TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Oddly, I'm very good at looking at something, like a stereo cabinet or a table, or the distance between your mounted knights and my goblins and being able to give you exact measurements and dimensions without a ruler.

I have a game for you. Sadly, it's out of print and the company appears to be long gone, but it's Pirates! by 7th Street Games, and was a 28mm pirate game using resin ships. We used to play big multi player games of it in the 90s. 

In the game, you make your cannon shots from your ship to other ships by placing a marker on the ship/location you want to hit, then calling your distance out.  You then measure the distance, move the marker to the actual distance you called, and make a scatter roll from there. 

I'm really good at estimating distances, too. Anything under 10ft, I can usually get within an inch. The rest of the group would gang up on me because usually the only reason I ever missed was if the scatter roll went poorly for me.  Sounds like you would be good at it, too. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I have a game for you. Sadly, it's out of print and the company appears to be long gone, but it's Pirates! by 7th Street Games, and was a 28mm pirate game using resin ships. We used to play big multi player games of it in the 90s. 

In the game, you make your cannon shots from your ship to other ships by placing a marker on the ship/location you want to hit, then calling your distance out.  You then measure the distance, move the marker to the actual distance you called, and make a scatter roll from there. 

I'm really good at estimating distances, too. Anything under 10ft, I can usually get within an inch. The rest of the group would gang up on me because usually the only reason I ever missed was if the scatter roll went poorly for me.  Sounds like you would be good at it, too. 

Sounds like it was based on the Fletcher Pratt Naval War Game, which was published before WWII and designed for WWI-WWII era surface battles. With math-y people, you have to pay attention to whether the floor is tiled with standard tiles, because a bit of Pythagoras will get you to within a very small error band then. But it is a fun game.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

This is a really, really good point.

Earlier I wanted to point out that a lot of people react strongly with "I can't do math", when asked directly, but actually have much better mathematical thinking skills than they realize, because a lot of us are taught "math = calculations in my head", which is not what you'd hear from a mathematician. (See reference to papa Klarg earlier.)

That is not the same as saying that everybody is good at math, or that everybody functions that way. People can, and do, struggle with these things; brains don't all work the same. I don't want to put down people who's mental strengths lie elsewhere.

Arguably, musicians and quilters have mathematical thinking. Musicians have the pattern recognition and creation via sound, and quilters do some ridiculously amazing geometry. My grandmother isn't a "math" person, but she could design an intricate quilt and get all the angles right just on intuition. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 16: Do you use algebra or other advanced mathematics in your life and, if so, what for?

I have used it in a Pathfinder game. Dragon flew full speed into a Wall of Force. I needed to find out how many dice of damage that sudden stop was worth. With physics. It was 12d6.

I have used it at work when some elfhole doesn't include all the stuff I need to work their case and I have to use algebra to divine what they thought they were doing. And since they're wrong I still need to go out for the missing forms.

I have a degree in math so I tend to see using it as just... what I do.

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

This made me think of one of the last Warhammer games I played many years ago. I'm pretty good at guessing ranges too but this time I misjudged my opponent's movement by about an inch. I was trying to get the charge on the next turn but moved that little bit too far. So his army got the charge bonuses and with luck rolls wiped me off the table in one turn. All part of the game but it was of the things that made me start searching for different rules after years of being a GW fanboy. I was annoyed that it happened to me and realised I wouldn't have be much happier if I'd done it to my opponent which was the plan.

• Like 6

On 10/11/2018 at 7:36 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 11: How much time each week do you devote to miniatures?

It varies significantly depending on the week.  Sometimes none, sometimes 20+ hours.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:19 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 12, 13, 14: Weekend Quest

• What does your work station/studio look like? Take a picture this weekend and show us.
  • If it is messy, for extra credit, clean it up after taking the picture and take/post an after picture. :)

It's the kitchen table so...

On 10/15/2018 at 7:17 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 15: What aspect of the hobby do you like the most, i.e., the thing that lifts you up and keeps you going through the rough spots.

Completed minis!  As for rough spots, it's a hobby not a job.  If I don't feel like painting I'll go do something else and paint later.

Oct 16: Do you use algebra or other advanced mathematics in your life and, if so, what for?

