TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 15: What aspect of the hobby do you like the most, i.e., the thing that lifts you up and keeps you going through the rough spots.

What do I like the most?  Creating something.  Sure, I'm not sculpting minis from putty but I'm still transforming the template of bare plastic or metal or resin into something new and unique.  And, sure, the result may not be great but I know I'm not a great painter and that's fine.

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 15: What aspect of the hobby do you like the most, i.e., the thing that lifts you up and keeps you going through the rough spots.

I'm going to kind of break this down into three parts.

What I like about the hobby the most is having a creative outlet. I am endlessly fascinated by the act of bringing these little figures to life with a little bit of paint. Having that outlet turned out to be really, really important for me.

What keeps me going through the rough spots the most is having people close to me that know exactly what I'm going through that I can bounce my thoughts off of and get advice from. I need a very specific sort of pep talk at times (that rarely includes any sort of traditional "pep") and I'm very lucky to have a couple of people in my life who are able to give me that sort of feedback.

What lifts me up the most is the giving nature of the professionals in this hobby. Sometimes that's giving advice, even just a brief suggestion, sometimes it's full on giving instruction and knowledge, sometimes it's taking the time to look at your work and leave a comment, or just a like, or their congratulations, or commiseration or to mutually enthuse over something or a certain sculptor coming up to show me the green he's finished. The gift of someone's time and consideration is very valuable and even the smallest gestures can be really meaningful and uplifting.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Mostly the dreaming. I like planning armies, scenarios and conversions. I don't spend much time of the fluff side of things anymore. I like finishing off things but because I tend to work pretty fast I usually get a, "well it's finished" feeling more than, "Wow! I'm really happy with that." Sharing does give me a bit of a morale boost. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I make a deliberate choice to take some time out and paint, so I enjoy the space/break it gives me, I like putting on a twitch stream or something and only worrying about what is right in front of me, for some reason that's painting mini's for me. What keeps me going when things get tough is, a lot of stuff from these forums, knowing someone else has been in exactly the same spot before, and knowing that things will get better.

• Like 6

I like it when a miniature or group of miniatures gets finished and used for play. My players or other players in other games I bring my miniatures to don't really know anything about the hobby, but they are always fascinated by the little figures. Sometimes they take pictures or interupt the game because they all have to take a closer look and won't let the miniature stand on the battle map.

It's also really nice to talk to my father about minis and have him look at stuff I painted whenever he is here. He doesn't get most of my hobbys, hasn't since I was a teenager (I'm too much of a nerd), but he paints Revell submarines and miniatures is something we can connect over.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

For me, it really is using the miniatures in a game. If I paint too much and start to burn out, it means I am not playing enough. Playing I start to think about how the game would be improved with some character figures or game tokens or terrain. And then that motivates me to paint.

buckyball

• Like 10

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

When you finally make it to the detail phase of painting, to be specific. In general, I like painting minis but dislike every other part of the hobby (prep/prime/basing/painting bases...even base-coating is suspect imo). I've mentioned before, basing is why I ended up trying to learn to paint in 2d :D 

• Like 8

I enjoy a lot of the starting and finishing of miniatures.

#1 I really enjoy adding free hand, weathering, basing and other details to an otherwise finished (or almost finished) miniature.

#2 I also enjoy construction and conversion. (I'll admit that Bones prep is a bit of an exception to this, as I find cleaning mold lines from Bonesium a bit of a pain, even with effective diamond files.)

The middle part of base coating, shading, highlighting, etc. (i.e. "painting") starts out fun, but often starts to feel tedious to me before I get to the end. (or before the quality is high enough for me to be happy with the results) This is *especially* true for competition pieces, which require a lot more of this work, but it applies at all levels.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 9

I really enjoy the thought experiment stage of planning. The idea of what this mini should be.

In actual execution, I love the "Zen trance" of the hobby. I hit it when assembling, sculpting or painting, but only if I have a block of time with nothing else going on. That moment where you put the brush (or xacto, or colour shaper) down and realize it's now dark outside and the last time you stood up was to eat lunch.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Guindyloo - Yes!! I love your three part answer for today.

