Clearman

Scale75 - The Chronicles of Run

Hey @Clearman I guess you didn't get the message that I am trying to take a break from KS!  Please do post things likes this!  They do not help my budget

Well I might as well admit to myself that I probably will not be able to pass this one.  Does any one have any busts/miniatures from Scale 75?  Are they decent models?  

Edited by NecroMancer
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Hey @Clearman I guess you didn't get the message that I am trying to take a break from KS!  Please do post things likes this!  They do not help my budget

Well I might as well admit to myself that I probably will not be able to pass this one.  Does any one have any busts/miniatures from Scale 75?  Are they decent models?  

I have some, and they're quite nice. That said, Scale 75's Naughty Gears project had some significant problems with unauthorized derivative works (creating sculpts directly from flat art without approval of the flat art artist) during the project. I'm interested, but I want some assurances before I commit to this one.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I have some, and they're quite nice. That said, Scale 75's Naughty Gears project had some significant problems with unauthorized derivative works (creating sculpts directly from flat art without approval of the flat art artist) during the project. I'm interested, but I want some assurances before I commit to this one.

I remember this.  They got called on it and took action to try to resolve.  Didn't follow closely enough to know how well those actions were accepted, but the project funded and fulfilled without any issues.  It might have just been a slap on the wrist.  I don't recall any such drama on their "Heros of the Fallen Frontier" project.

• Like 3

Just now, Clearman said:

I remember this.  They got called on it and took action to try to resolve.  Didn't follow closely enough to know how well those actions were accepted, but the project funded and fulfilled without any issues.  It might have just been a slap on the wrist.  I don't recall any such drama on their "Heros of the Fallen Frontier" project.

They pulled some sculpts completely after the end of the campaign and modified others. It is my understanding that they did not accept any requests for refunds from people who had backed specifically to get the withdrawn sculpts.

Pretty sketchy conduct by my lights, but the final sculpts that they did deliver were quite nice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

They also made unlicensed Witcher sculpts that were not just inspired by, like many companies tread the murky water of, they were exact replicas of pre-existing official art... after selling them, they then just quietly removed them, presumably after receiving a C&D letter.

I admit that I do still purchase Scale75's paints and have purchased many of the aforementioned murky "inspired by" type sculpts from other companies, but I no longer trust that Scale75 can be expected not to steal exact figure designs from other artists, so all of their figure kickstarters are an auto-pass for me. They could change my mind, but it would have to be done through good will, not nice figures.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, NecroMancer said:

The quality of the bust I just got is top notch. Hard to find any flaws on it. The metal figures are all very good except for one, and honestly, it was a KS incentive piece (arm needs some greenstuff, and it is a 35mm - not their usual). I have two 75mm metal figures of theirs to paint and they're really good (Sherlock and Watson). 

I wasn't in on the Naughty Gears and haven't seen the Witcher issues, but I believe Doug and Guindy. I'd like to get future stuff verified as artist-approved. 

I am hoping this is more of a game thing than a minis thing, because I need an excuse to wait on it. Well cast fantasy stuff? AHHHH. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

The quality of the bust I just got is top notch. Hard to find any flaws on it. The metal figures are all very good except for one, and honestly, it was a KS incentive piece (arm needs some greenstuff, and it is a 35mm - not their usual). I have two 75mm metal figures of theirs to paint and they're really good (Sherlock and Watson). 

I wasn't in on the Naughty Gears and haven't seen the Witcher issues, but I believe Doug and Guindy. I'd like to get future stuff verified as artist-approved. 

I am hoping this is more of a game thing than a minis thing, because I need an excuse to wait on it. Well cast fantasy stuff? AHHHH. 

I wouldn't hate if it was a game so I could save myself the money but I would also like to get some nice fantasy busts (hopefully at a better price than retail).  I have really wanted to get some busts for awhile and this might get me to finally buy some.

• Like 3

In my experience Scale75 come up with good sculpts but the production quality isn't always there. Parts might not quite fit. There may be mould lines. Basically the finished product should be quite nice but you'll have to put a bit of work in yourself.

For the record I backed their Duel Fighter's "54mm" fantasy skirmish game (the figures were 72mm) and the original Fallen Frontiers campaign. In each case I got everything I backed for. The Fallen Frontiers 35mm resin figures went together really well. The 72mm "54mm" figures had a few issues and the metal 30mm minis (scaled down versions of 2 of the "54mm" figs) have issues trying to keep the arms attached.

IMG_3628.JPG.230043b5eda56ea414ae8bdfc2218dc3.JPG

Quick early evening photo under electric light with a camera where it's impossible to disable the flash :(.

Here's the "54mm" female paladin and the regular gaming scale version in metal from the Duel Fighters project. On each figure the Shield Arms keeps wanting to fall off. I might have had to pin the shield arm on the smaller figure. I will get 'round to painted them some day, honest. I even got a spare copy of the larger version for use as a battlefield statue or something.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

They make excellent quality miniatures.  I've had no problem at all with the casting quality on any of the kits that I own (I've honestly been quite impressed with them all).

I haven't backed any of their kickstarters, but I have picked up quite a few of their resin Smog Riders range (I haven't seen an intellectual property issues there).

Edited by odinsgrandson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And this just went live!  Backed for two,  Probably going for Aruk'ka and Lisbeth.  We'll see how I do at resisting adding more later on...

Edited by Mckenna35

They're being lame on the exclusives, but meh. Figures are gorgeous. Cost though.... *pouts*

• Like 1