Sign in to follow this  
HolkDiggity

29819 (Twilight Purple) & 29820 (Gem Purple)

A question for anyone who may know:

I got a really good price on a secondhand Set #2 of Reaper MSP HD that was "never used". I don't know how true that is, but the paint seems fine. Only thing is that Twilight Purple and Gem Purple look almost identical to me. Are they really that close in shade, or did I get a mislabel? If it's a mislabel, I want to add the missing one to my shopping list. Anybody have these two colors and feel like snapping a pic for me?

Just checked mine and they look *almost * identical.  Gem Purple is a tiny bit lighter.  It's entirely possible that they thin differently, I don't have time to test them.

• Like 4

They are kinda similar, Gem Purple is lighter though. I'm just slapping some paint on a base to show you the difference- I'll post a pic once the paint is dry :poke:

• Like 4

You rock!! That's how mine are, but I wanted to be sure. The little "swatches" on Reaper's site make Twilight look a lot more blue. Again, thank you so much!!

Edited by HolkDiggity
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HolkDiggity said:

You rock!! That's how mine are, but I wanted to be sure. The little "swatches" on Reaper's site make Twilight look a lot more blue. Again, thank you so much!!

The swatches aren't always accurate.  Honestly, that statement can be said of pretty much any product on the internet that is sold in a color.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

The swatches aren't always accurate.  Honestly, that statement can be said of pretty much any product on the internet that is sold in a color.  

No kidding. Gem dealers go through some major hoops and high costs to get a lighting and camera system, computer and monitor,  that can convey color properly, and they're regularly being updated. They take a ton of standardization to do. Not all places do it, but for the sake of online sales and people getting what they want on high value items it becomes more necessary. For a $3-4 bottle of paint, it isn't as troublesome to just get a generic idea.

• Like 2

I used to work in photo retail and we constantly had customers who noticed the differences in color between their prints and their monitors at home.  Our Dlabs were balanced several times a day but noone balances their home monitors.  Smart phones are even worse.  They are almost all balanced toward the cooler end of the light spectrum.  

I always give the colors I see online alot of latitude. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Hibou said:

I used to work in photo retail and we constantly had customers who noticed the differences in color between their prints and their monitors at home.  Our Dlabs were balanced several times a day but noone balances their home monitors.  Smart phones are even worse.  They are almost all balanced toward the cooler end of the light spectrum.  

I always give the colors I see online alot of latitude. 

We've had people order custom 2-3 color gift cards using Pantone colors, but they based their color choices off of Pantone colors they've found online.  They get real upset when they find out they got exactly what they ordered. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

We've had people order custom 2-3 color gift cards using Pantone colors, but they based their color choices off of Pantone colors they've found online.  They get real upset when they find out they got exactly what they ordered. 

I remember when I worked for Epson printer support, and all the Pantone related calls we would get (because epson stylus printers were supposed to be pantone accurate). Those were not too bad to resolve, it was all the crazy other calls we would get::o: 

• Like 2