TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

Welcome to Getting to Know you, October 2018 Edition.

The rules as they currently stand:

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or something) I will post a question.

1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and take my place... 

2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)
3. Questions are going to be posted between 6AM and 9AM CST
4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me. 
5. You do not have to answer every question to play...
6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why are always fun).
7. As I am seldom if ever in a position to post on weekends, weekend questions will take the form of three day quests, starting on Fridays.  I will try to make these miniature related.

• Like 8

Oct 1: What is your favorite soup? (or top 3 if you are a soupiphile like me and cannot choose)

(based on a question by Inarah)

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 1: What is your favorite soup? (or top 3 if you are a soupiphile like me and cannot choose)

I'd have to go with a homemade beef soup that's simmered in a slow cooker for 12-16 hours.  Stew beef that's been chopped smaller is fine although flank steak really seals it in my opinion...  But of course it also has to have a good amount of veggies while we're at it ^_^

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

It's got to be Heinz Cream of Tomato soup, possibly accompanied with a toasted cheese sandwich.

Which reminds me, time for lunch  ::D:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

We will assume that Thai Green Curry falls on the other side of the soup line (which doesn't involve standing in line for soup) and go with clam chowder. (The real stuff, not that red Manhattan stuff.)

BTW, the consistency of good clam chowder is pretty similar to that of green curry or chile, but the first is still a soup and the others are not. It's not my fault; it's just the way of the universe.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Chicken. 

• Like 9

Top 5 all homemade:

1. Chicken with rice and dumplings

2. Seafood Soup/Clam Chowder (Same base, only differ on what seafood ends up in them)

3. Split Pea with Ham

4. Wild Mushroom Soup

5. Wild Rice Soup (from the Byerly's cookbook) but made with bourbon instead of sherry

• Like 10

So many choices, but right now my top choice would be Thai coconut soup. I have found a couple places that make a good one.  Second choice would be a good seafood chowder, creamy, not too thick, with identifiable chunks of seafood, and a little smoky bacon. Much harder to find around here.  Third, I am almost always up for a steaming bowl of French onion soup and a big hunk of cheese toast. 

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Hmmm, I like soup: Cheddar Broccoli, Tortilla, Spicy Cheeseburger, Stuffed Pepper, Curry Thai Chicken, Chicken & Dumplings, Chicken Potpie, Chilis (if you consider them soups), most bisques...

There are usually 2 or 3 competing choices when I go to Zoup! (exclamation point is part of the name). Hard to pick a favorite.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Campbell's Cream of Tomato/Green Pea (creamed) or both. The "both" is a recipe my Mom got from a Campbell's Soup can. It is a mix of the Tomato & Green Pea that the called Puree of Mongol.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I love soup! And I usually always have a batch of homemade soup in the fridge, especially in winter.

My regulars are vegetable soup; carrot soup; and butternut squash soup.

My recipes are pretty simple:

• Vegetable soup: two cans of diced tomatoes, mix of diced veggies (generally carrots, green peas, onions, celery, beans, corn, etc.), chicken stock.
  • Carrot soup: several pounds of diced carrots, onion, a potato or two (to thicken), chicken stock. Blend after cooking.
  • Butternut squash soup: diced squash, onion, a potato or two, chicken stock. Blend after cooking.

The secret ingredient being chicken stock, which is often turkey stock. Less frequently pork/beef. Since they're also all homemade, it depends on what I had the previous weeks. Seasonings vary: salt, pepper, oregano, rosemary, turmeric, garlic, etc. Depends on what I have around in the pantry.

I also use olive oil, but only add it when I'm about to eat it.

Since I have a nice hand blender, I tend to blend directly in the pot. Cooked carrots, squash, potatoes, blend real smooth.

Now if I'm really in the mood, I make Vietnamese Pho soup. It's not particularly difficult, but it is time consuming as it has many little steps, and cannot be prepared in small quantities. I only make it if it's for group gatherings.

One type of soup I like but never made for myself is French onion soup. Mostly because I don't normally have wine or beef broth around.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6

Not a big soup lover but my favourite is the wife's borscht. What I eat the most often would be Campbell's Chunky chicken corn chowder.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Zink said:

What I eat the most often would be Campbell's Chunky chicken corn chowder.

I just acquired a can of that. 

Oct 1: What is your favorite soup?

Going with three:

Tomato Basil 

( there is a chain of restaurants called La Madeleine that introduced me to it ... have not found a canned version that is as good as theirs )

Campbells Chunky Chicken with Dumplings 

Campbells Chunky Beef with ___________

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'll go top 3:

Gumbo, which I'm counting as soup even though some may argue that it's more of a stew, but I think it just depends on who makes it. And I mean cajun gumbo, not creole gumbo. Tomatoes don't belong in gumbo and I'm not a fan of filé gumbo. 

Angry Potato Soup. My uncle's cajun spin on loaded baked potato soup. Dubbed as 'Angry' because I told him that it was so good that it was making me angry.

La Madeleine's Tomato Basil. Best tomato soup I've had. (I see @TGP knows how wonderful it is!)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Top 5:

1. Lobster Bisque

2. Beef Stew

3. Chili

4. Tom Yum Soup

5. Italian Wedding

• Like 6