TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 10: I'm having a problem with or need information on ___________________. Fill in the blank with a subject/topic for which you would be the person I should come to for help.

Technical Drawings

AutoCAD (and other similar software)

Heraldry, Medieval

Blazon Language**

Heraldic Beasts/Monsters

Warships (tons of OOP sourcebooks)

Organic Gardening

**I can help if you stumble across odd words, in an odd order, that is supposed to describe an image, that sound half French, FREX:

Azure, a bend sinister Argent, overall a chess knight Sable.

Azure, a bend Sable, overall a chess knight Argent. “

I can translate those back into a visual. 

Edited by TGP
added the last one (Organic Gardening) since I am dispensing advice on it two posts down
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 10: I'm having a problem with or need information on ___________________. Fill in the blank with a subject/topic for which you would be the person I should come to for help.

I can't think of a circumstance where all the useless nonsense my head is filled with would actually help someone.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, jonaas33 said:

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Lawn care and mushrooms! Our front yard gets overgrown with mushrooms every summer and I have no idea how to stop them!  They're starting to spread into our backyard.  I don't think they're poisonous or anything, but they rot and mold and turn into a black goo after a week or so.  Googling has been unhelpful. 

Kuo, M. (2007, January). Key to major groups of mushrooms. Retrieved from the MushroomExpert.Com Web site: http://www.mushroomexpert.com/major_groups.html

https://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-design/landscaping-and-hardscaping/lawns/fungi-fix-what-do-do-about-lawn-mushrooms

TLDR ^ you have healthy soil under your grass; don’t fight them. 

One more:

https://www.dirtdoctor.com/garden/Mushrooms_vq317.htm

Edited by TGP
Shrooms good...
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Role playing games 

world building 

MTurking 

beginning running 

turning it off and turning it on again. 

hitting things with a hammer 

Transit Orientated Development 

Affordable housing (theory)  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Shiny rocks and minerals. 

Baking cookies. 

Baked goods that look like rocks. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

This depends on who answers.  My Ego would fill the blank with "anything".  My inferiority complex would answer "nothing".  My wife agrees with Ego.  My kids not so much.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

15 minutes ago, TGP said:

TLDR ^ you have healthy soil under your grass; don’t fight them

Lies! You have fairies. Put out milk and bread so they won't do you a mischief.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

3 minutes ago, redambrosia said:
19 minutes ago, TGP said:

TLDR ^ you have healthy soil under your grass; don’t fight them

Lies! You have fairies. Put out milk and bread so they won't do you a mischief.

DBcUtoo.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Um... a handful of specific data protocols? At one point in the past, I was probably one of the 100 best NFS experts in the world. Depending on how much help you need, I might be able to help out with a pretty wide range of data storage and management topics. I know more about how IBM mainframes work than the average bear too, although I'm now over 15 years out of date.

For things of broader interest, I'm not sure. I still remember a fair amount about the aquarium hobby, and tropical fish. I could probably point you to something handy there, even though I haven't been involved in a decade or so.

After that, I know a bunch about miniatures painting, collecting, and even manufacturing, but that's not likely to be something anybody here would need to ask me about. ::D:

Update: Ooo! I bake a pretty good fruit pie. I could help you out with pie crust and fillings, if you're not already good at that.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Troubleshooting.  Also, weird programming problems, but I repeat myself.

Troubleshooting is apparently a dark art.  I say "apparently" because I keep running into people who can't do it.  I'm not entirely sure why.  (And it could be that it's a legitimately hard problem and I don't see it as such because I have lots of practice.  This is the other side of the Dunning-Kruger effect.)

• Like 6

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Literary analysis of Shakespearean tragedies. Specifically, I can tell you all about... *puts on a Seinfeld impression* What's the DEAL, with ghosts and witches???

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Cattle birthing problems. With over 30 years of experience with our ranch and helping neighbours I've seen and helped with nearly everything possible. Other than than and livestock handling I'm a dabbler in everything. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, jonaas33 said:

Lawn care and mushrooms! Our front yard gets overgrown with mushrooms every summer and I have no idea how to stop them!  They're starting to spread into our backyard.  I don't think they're poisonous or anything, but they rot and mold and turn into a black goo after a week or so.  Googling has been unhelpful. 

...it wasn't me...unless the mushrooms have faces, try to chat you up, or grub a cig.

Actually from what I have gleaned in looking for cool mushrooms. The main part of mushrooms in an underground network that spreads out from the fruit bodies (the part above ground).

Roto-tilling the yard might do the trick, but I'd ask some one at a good garden store first.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Celianailo said:

Building computers, I repeat building not fixing! Also I like to build pretty expensive computers so...

Also @Glitterwolf I'm pretty sure that's a super power you've got there. So when are we going to see the thread of eating with Glitterwolf?

I do post recipes in the Good Eats Thread.

But here is one.

Chop up two cloves of fresh garlic

Chop up 4 or 5 sundried tomatoes.

250 grams of Bacon strips/cubes

500 grams of beans cut them in halves ( the long green ones, we call those Princessebonen) See Spoiler.

150 grams of unsalted cashewnuts.

Now heat some olive oil in a pan.

Add the garlic fry for a minute, add the Bacon.

stir fry till the Bacon is almost done.

Add the beans and the sundried tomatoes.

stir fry two more minutes.

Add the cashews and stir fry another minute.

Serve with some fries and a piece of meat/chicken of your choice.

Spoiler

image.png.8e8aa873c40c3520e359ee0a217943ca.png

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Bacon?

Of course...see the above :ph34r:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

TLDR ^ you have healthy soil under your grass; don’t fight them. 

Ugh, I suppose that's good news, at least.

2 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

beginning running

Get good shoes! Spend the money and take the time to find the right pair for you. Everyone has different running styles and different shoe brands offer different benefits. Go to a specialty shoe store and ask questions, the people working are typically knowledgeable and eager to help.  Start small/slow and build up, even if that means starting out with walking. The most important thing is to keep going with it, even when it gets hard.  Running for exercise/health isn't a race to be won, just something for your own enjoyment/betterment. 

• Like 6