Sign in to follow this  
Crowley

Crowley's Giant Speedpaint

Giants are one of the types of monsters that I rarely use in my own game, but I happen to be playing in Storm King's Thunder, which is an entire module about giants. So yet again I find myself painting some monsters for my DM to use against me. This time it includes the Frost Giant King that I skipped out of Bones 3. 

I primed them with Reaper's Liners, Red for the Fire Giant Jailer, Grey for the Frost Giant King, and Blue for the Storm Giant. 

IMG_20180922_220315.thumb.jpg.a3ba2964f7d14469cbe2f9e9c1f45e64.jpg

Much like the Sepia Liner, Red Liner doesn't seem to have the same adhesive quality as the Brown, Blue, and Grey Liners. Also, for some reason it smells really bad. However mostly it was the rubbing off issue that caused me to repaint it. 

After priming them over the weekend, I sat down tonight and spent about 2 hours getting as much done as I could, hoping to have them table ready for Wednesday. I've got another 2 hours or so tomorrow that I'll get to spend on them, so here's hoping... 

IMG_20180924_213835.thumb.jpg.dad7d0d79fa8c2924de5a495470d19c1.jpg

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 13

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By KingMob
      Oh that Werner, he's done it again! Let me introduce you to Vanja, the Fire Giant Queen - original size. She's a great size for an Ogre and as a Player Character. Bones once again! Great level of detail allows so much to be done to bring life to the face. Her armor reminds me of my SCA rig. 

Autumn hue, same palette as the Huge variation posted earlier. Underpainting/sketching used before paint. Plus! Pushed contrast. (Something a little bird taught me.)

Gonna paint another. 

Enjoy.

• By KingMob
      For your viewing pleasure is Vanja, the Fire Giant Queen - without that hot, itchy cloak. The spot for her cloak was filled in and sculpted with Green Stuff to match her muscular anatomy. 

Bones, Basil! Bones! I am continually impressed with the Bones medium. High detail, resilient, and inexpensive. She is going into my Orcs and Goblins Oldhammer Army. 

Enjoy.

• By Guyscanwefocusplease
      Hi all,

It's been awhile since I have painted!  Summers are always busy for me.

A few months back I was approached by an old friend who got back into DnD.  He started to buy some minis, and I showed him my profile here.

Back in June, he called me to ask if I would be interested in painting a special character for his campaign- Harshnag the frost giant.  The mini looked cool and I really wanted to help him out, so I said bring it on!

It's taken me far too long to do this, but you know what? I kind of like re-paints.  There's a level of pressure that's taken off with color choice that is really nice.

Anyway, I didn't take many pictures, but here are a few.

This is what arrived- pre-painted from WOTC, but only color blocking (ans often a bit sloppy in places). The whole thing would need to be painted over since I'd probably mess up color matching.

Here's after having done steps 1-10 or so.  Model mostly re-painted and shaded, highlighted, and drybrushed where it needs to be.  Still some work to do on the leather. Also decided to add in some bronze for a pop of color- though my buddy specified he wants it weathered and worn down.

Here we are after doing the verdigris.  The chainmail will be rusted as well- after doing the final verdigris highlights I'll move to the chainmail.

I really like the messy verdigris look- I think it draws my eyes to it more, though I'll be continuing to refine a range of verdigris effects in this and future works.  The nice thing is I am working on a quick and dirty verdigris technique that I think works really well!

Anyway, enjoy! C&C welcome as always.
    • By Felltyde
      Guardian of the Twin Pass, bad guy for my campaign...still needs a touch-up or two, but looks good on the table 

• By Lidless Eye
      Another completed 3D print, again designed by Duncan Shadow.

This guy had a bit of a restoration.  The printer knocked his head off overnight in a 20 hour print, so I attempted my first partial print and printed only from that point up and glued him together.  The gap is more obvious on his back.  I used model car filler, but I think my tube was a bit too old.

And one with Sir Forscale:

• Who's Online   13 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)