TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

Cool storage racks!  Are those a Thing, or something you came up with? 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Inarah said:

It's a rather creative one, I agree!  Even better, @kristof65 did a thread on how they built it!  http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/81322-kristof65s-new-paintinggaming-area/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Thanks. @WhiteWulfe posted my WIP thread link already, so I won't repeat it. I should have my files and write up for building them posted to thingiverse in a couple weeks or so.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Whew, that ended up being even more labour intensive than I thought it was going to be. I decided since so many of my paints were outside of the racks anyway that I might as well reorganise how I keep them. So that involved pretty much taking everything down from the main racks and then putting everything back up and at about 90% done I realized that I’d outgrown my racks entirely between all of the paints I took home from Reapercon and a couple of purchases since. Soooooo I ended up having to put most of the washes away in a pistol case to free up enough space. The good news is, doing that freed up so much space that now I have more space to buy more paints! :bday:::P:

A7D9F410-0D48-4FE0-B6D9-91745D22FDF7.thumb.jpeg.072547d670c793ccac1df865d5ad9507.jpeg

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 7
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Guindyloo said:

So that involved pretty much taking everything down from the main racks and then putting everything back up and at about 90% done I realized that I’d outgrown my racks entirely between all of the paints I took home from Reapercon and a couple of purchases since.

This is a constant problem for me. Even trimming paint purchases back enormously in the past 3 years, and buying some extra paint racks to work with, I still find that I can't really fit things in where I need them.

Eventually, I'm just going to have to go ahead and demolish the building to build a proper hobby fortress.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Whew, that ended up being even more labour intensive than I thought it was going to be. I decided since so many of my paints were outside of the racks anyway that I might as well reorganise how I keep them. So that involved pretty much taking everything down from the main racks and then putting everything back up and at about 90% done I realized that I’d outgrown my racks entirely between all of the paints I took home from Reapercon and a couple of purchases since. Soooooo I ended up having to put most of the washes away in a pistol case to free up enough space. The good news is, doing that freed up so much space that now I have more space to buy more paints! :bday:::P:

A7D9F410-0D48-4FE0-B6D9-91745D22FDF7.thumb.jpeg.072547d670c793ccac1df865d5ad9507.jpeg

For a moment, I thought you were going to say that now you have more space for Ygritte to sleep on while you're not looking. ::P:

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

This is a constant problem for me. Even trimming paint purchases back enormously in the past 3 years, and buying some extra paint racks to work with, I still find that I can't really fit things in where I need them.

Eventually, I'm just going to have to go ahead and demolish the building to build a proper hobby fortress.

I haven’t tried to cut back my paint purchases at all, honestly. I like having a lot of different options and then I mix a lot on top of that. I’m always finding new favourites and figuring out different uses for different paints. My only limitation is the apartment. I have a one bedroom and my paint desk is in the middle of the living room because that’s the only space I have so I have to make it work. If I had a dedicated hobby room, I’d gladly just add some more racks. I wouldn’t mind being entombed by paint. ::P:

2 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

For a moment, I thought you were going to say that now you have more space for Ygritte to sleep on while you're not looking. ::P:

She does that while I’m looking. At least she doesn’t curl up right on top of the figure I’m painting. Yet. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Ok. I have before and after shots and even managed to squeeze in some time to get some of my finished minis dull coated, because weather and free time finally aligned. ::D:

Before

B4FC18AB-7089-46FA-9CB9-B602B5180878.thumb.jpeg.94171bc7b7927f69a3579527ab113aa9.jpeg

After

222D61FC-DF96-4DCA-8326-E7CFC879D475.thumb.jpeg.077dbe75c69afdd2da86199b3313b07b.jpeg

ok ok I know that’s a bit cheaty, so here are the shots with the doors opened.

