TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

45 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 8: How far do you travel to get to work and how long does it take?

Used to be 40 miles and roughly 45 minutes. Now it's about 10 miles or so and about 15 minutes.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

13 miles. It's about 20 minutes going in (at 0600) and 25-30 going home (@1500).

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I just measured it; I travel 12' 3" to work; i.e., from my bed to my worktable. It was less of a commute when I was living on Long Island, but things are bigger & further away in Texas.

When I was working at Sperry's/UNISYS, I had a commute of between 50 & 65 miles one way...I moved a few times. Travel time depended on the shift I was working.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

59 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

About six miles.  15-25 minutes depending on traffic and stoplights.

Walking used to take about two hours, which I've done before.  It should take about two hours now since they've added sidewalks for the last half mile.  (I used to have to go out of my way at the end because that stretch of road was dangerous.)

There's a rumor we'll get bus service out by my office in the coming year.  We'll see what that does for my commute.

• Like 5

11 miles, 20 minutes.  In a year and a half though it will start taking me about an hour; they are putting a bike bridge across the river right now, so once that is open I plan on biking to work when I can.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Between 15 and 30 steps, depending on if I am walking from my kitchen or my bedroom.  How long it takes depends on if I have to stop and deal with my kids, pet or wife. 

• Like 5

Ok, no pics because they're in a closet with a lot of other stuff in the way, but oldest minis are several Partha Dragonlance minis (Takhisis and Lord Soth's Charge), several of the Grenadier Dragon Lords minis, Partha's "The Conflict" diorama set, and a few other Grenadier box sets. Also, Thunderbolt Mountain's Swan Ship. Not sure which is actually the oldest among those.

Most valuable (or at least most expensive when purchased, the Takky is likely worth more on ebay?) might be the Special Edition Elmore Dragon from one of the first Darksword Kickstarters.

My commute is about nine miles. I can either ride the bus or my bike, and it's about 45 minutes either option. I can cut that in half or better on my bike, but it's a far less enjoyable way to start the day.

The bike trail runs along the Monongahela River and is really lovely in the mornings, especially when the Bald Eagles are out and about. I also once had a rabbit run ahead of me for about a quarter mile, silly thing couldn't decide whether to keep running or duck off the side of the trail to escape. Scariest moment was nearly getting t-boned... On a bicycle trail, about a half mile from any access roads... By a deer. 

That said, I'd rather ride the trail than the roads. And the only real advantage to the bus is spinning pokestops.

This is taken from the trail. The last part of the trail is less bucolic than what I described above, but Pittsburgh has a really stunning skyline which makes up for it. It's actually one of the things I really enjoy about the commute: I get both the peace of a wooded trail and the drama of City & Sky. This photo was taken in the evening, on my way home (in February; the trees have leaves, now).

IMAG0485.thumb.jpg.3eef2cea64c88d56160825223172ce77.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I work from home 4 days a week, so essentially zero travel time.

When I drive to the office, its ~25 miles and 30 minutes.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

about 6 miles depending on path.

between ten minutes and an hour and a half.

• Like 4

On 10/5/2018 at 9:01 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 5, 6, 7: Weekend Quest

What is the oldest, rarest, and/or most valuable mini you own?

Have you painted it?
Find said mini (painted or not), take a picture, and post it here for us to admire.

This is a bit complicated.

Rarest:

Rarest has to be the pair of cats I have from @TaleSpinner himself, which are each unique in this world, and beautiful pieces. On the other hand, I'm not sure if one-off sculptures count as "rare", so much as personal. In terms of production miniatures, I have a copy of "The Chuppa" (based on art by @Sirithiliel) from Hearth Stone Miniatures, which I suspect is pretty uncommon. I also have a copy of "The Keeper", by Red Box Games that is cast in spin-cast resin from Tre's first Kickstarter. The sculpt isn't that rare, but resin versions are. (Mine also has the distinction of having flash trimmed from its face by Tre himself, so there's that.)

Oldest:

I don't think I have anything super old. I doubt that I have anything that dates from earlier than the mid-80's, which would include some older lead Battletech miniatures, and a blister or two of similar era Ral Partha fantasy figures.

Most Valuable:

This title again might go to my cats by Talespinner, but that's once again driven by their uniqueness. As much as I love them, and they have personal value to me, based on the subjects, and because they are hand sculpted by a friend, that doesn't really translate into a high "fair market value". The most valuable thing I have, by resale value, is probably the limited production resin Nethyrmaul I bought at ReaperCon.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

30 km and about 25 minutes. I've gotten used to living in town and driving to the farm to work but I really miss just walking out the door and being there. If I had my current house and high speed internet on the farm I'd be in heaven. The wife and kids wouldn't be as happy though.

4 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

Rarest:

Rarest has to be the pair of cats I have from @TaleSpinner himself, which are each unique in this world, and beautiful pieces. On the other hand, I'm not sure if one-off sculptures count as "rare", so much as personal. In terms of production miniatures, I have a copy of "The Chuppa" (based on art by @Sirithiliel) from Hearth Stone Miniatures, which I suspect is pretty uncommon. I also have a copy of "The Keeper", by Red Box Games that is cast in spin-cast resin from Tre's first Kickstarter. The sculpt isn't that rare, but resin versions are. (Mine also have the distinction of having flash trimmed from its face by Tre himself, so there's that.)

That's cool and I hadn't really thought about rarest in that way. I guess my rarest minis would be some wolfen archers that I had custom sculpted for me. I had planned on getting an entire army in 28mm and having them sold as official minis for Armies of Arcana. The deal with the rules went south and I gave up on the idea but have 6 different archer models. One person in Toronto has 20 of them and I have about 10. Really should get some more cast. 

• Like 5

About 6 km. Takes around 15 minutes, using public transit. 

• Like 4

Anything up to about 11,000 miles, a day and a half and 2 international flights.

I usually join/leave ship in either Singapore, the Arabian Gulf or the Gulf of Mexico.

International flight is a LOT less romantic than it used to be when I first started this job. (Unlike policemen, cabin crew seem to have got OLDER and UGLIER as the years go by.)

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

(Unlike policemen, cabin crew seem to have got OLDER and UGLIER as the years go by.)

I'm not sure that's unique to cabin crew. All these people around me seem to be doing the same thing.

I'll not speculate about myself.

::P:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Work?  What is this concept.  I am on a 645 day weekend at this time.  Ain't retirement great?

• Like 3
  • Haha 6