Sign in to follow this  
Crimson_king_of_the_tower

Priming for mold lines

15 minutes ago, Crimson_king_of_the_tower said:

Was just thinking about this earlier today. Does anyone ever prime a model just to make mold lines more apparent so they can sand/shave them away then strip or reprime after they are done?

Is there a fundamental difference between, "I'm priming this to find mold lines" and "I'm priming this and I'll find mold lines like every other time I've primed a miniature"?

:rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Is there a fundamental difference between, "I'm priming this to find mold lines" and "I'm priming this and I'll find mold lines like every other time I've primed a miniature"?

I imagine not lol I always have problems seeing them with my eyes like they are until I prime it so im considering just priming first getting rid of them then touching up the primer layer

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Invariably you will discover more far too late during the latter. ::D:

I think what @Crimson_king_of_the_tower is getting at is with the contrast of the primer having the effect of making the mold lines stand out more. For example, in the autobody repair industry to highlight defects on a surface, a fine light coat of paint called a "guidecoat" is used and then lightly sanded to show the hills and valleys of the surface. The surface can then be treated (either with additional sanding, or using filler). I would imagine the same can be applied to minis as well.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Al Capwn said:

Invariably you will discover more far too late during the latter. ::D:

I think what @Crimson_king_of_the_tower is getting at is with the contrast of the primer having the effect of making the mold lines stand out more. For example, in the autobody repair industry to highlight defects on a surface, a fine light coat of paint called a "guidecoat" is used and then lightly sanded to show the hills and valleys of the surface. The surface can then be treated (either with additional sanding, or using filler). I would imagine the same can be applied to minis as well.

you put it way better than I could've lol thank you

• Like 1

I put black ink on the mold lines of my minis before filing them off. Cuts down on the number of lines I miss, but there aren't as many places I have to repair the primer.

Edited by Flit
  • Like 5

I apply thinned Brown Liner to Bones minis before removing mold lines because I can't see them otherwise.

On metal minis, I can usually see the mold lines without help.

• Like 3

I have changed up my priming method to help me find mold lines. I used to prime in black so I could cheat and not worry about missed crevisies. Now, If its metal, I'll prime with grey automotive primer. If its Bonesium, I'll use brown liner. If its something else, I'll use Badger's tinted airbrush primers (color choice depends on the model)

• Like 3