TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 1: What is your favorite soup? (or top 3 if you are a soupiphile like me and cannot choose)

(based on a question by Inarah)

Tomato, hands down.   Preferably paired with Grilled Cheese, on a cold day. 

• Like 4

Huh, it just dawned on me that I haven't tasted canned soup in over 10 years, maybe more.  I just don't go there.  I love making soup and crafting complex flavor profiles in them.  From Sept through March I make some sort of soup each week, maybe more than once. This week, I'll be making beef barley. 

• Like 9

Ham and Beans.

The War Eagle Mill makes a really good one and its historical too.

Edited by Flit
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 1: What is your favorite soup? (or top 3 if you are a soupiphile like me and cannot choose)

New England clam chowder.

Runners up include pho, tom yum soup, and hot and sour soup.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

New England clam chowder

Pumpkin bisque

Loaded baked potato

Tomato (with grilled cheese on the side)

Chicken noodle 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Huh, it just dawned on me that I haven't tasted canned soup in over 10 years, maybe more.  I just don't go there.  I love making soup and crafting complex flavor profiles in them.  From Sept through March I make some sort of soup each week, maybe more than once. This week, I'll be making beef barley. 

Yeah, IMO soup is easy (especially with recipes all over the internet) and cheap and there's no great need for canned soup.  I make exceptions when I'm too sick to stand.  

Oct-Dec I make large batches of soup, stew and chili.  We eat half and freeze half.  Come January I have a freezer full of ready to heat meals that last until it thaws. 

• Like 8

Heinz Mulligatawny, which is getting surprisingly difficult to find these days.

I'd learn to make the stuff if I wasn't the only one that eats it. 

• Like 6

It would be a tie between Pea and Ham or Cullen Skink*. Both home-made, of course.

*A chowder based on smoked haddock, for those outside the Blessed Land.

• Like 6

Chili, Hot and Sour, and Broccoli Cheddar.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I love making soup. It's always been a favorite meal, especially with some yummy bread. When I'm sick though... just give me something hot and soup like. Usually Campbell's chicken noodle. Making my own is too much work. 

It's a pity Hubby isn't nearly as much a fan of soup as I am.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

If I am buying it: Probably Ramen or Pho (depending on mood and location)

A lot of restaurant soups are too salty for my taste, but a well-made bowl of Ramen or Pho can be divine.

If I am making it: Ox Tail, or Split Pea

These are two wonderful comfort soups for winter. The latter is (for me) the best way to finish off a ham bone leftover from a holiday meal.

When I make Ox Tail soup, the line between soup and stew is pretty blurry, but I try to land on the soup side, assuming I have enough beef stock, etc. on hand.

• Like 7

Souptember is spilling into October? 

I am a soupiphile. 

Good old chicken noodle soup goes a long way to the top. Matzo ball (or as I make it, matzo blob) soup is like the magic Jewish version. Various permutations of chicken noodle are among my favorites. 

A minestrone with the types of veggies I like and cut the way I like is awesome, but there are a lot that are blah. 

Corn chowder. Om nom nom. Cream of chicken & wild rice. NOM NOM. But not clam. No. Ew. 

Hmm. I think my love of chicken noodle soup should just be extended to broth-based noodle or dumpling soups. Then it covers matzo balls and ramen and pho and udon soups. And wonton soup. Is this cheating? 

Caveat with pho: I've had too many times where I go get pho and end up with the worst stomach aches. As in... run to the toilet 15mins later and barely make it to the seat. I did not return to those places. I think they simmer their broth on too low of heat and end up with yuck in it. 

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Can I go to your place for dinner? I'll bring brownies. I eat a ton of canned or packed soup, even though it is easy to make. It is kinda difficult for me to pack into the fridge for later, and can be hazardous to transport. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, etherial said:

Top 5:

1. Lobster Bisque

2. Beef Stew

3. Chili

4. Tom Yum Soup

5. Italian Wedding

And Tom Yam soup is the special this week at Noodle Lab. Score!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Can I go to your place for dinner? I'll bring brownies. I eat a ton of canned or packed soup, even though it is easy to make. It is kinda difficult for me to pack into the fridge for later, and can be hazardous to transport. 

Sure!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Soup I Make. I make pretty good Hobo Stew, that thing where I clean out the fridge and/or freezer and throw Stuff into Pot.

As for actual soups with names, I make good Meat With Noodles soup. Meat being whatever I so choose. Often it's chicken, this weekend I have a day off and 2 pork shoulder bones in the freezer...

Unless it's menudo, then my favorite is soup Someone Else Made It.

• Like 7