I do basic math every day but I haven't used advanced mathematics in the real world.  Calc, physics, p-chem... not really used since college.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Zink said:

This made me think of one of the last Warhammer games I played many years ago. I'm pretty good at guessing ranges too but this time I misjudged my opponent's movement by about an inch. I was trying to get the charge on the next turn but moved that little bit too far. So his army got the charge bonuses and with luck rolls wiped me off the table in one turn. All part of the game but it was of the things that made me start searching for different rules after years of being a GW fanboy. I was annoyed that it happened to me and realised I wouldn't have be much happier if I'd done it to my opponent which was the plan.

I think it's the "I Go, You Go" turn rotation of GW games that makes it so bad there.  I much prefer systems that can more easily accommodate multiple sides and have things like variable initiatives and some sort of reaction mechanic. In Pirates!, it was only a function of cannon and catapult shots - they'd maneuver in close to me and start shooting muskets, and all that range guessing advantage I had went away.

• Like 5

Of course; everybody does a differential calculation every time they cross the road.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I think it's the "I Go, You Go" turn rotation of GW games that makes it so bad there.  I much prefer systems that can more easily accommodate multiple sides and have things like variable initiatives and some sort of reaction mechanic. In Pirates!, it was only a function of cannon and catapult shots - they'd maneuver in close to me and start shooting muskets, and all that range guessing advantage I had went away.

Yeah rules I settled on are still "I go, you go" for a large part but both sides attack and defend simultaneously unless there are special rules on some of the minis. So you don't get things like, "it's my shot. Half your army is dead. Your turn." Instead you get, "We shoot each other. Both armies are half dead." ::P:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I love math! I'd agree with the folks here talking about change, tax, and whatnot. It was one of my favorite subjects and I took classes a few levels above my grade.

I once bought the Algebra and Calculus books for Dummies (those big yellow books) because I was bored and wanted something to do. I don't know what I was thinking haha! In school I used to rewrite all my math notes and homework when I was done because everything was neat and organized and it all just made sense.

My brain is much slower now, since the forgetfulness of the last couple years. My vocabulary is down, my math speed is down, my connections of faces to people, it's all just .... augh. :< 

4 hours ago, CashWiley said:

My current workspace usually centers on my drafting desk or easel. My hobby desk is out of frame to the left in the first pic. Not by much, it's a tiny space!

I love your space!

.... I can't believe I still haven't unpacked my hobby lights!!! I don't even know where they are. :down: 

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

16 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

I love your space!

.... I can't believe I still haven't unpacked my hobby lights!!! I don't even know where they are. :down: 

Thanks, Mori! Your art is off to the left of the hobby desk, out of frame (along with one of Jess's prints). I've got to frame them soon and get them up on the wall, proper!

Go get out those lights and be awesome! BASK IN IT! :D

Anyway, the Internet is deceiving, as you know. I'd a really terrible room, gross carpet (I use throw rugs so my feet don't get mildewy) and an acoustic tile drop ceiling that's caving in from lack of support. That's why I was going to remodel it over the summer before I spent that money going to the ARA (worth it, heh). I'm trying to make it a more creative space but the floor and ceiling, plus the tight space, makes it tough.

And if I want to work on different stuff, I need to move everything around first. Just for my graphite, charcoal and oils I have around five or six configurations depending on reference/subject (still life, video, books, flats, etc). Sucks some motivation out when I have to spend time rearranging everything, putting away the previous stuff and getting out the relevant stuff, just to switch to a different project. It does tend to keep me focused on one project, I guess. Until I stall like I have with my charcoal selfie....

But I love it in spite of all that. Nothing in the world is perfect, and the ability to have the space and time to create is a massive blessing in our lives.

• Like 9

Oh! 

Does trading services count as "every day life?" 

In that case, I traded calculus lessons for foot massages during undergrad. My feet felt great ::D: I definitely think I got the better end of that deal. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Yeah, my group stopped wanting to play WFB because of my uncannily accurate goblin rock lobber. ::D: 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Lots of work stuff, which is kind of boring and I don't really want to go into detail. But the strangest time I used it (at least to me) was quite some time ago when I was still living at home and my dad asked me to calculate the angle and distance for a roofing truss given the measurements and angles that he did know (he was renovating our house). It was an almost textbook type of question, and I may still have been in high school at the time.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Then again, counting change seems to be a disappearing skill these days.

Blah, most people won't hold still long enough for me to count their change back for them. They just want to take it and go. Like, I could have short changed you and you'll be halfway to Seattle before you realize :rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1