TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

11 miles, 20 minutes.  In a year and a half though it will start taking me about an hour; they are putting a bike bridge across the river right now, so once that is open I plan on biking to work when I can.

These days, my commute is a touch under 6 miles (~9.5 km), but it takes me a good 40 minutes to cover using mass transit. (With the best alternate route taking closer to an hour) On a low-traffic day*, I could probably drive it in closer to 20-25 minutes, but commuter parking near where I work is an almost comedic proposition, unless you're willing to pay $400+ for a monthly garage pass some place.

* - "Low traffic day" meaning Sunday morning, or something similar. This is not a thing that exists on a normal week day around here.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 8: How far do you travel to get to work and how long does it take?

about 2 miles. Maybe 20 minutes. Most of those minutes are spent walking to and waiting for the subway.

Getting home, on the other hand, is longer. The subway stops running at 1230am and I work until 1. There's a bus that takes me half way at which point I walk the rest. Maybe 30 minutes home. Unless I miss the bus and have to walk home, then it's 40 minutes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

14 miles and about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic and amount of red lights. I take side streets, the freeway would at least double the time due to the 57/60 interchange which is the worst for congestion and accidents in California.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

It's 9-11 minutes to get to work (depends on how many red lights I hit, and how long I have to wait to merge onto the Yellowhead), and 13-15 minutes to get home due to a 2.5 minute light I wind up waiting through 1-2 light cycles to get through...  Assuming I made it back to the office before the day was over.  That particular trip is apparently 7.6km according to Google Maps.

If I finish the day in my delivery area, it's usually closer to 35-40 minutes to get home, and at least 18km.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SGHawkins09 said:

14 miles and about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic and amount of red lights. I take side streets, the freeway would at least double the time due to the 57/60 interchange which is the worst for congestion and accidents in California.

Oh come on now, you know the worst is ANYWHERE on the 91 freeway:)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I roll out of bed and I'm here. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

28 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

3-25 minutes, depending on whether or not a train is going through and how long it is.

Ugh, trains, the worst nightmare of anyone who has to cross the tracks for them...  I have to deal with the LRT on one side of my route (and with two lines running during the day in that area, it's a train every 5 minutes... Or less, since it runs two ways), and on the other is Canadian Pacific (who thankfully runs a semi-regular schedule, so just don't try crossing the lines between 10:00-10:30 (usually a 15 minute train), and during 11:45-13:15 (usually a 20 minute train)).  Annoying problem is when I'm helping the other southside driver out, I also have to deal with a different CPR line ~and~ CN Rail, and man there are a LOT of tracks running along 50th Street (plus the giant mess 75th Street is too, from LRT construction).

At least it's usually just switching I have to deal with (so 2-5 minutes), but those semi-scheduled ones sure take a bite out of your day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Oh come on now, you know the worst is ANYWHERE on the 91 freeway:)

Oh, you mean the 91 parking lot. I avoid it like the plague even during non rush hour traffic. The 57/60 aren't as bad on their own but the interchange is a nightmare.

44 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Ugh, trains, the worst nightmare of anyone who has to cross the tracks for them... 

Totally agree. My work is right next to some tracks and there is another set nearby. I had to plan my route to work to avoid crossing them as both are extremely busy due to being main lines into Los Angeles. Our other plant though is located right between them so crossing some tracks is unavoidable. When I worked there, I once got stuck at a crossing for 30 minutes because the train was not moving. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

2.8 miles. 

Commute just increased from 2 stop lights to three so it now takes a whopping 7 minutes to get to work in the morning.

For my evening commute, I choose to take the long way, 3.6 miles and it will take me 9 minutes to get home.

I am the second closest employee to the shop.  There are three others that are roommates that are within a half mile.

I only filled the car's gas tank once in the last 30 days.

• Like 11

On 10/5/2018 at 9:01 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 5, 6, 7: Weekend Quest

What is the oldest, rarest, and/or most valuable mini you own?

Have you painted it?
Find said mini (painted or not), take a picture, and post it here for us to admire.

Oldest---toss up.  It's possibly the same frost giant that EvilHalfling has posted below (stealing your pic, dude), but I know I have some other old school Ral Partha figs stashed away somewhere, so there could be one that's even older....