E70AA0D8-4F5D-441D-A604-063A2C48C08B.thumb.jpeg.1800df436b840489cf9555733be63040.jpeg

93E67BD7-DC5A-482B-911A-FE3C0320814F.thumb.jpeg.a8112b43b5e27f9bce37a57639ff70a5.jpeg

Edited by Sibling
iPhone Automagical Incorrectness
  • Like 10
  • Haha 3

@kristof65

I think I have that same brand of wire racks. But mine are built into cubes. How’d?  Somehow yours are just the right depth to be paint racks...if there is a thread explaining how this was done, please provide a link??

• Like 4

I don't have a workplace, I have a dining room table (which we rarely dine on, unless we have guests), which is used as the D&D playtable and the miniature workplace.

Can't really take a picture right now, since it's just a table, for painting we will throw down a multiple socket thing, plug in as many desk lamps as there are people, throw down newspaper to cover the table and that's it.

When not busy painting, colors and such are stored in the sideboard in the same room. Sucks to have to clean up and put everything away everytime, but if I had a designated workplace I would probably NEVER clean it, so ...

• Like 6

Somewhat serendipitous that this was the weekends quest... Because it ended up being my weekend quest anyway, independent of the forums.

We moved into our house about 18 months ago, which means we're still not really moved in. In the old place (there are photos on the forum somewhere), we had enough space in the craft room to set up a large table where we could both sit and paint. Although we gained square footage in the move, we lost a bit for the craft area, and the painting space has looked like this:

IMG_20181013_192836083.thumb.jpg.c43397bb1c2eeee98e359f29ed50a557.jpg

Not very inspiring, and the table became more of a "flat surface for game related stuff" than a "place to relax and create." So this weekend we made a trip to IKEA.

IMG_20181014_164040658.thumb.jpg.54759f29d0a0b432ded344f467a401b1.jpg

There are now a bunch of rolly carts of shelves in a nearby closet, and we have a bunch of paint racks that ... someone... needs to build, but basically we've made this a multifunctional space. The table you can see against the wall rolls out into the room when it's time to paint, and goes away when it's not. There will be paint racks ( we bought in on the Impudent Mortal THEO Kickstarter) hanging above the table's parking space and the far wall of the alcove (sun comes in that window at an angle and doesn't hit that wall).

The cabinets along the long wall contain gaming consoles, and the photo is taken from a very comfy couch, so one of us can paint while the other plays games and we can still be in the same space. 

We can't currently paint simultaneously in this room, but we may wind up with another of those tables if we need to.

Oh, the table and cabinets are all Ikea's Fjallbo, if anyone likes it enough to want your own.

• Like 13

Main sculpting/painting station:

IMG_3763.JPG.be52f8df97c7593d5eaaf2e158a5f080.JPG

Side table for friends and kids and storage area:

IMG_3764.JPG.36f1049e918a3155eddfd45097de700c.JPG

Display case, my son's Raspberry Pi station, and the foundry (needs cleaning before next use):

IMG_3766.JPG.e23c9cc7ca6b0eb0608b8ecdc6137f96.JPG

Jewlery/metals bench:

IMG_3767.JPG.514e63dfa46508963b9ac3895ff3fa3c.JPG

Photo of main table after 2 hours of cleaning last night:

IMG_3772.JPG.4d24e68efe2c518a36d635a9218c3b8b.JPG

I'll post today's question in a few minutes after I get a bit more coffee in me.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Nunae said:

I don't have a workplace, I have a dining room table (which we rarely dine on, unless we have guests), which is used as the D&D playtable and the miniature workplace.

Can't really take a picture right now, since it's just a table, for painting we will throw down a multiple socket thing, plug in as many desk lamps as there are people, throw down newspaper to cover the table and that's it.

When not busy painting, colors and such are stored in the sideboard in the same room. Sucks to have to clean up and put everything away everytime, but if I had a designated workplace I would probably NEVER clean it, so ...

Same here!

The biggest downside from this I only set it up if I can paint for a longer time.

If I had a permanent spot, I might paint every day even if it was just a few minutes.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 7