Also. When you posted your cleaned up desk, I just shouted, "Mug! MUG. MUG." in quite an unintelligent fashion. I love that mug!!

On 10/12/2018 at 7:19 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 12, 13, 14: Weekend Quest

• What does your work station/studio look like? Take a picture this weekend and show us.
  • If it is messy, for extra credit, clean it up after taking the picture and take/post an after picture. :)

Augh!!!!!! Cleaning one thing is on my daily list anyways.... It might as well be a giant thing.

My art area is one wall of the living room. Just a few months ago, everything was just smushed onto my computer desk and closet. I'm grateful for the space!

The black boxes on the bookshelf are still organized, but the brown ones aren't. And I've got a pile of unpacked stuff under the desk and on the white shelf on the left....

The pegboards are also not actually on the bookshelf. It's nearly impossible to take anything off the pegs without taking the whole board with it. >_>

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/265667016927477770/501445627104985098/IMG_20181015_121648291.jpg

I still haven't even unpacked my friend board... :down:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/265667016927477770/501445689050529829/IMG_20181015_121611935.jpg

And my sculpting section is more like a game of "I Spy" than an actual work area, haha! I don't think I've sculpted since ReaperCon, though I've been slowly gathering up supplies.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/265667016927477770/501448423048871958/IMG_20181015_121353288.jpg

A pickle jar, really? What... where was I going with that? :lol:

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 8
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Finishing minis I guess? I thought a lot about it, and getting to work on whatever is next in queue is the best. The longer a thing takes, the more I look forward to the next thing.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

@Guindyloo - Yes!! I love your three part answer for today.

Also. When you posted your cleaned up desk, I just shouted, "Mug! MUG. MUG." in quite an unintelligent fashion. I love that mug!!

So funny thing...I assume you mean the octopus mug. When I bought that, I was at the mall with my work friends and one of them was looking for something for her little girl. I LOVE aquatic life and saw that mug and fell in love and was like "Is it a crime for me to get this even though I don't know what it's from?" My coworkers just looked at me. "He's from Finding Dory!" and I was like "Ok?" They couldn't believe I hadn't seen the movie. They did think that I would like the octopus though. So I bought it without having seen the movie or knowing the character name just because I liked it.

I have since seen Finding Dory and do like Hank quite a lot, so I think it evened out.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm not done cleaning yet..... :ph34r:

@NecroMancer - I was at Rainbow Sculptor's house last weekend and I asked about the art book - she said it was by Christopher Hart. Drawing Cutting Edge Comics. She mentioned his other books were hit or miss, but that particular book was a solid start for beginner artists looking for learning. I'm not sure of her age, but it's focused on Western animation, so the proportions for men and women uhhhh, strongly reflect that. :lol:

I love the people - I love their creative energy, the feeling of belonging, the absolute openness of knowledge and sharing.

I also love that I found my creative outlet through minis. I loved drawing but taking some putty and creating something that didn't exist before - something that I can touch, I'm a very tactile person at heart - is the best feeling in the world for me. There's nothing like it. Realizing that there was a way to just create was just mind-blowing for me. ^_^

9 minutes ago, Sanael said:

I really enjoy the thought experiment stage of planning. The idea of what this mini should be.

In actual execution, I love the "Zen trance" of the hobby. I hit it when assembling, sculpting or painting, but only if I have a block of time with nothing else going on. That moment where you put the brush (or xacto, or colour shaper) down and realize it's now dark outside and the last time you stood up was to eat lunch.

Yes!! That is such a good description!! :wub:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm just enamored of the sculpts themselves. Each one is a little piece of art. I love coming across something original (ie, not another dwarven fighter or elf ranger) that one of the sculptors has thought of.  There are some that are quite good at doing their own thing (though I understand that contract sculpting pays the bills) and I have a number of figures that I just love for the sculpt and will probably never spoil with paint. 

• Like 12