange from the current edition - maybe paint them up as perpetually sunburnt. 

I just need to figure out what colors to do that. Off to see if Reaper anyone has any sunburnt skin tones. 

• Like 2

From my TSR Games Monster Manual, 4th Edition, August, 1979:  "The hairy hides of hobgoblins range from a dark reddish-brown to gray black.  Their faces are bright red-orange to red. Large Males will have blue-red noses.  Eyes are either yellowish or dark brown.  Teeth are yellowed white to dirty yellow.  Hobgoblins favor bright, bloody colors and black leather.  they keep weapons well polished."

• Like 2

Hot pink

But in all seriousness, I am of the belief that orcs and kobolds and goblins and gremlins and their kin can come in literally any color, at the painter's choice. The painter should think It Looks Cool. 

• Haha 1

I mostly use people colors for people-shaped things. That's true of goblins, humans, hobgoblins, ogres, dwarves, elves, .... Oh, maybe mix in a bit of blue or green or purple or orange just to give them a bit more fantastic feel, but basically that.

(Goblins are definitely not green. :grr: ::D:)

And I wouldn't expect to see every hobgoblin with the same skin tone any more than I'd expect to see every human with the same skin tone, though in any given community there would probably be a smaller range of tones than in the species as a whole.

• Like 2

Does anyone have any samples of the MSP bright skin triad?   That one is looking interesting to me. 

If I remember right this guy was done with the bright skin triad except that the mid tone was  Vallejo Bronzed Flesh paint. 

monk.thumb.jpg.8d42e1026a6bd45eda173773e1674d7d.jpg

• Like 2

I did some searching for the term, too.  Based on the colors I saw in the triad, i was expecting a little more orangish in the overall hue, but that doesn't appear to be the case with this example, nor any I can find.  Once again, Anne proves that she knows her color theory, especially when it comes to making good looking skin triads.

I'm going to have to do some experimenting, it seems, to get what I'm picturing.  Good thing I have more than a dozen hobgoblins to paint. 

Edited by kristof65

On 9/19/2018 at 5:31 PM, kitchen_wolf said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Image result for Keep on the borderlands

Cover of B2 - The Keep on the Borderlands

There's always the classics.

+1 vote here.  Hobgoblins are always orange with blue noses.  There is no school like old school.

The Egg

1 hour ago, Egg of Coot said:

There is no school like old school.

I've never met a hobgoblin with orange skin and a blue nose. That's just a caricature.

:poke:

On 9/20/2018 at 10:40 AM, kristof65 said:

Does anyone have any samples of the MSP bright skin triad?   That one is looking interesting to me. 

If I remember to get my act together, I will try to post something tonight.

I used the Bright Skin Triad for my Ahsoka Tano.  I wanted something a little more orange, but I think it's OK.