TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 10: I'm having a problem with or need information on ___________________. Fill in the blank with a subject/topic for which you would be the person I should come to for help.

Pastries (just PLEASE DON'T ask me to make cinnamon rolls. I can't do them properly to save my life.)

How to properly cut and layer a cake

How to make an attractive plated dessert

How to throw things you have around the kitchen together to make it into something edible

And lots of other food related things

Can't think of anything non-food related currently.

• Like 6

Just now, SparrowMarie said:

Pastries (just PLEASE DON'T ask me to make cinnamon rolls. I can't do them properly to save my life.)

How to properly cut and layer a cake

How to make an attractive plated dessert

How to throw things you have around the kitchen together to make it into something edible

And lots of other food related things

Can't think of anything non-food related currently.

image.png.03a87a88824dfc8993dcefbde78f182e.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 10: I'm having a problem with or need information on ___________________. Fill in the blank with a subject/topic for which you would be the person I should come to for help.

So, the short answer is "many, many things". Not because I'm a subject matter expert on all of those things but because people pay me to write books tomorrow about things I don't know much about today. My reviews say I'm pretty good at that.

As to things I can answer random questions about (that I might know more about than most of the people here without research)?

• Product photography
  • The War of the Austrian Succession (and to a lesser extent the history of Saxony around the same time period)
  • WWII history
  • Writing a usable index of a technical book
  • Game design theory and practice
Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 11

WWII History, particularly small arms and aircraft. 

Guns and Ammunition Pre-2000.

Tolkien. 

I'm by no means an expert on these things, but I know a fair bit, and if I don't have the answer you need I know how to find it easily. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Making rum disappear::D:

-or-

The proper application of percussive maintenance used to make an electronic thing operate again

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Kuo, M. (2007, January). Key to major groups of mushrooms. Retrieved from the MushroomExpert.Com Web site: http://www.mushroomexpert.com/major_groups.html

https://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-design/landscaping-and-hardscaping/lawns/fungi-fix-what-do-do-about-lawn-mushrooms

TLDR ^ you have healthy soil under your grass; don’t fight them. 

in Soviet Russia the mushrooms fight you!post-12081-0-95623700-1444589383_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Evilhalfling said:

in Soviet Russia the mushrooms fight you!post-12081-0-95623700-1444589383_thumb.jpg

I don’t know if I have those but that suggests a color scheme. A color scheme nothing like the picture. 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Repeated readings of the works of Montague Summers, various translated witch hunter manuals, and unsettling ability to produce a somewhat plausible conspiracy theory at a moment's notice have prepared me for an exciting career as Witch Hunter General, should the office ever be revived. 

19 hours ago, jonaas33 said:

Lawn care and mushrooms! Our front yard gets overgrown with mushrooms every summer and I have no idea how to stop them!  They're starting to spread into our backyard.  I don't think they're poisonous or anything, but they rot and mold and turn into a black goo after a week or so.  Googling has been unhelpful. 

A mundane explaination for this would be that someone once used mulch that contained mushroom spores in the yard and that they have found good conditions there to spread and thrive. At least that's the tale I was told when similar mushroom invasions began in my own front yard. 

But this still leaves an unanswered question. What influenced the one who placed it to choose the spore mulch?

The answer is simple, the Fae were behind this. But to what purpose?

Attempting to determine the exact reasons behind the doings of the Fair Ones is an excellent way to lose sanity points most of the time, but in this case it's relatively straightforward. Omaha lies within Mothman's migration range and it and the Fae do not get along. How far back their antagonism goes I'm not quite sure, some link it to an offshoot of Seelie vs Unseelie, some further back to the Fomorians, and one of the squirrels I consulted believes it might be connected to the Fae-Gray Alien War that broke out in 1887. 

But as interesting of the roots of this may be, the fact is that your lawn has been designated by the Fair Ones as a kind of resupply dump/marshalling area. Attempting to destroy or remove the mushrooms is only going to lead to very bad things, as the Fae will want revenge and the locks and guards that prevent Mothman from despoiling your land and property will disappear. Not to mention the Fae are probably on good terms with the local witches, which means yet another faction who can make your life...interesting. 

So in short, don't kill the mushrooms. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 11: How much time each week do you devote to miniatures?

It all depends on how much free time I have and my mood.

Usually I tend to paint between 2 and 6 hours a week.

Although there are times when I don't paint at all being followed by a painting frenzy where I spend an entire weekend painting.

I have high hopes for my retirement in 6 years..

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

At home: About 30 hours per week.

At sea, about half that.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Not enough.::P:

Seriously, it's really not as much as i'd like; perhaps 10 hours.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

It really does depend, but I strive for at least 3.5 hours, with a preference for at least 7-10, but am especially happy when it's closer to the 14-16 hour mark. 

Some weeks it's more, other weeks it's less due to certain games (right now Dishonored is taking up a lot of my spare time) 

• Like 5