I am actually working on painting it right now.

Rarest: I'm assuming you mean actually produced/commercially available, otherwise I've got a whole host of conversions that are all one offs. For this one, I'm going to go with the resin master of Nathylarotep (sp?) that I won at the Reapercon auction this year. Sure, there's going to a whole bunch available eventually, but there aren't too many in resin.

Most valuable---no idea. I've got a bunch of the old 'unseen' Ral Partha Battletech figures from way back when that tend to go for stupid prices on ebay. I've got other old figures that may also be quite valuable; I really have no idea.

Edit: here's my giant 

20181008_180242.thumb.jpg.0249cbe9002417e1a49adaa04cf1e704.jpg

On 10/6/2018 at 11:01 AM, Evilhalfling said:

This is my first mini ever, painted (1984)  - Ral partha 1977 is printed on the bottom.

40756100_10215091311049074_6169309505218674688_n.jpg

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Approximately 15 miles, and it takes about 30 minutes.  It's either back roads the whole way, so a lower driving speed, or the highway, but that goes way out of the way.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 4

On 10/5/2018 at 7:01 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 5, 6, 7: Weekend Quest

What is the oldest, rarest, and/or most valuable mini you own?

Have you painted it?
Find said mini (painted or not), take a picture, and post it here for us to admire.

Didn't do this over the weekend for reasons and I'm not going to do pictures for laziness. So there! Ha! (But hopefully something might be interesting anyway.)

:rolleyes:

Oldest would be one of the minis that I got at a Rhein Confederation Wargames Society auction in about 1977. I was a broke high school student and most of the people bidding were single soldiers and airmen who didn't have much to spend their money on. So I bid on lots of stuff and got none. The guy selling the minis took pity on me and gave me some of the rejects, in part because I drove the price higher on so many lots. ^_^ 

Second oldest group would be the Minifigs fantasy figures that I bought in London at about the same time. There was a miniatures/gaming store that advertised in the Tottenham Court Road tube station (the store was around the corner), and being a gamer, that was like the smell of blood to a vampire. I still have some of the (badly sculpted) orcs, mummies, Amazons, and whatever that I picked up there.

Rarest? Not at all sure. I have a bunch of Grenadier, Ral Partha, and Harlequin boxed sets of a variety of sorts that I bought in the '80s and '90s, quite a few Alternative Armies and Off the Wall Armies fantasy figures, Ogre metal miniatures, .... When I worked for Games Quarterly Catalog, one of my boss's many side business was importing Fantasy Warlord figures from England and distributing them in the US. When it became apparent that one shipment was all we were going to get (and because that was always a shoestring operation and I was young and didn't have much to spend money on), I took part of several paychecks in Fantasy Warlord miniatures. So I have like 6 cases of those figures even now.

As to painted? I'm much faster at buying minis than painting them, especially when they're a "Never to be repeated, going out of business, great deal!" ::D:

• Like 8

My work is about 13 miles away and takes about 20 minutes on the way there. Coming home is about 25-30. 

Amazing how little time time it takes to get anywhere nowadays. Before cars 13 miles was quite a distance.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My commute to work is somewhere around twelve or thirteen miles - I haven't actually measured it. It generally takes me about twenty minutes with traffic.

(As for rarest/oldest/valuable minis...

My oldest is probably an Archive basilisk, or some of the Heritage Dungeon Dwellers.

Rarest and most valuable, that's possibly an unanswerable question: I have acquired a number of complete old box sets from both Grenadier and Ral Partha over the years. Probably the hardest to complete so far has been the TSR 10-510 Dungeons & Dragons Basic Heroes Set. So far, what I have of TSR's 5307 GenCon RPGA box set has probably cost me the most.

As for rarest, this lady on the right...

comparison1.jpg.5b75a95130dc3bd79289414479a56617.jpg

...was something I picked up at the RenFaire a number of years ago from a lady who was selling painted minis, and as near as I can tell was something that a friend of hers who did his own casting had produced. So it's quite likely I have one of the only few still left.)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6

Oct 9. What is your favorite "junk food" movie?  (I.e. a movie you rather enjoy but isn't necessarily a "good" movie.) (Xiwo Xerase)

• Like 6