TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

28 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 19-21: Weekend Quest (brought to you by TGP)

Which fictional Earth would you most want to live on?

The rules:

1. Whatever day and year it is in the real world. That's the date in the fictional world.
  2. It has to be Earth-like. You cannot go to Westeros. 
  3. You are the same person. You have the same job. You have the same post count on the forums. You have the option to move to a very similar place to where you live. You can move from a big American city to a fictional city based on an supposedly archetypal American city.
  4. You don't get super powers. If you are in the Harry Potter universe you are a Muggle. If you are in the Marvel universe you don't get to be a mutant or Inhuman.

Looking at the four restrictions...other than the super powers; re, I hate super powers; they give you the opportunity to be a bully  picking on the weaker kids & being called a hero for it...it doesn't seem like the move would do much except change the view. I like the view here. SO I will opt out of the fictional World move.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

The rules:

1. Whatever day and year it is in the real world. That's the date in the fictional world.
  3. You are the same person. You have the same job. You have the same post count on the forums. You have the option to move to a very similar place to where you live. You can move from a big American city to a fictional city based on an supposedly archetypal American city.
  4. You don't get super powers. If you are in the Harry Potter universe you are a Muggle. If you are in the Marvel universe you don't get to be a mutant or Inhuman.

Eh, with those restrictions I'll just stay where I'm at.  Fictional earths tend to be fun because you're where the action is in the story.  Away from that the average person is assumed to be living average lives, and it's just not worth the move.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

The rules:

I'd probably pick the world from the Dresden Files. It would certainly be interesting if nothing else, even if projected life expectancy would be somewhat lowered. In your restrictions you mention nothing about already existing powers, so I'm assuming my ability to summon rain via weed cutting will not only stick around, but perhaps be even more effective. Also factoring in the Blessings of Agamenthar the Coffee God and the Great Pumpkin in a world where odd Gods tend to walk among us...I might have a better chance there than here of achieving my dream of being a cult leader. 

Sign me up.

Edited by Lord of the Dish Pit
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

The rules:

I particularly don't understand the day/year restriction, particularly coupled with the Earth restriction, as that rules out any worlds that presume to exist in Earth's past or future.  You can't go to the Hyborean Age, or Middle Earth, Panem, or the Earth of Warhammer 40K because of that.  Or, you could, but I don't think those worlds are supposed to be a whole lot different from ours in their 2018.

All that being said, I guess I'd want to live on the Earth of Childhood's End.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

The rules:

within those restrictions there is no answer I can give that does not move the post directly to beekeepers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The rules:

Earth C-137

• Like 3

The rules:

I'm so confused. Is this just the most roundabout way of asking what city I want to move to?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

The rules:

The earth in Arthur C Clarke's "The Fountains of Paradise". (And thanks to VitM for putting this into my mind.)

• Like 2

That would be the 2018 of my childhood.  Where there are no wars, no diseases, and no starvation. Cars can fly, we have a colony on the moon,  and ice cream is always free. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

The rules:

HAH! Joke's on you, I already broke this one! I moved to the great Canadias, hahahaaaaaa!! 

Okay but uhh... different Earth? 

I'm going to go with the Earth that Charles de Lint writes about. People exist as they do here, but there is magic seeped into everything even if we don't see it. The world can be more hopeful and optimistic with the magic and creatures (fairies etc) that are there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

The rules:

A world where people believe in basic science.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NebulousMissy said:

A world where people believe in basic science.

^^ also this. But uhh... it hits a bit too close to home thinking like that :down:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

The rules:

I'm pretty okay with living where I am, right now.

I would maybe visit the world of Blade Runner, but I wouldn't want to live there. Just want to look at some brutalist architecture and eat noodles in the rain, maybe go for a ride in a flying car? Also, wouldn't have to worry about rogue replicants coming back to earth and running through the streets killing people until 2019, so we're good!

• Like 5

Hmm. With all the restrictions, I dunno. If I'm a muggle in the HP world, that's not much different than my life now. If I'm not a super in DC's Metropolis, I'm just an office drone waiting for Darkseid to get thrown through my building.

With a slight time frame shift, I could see going to one of Heinlein's or Asimov's worlds, but in my same occupation? No thanks. 

I guess the best I could really do is to move into the Star Trek continuity. We're still about 50 years out from Cochrane's warp drive, but at least it's on its way.

Of course, the Eugenics wars haven't ended, and WWIII is right around the corner, so that's no good, either.

So, every option is either no different or worse? Guess I'll stay here.

Edit because my phone posted before I was done.

Edited by Sanael
  • Like 5

On 10/16/2018 at 7:58 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 16: Do you use algebra or other advanced mathematics in your life and, if so, what for?

I'm a mathematician. I use calculus to calculate probabilities of dice in complex games.

On 10/17/2018 at 8:20 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 17:  What parts of these forums do you check/read/contribute to daily?

OTR and Kickstarter. I'm on Beekeepers, but things have been pretty quiet there since [redacted].

• Like 3