TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

14 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 22: What is the most difficult encounter you have ever faced in a game?

Hmmm, tough call, but I'll go with the "Frogger" section that was in Naxxramus in WoW.  Not even a boss fight, but you'd be amazed how many people die to those slime every run... I never died to it, but yeah, I've seen hundreds get insta-killed by it. 

Not tough enough?  Fine.  Lich King in Icecrown Citadel, with Jeeves still out, because he'd have a bad habit of targeting Jeeves with Defile, which then becomes an instant wipe for the party due to how that mechanic works (Defile pool grows every half second someone is in it, and it does percentile damage while you're in it too).  They fixed that bug several weeks later... (NPC summons aren't supposed to be targeted by Arthas). 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

• Board Game - My Girlfriend, she always wins..
  • PC-Game - Diablo, I managed to almost die and instead of drinking a potion I hit SAVE...so I ended up trying over and over again to be just in time to finally drink that potion and beat him.
  • Wargames /RPG's only played that a handful of times, not really much challenge then.
  • Like 6

On 10/19/2018 at 9:47 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 19-21: Weekend Quest (brought to you by TGP)

Which fictional Earth would you most want to live on?

The rules:

1. Whatever day and year it is in the real world. That's the date in the fictional world.
  2. It has to be Earth-like. You cannot go to Westeros. 
  3. You are the same person. You have the same job. You have the same post count on the forums. You have the option to move to a very similar place to where you live. You can move from a big American city to a fictional city based on an supposedly archetypal American city.
  4. You don't get super powers. If you are in the Harry Potter universe you are a Muggle. If you are in the Marvel universe you don't get to be a mutant or Inhuman.

Ive been thinking about this one. At first, I thought the restrictions would make it too hard, but the more I think on it, the more I think this:

I would pick a science fiction universe. Even if I am still me, living my current life, I would like to know that I live in a world where faster than light travel, miracle medicine, and other wonders are *possible*.

picking a golden age of Science Fiction worlds from the 50’s or 60’s might even get me some of those miracles in the here and now of the 21st century.

I’d want to research which worlds are written as relatively peaceful and prosperous in the time span of my lifetime, but something like Niven’s “Known Space” might work out well.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

The Asylum Guard in the old, Old, Old, PC game Asylum

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

ornstein and smough.

I had built a slow heavy hit once to kill things fighter. onstein is fast and I couldn't land hits, smough is an even bigger hit once to kill things fighter, who can also leap around like king kong...

they were not nearly as bad when I played a wizard the 2n'd time through

• Like 4

My intro to Vampire the Masquerade was pretty tough. I was turned as part of a Sabbat game, and a small group of high levels vampires was chasing me for sport. Other than that, GMs have been pretty good to me.

For video games both Prince of Persia 3 (I think, which ever one started you on a ship) and Dark Souls own the distinction of both being games I was unable to advance past the first 5 minutes of gameplay for. I really, really wanted to like both, specifically because I heard they were tough and I generally think games that coddle you too much aren't enjoyable, but these were something entirely different and just flat out not enjoyable. 

Board games are pretty much any traditional Euro where my buddy is sitting on the side of me that will have the most effect on me. He's just really good at figuring out my strategies and disrupting them.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Slightly? :rock:

That was the term used the last time the subject came up, but my coworkers at the time had known me long enough to get somewhat desensitized to it. Also the actions and policies of management were doing much to give the impression I was much saner than they were. ::D:

During a live action Vampire the Masquerade game I found myself assaulting a Justicar who had just tracked filth over my nice clean floor. 

I found myself quickly airborne via the kitchen window and the difficulty was in determining just how far into the bean field I eventually landed. The player of the Justicar was a bit of a sadist so I wound up walking about 1/4 of a mile into it before being allowed to stop, and I consider it a bit of a miracle I didn't twist my ankle navigating said field in the dead of night slightly inebriated.

Needless to say my character did not survive this encounter, but did come back as a wraith for further shananigans. (I later learned that the Justicar and other experienced players had toned their characters down significantly, otherwise I'd have had to trudge out another mile or so and wind up on the local emu farm.)

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

40+ years of RPGs and 30+ years of CRPGs make that essentially impossible to determine, so here's the one that came to mind:

Champions game, our group of tawdry juvenile intrepid heroes is called to a bank robbery. The villain's main power is strength transfer. So as time goes on, he gets stronger and stronger as we get weaker and weaker. Nasty.

But, Champs being Champs and me being me, I just had to build a character (on a reasonable points budget) that would be way, way, worse. What I came up with was a character who used Speed (number of actions per turn) and Dexterity (sort of basic AC and BAB, if you're a Pathfinder player) transfer, built as an area attack. The concept is to start by buying a ticket to a concert or sporting event, then terrorize the entire city because you're moving orders of magnitude faster than anyone else possibly can. (There are some details to how to accomplish the build that are probably beyond this thread.)

NB: I never ran the character, either as a PC or NPC. He was just an exercise in rules manipulation.

If you're GMing Champions, you had better have a firm grasp on how the rules work, because exploits are manifold and varied. If you have that grasp, I think it's the best system out there, but it's tricky to run well. And it requires players who can self-moderate, at least somewhat.

• Like 6

The Bride, after double-crossing and invading her during a long session of "Diplomacy".

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

In my game groups, we focus on complex characters and story driven games. As such, character death is rare, TPK's more so. Running through a pathfinder game, we stumbled onto some cultists who were trying to summon a thing. The cultists were not part of our objective and were just kind of annoying. So, we did not try exceptionally hard to stop them. The entire party died or ran away when they actually managed to summon an elder god. That was the hardest encounter, but is closely followed by the zombie apocalypse we played through in a supers game. The zombies were fast and super infectious and half the party died. It was awesomely fun, though, as I got to mount a helicopter propeller on a truck chassis and plow through a street full of zombies. 

• Like 6

I played D&D/AD&D for nearly twenty years. It seemed exciting at the time. It has been more than twenty years since my last game, AND,

for the life of me, I can't remember any really challenging encounters. Maybe it wasn't as exciting as I thought...or I've really lost my memory.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2018 at 1:27 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 18:  The world is too negative lately; post something positive to make us smile today.

Only click on this link if you want to see the touching story of Grandpa Mason, an old ex-feral cat who was rescued and now spends his days cuddling with kittens ::D: You can mute the music if you want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4u91JlJFwQ

On 10/19/2018 at 6:36 PM, Glitterwolf said:

IMG-20180917-WA0064.thumb.jpg.a401e035e4c98e12ba409fc32c912cc8.jpg

So basically all is the same except the Earth itself?

Let me live on an Earth where there is no Mass-Extinction, no Climate Change, No Extremism ( left, right, religous), no hunger, no poverty and no war.

On 10/20/2018 at 5:18 PM, TGP said:

Hows about a fictional Earth where dogs live twice as long and they can talk* a little? But they still like people.  

(*Like Astro, only not always so goofy.)

I'll take a combination of these two worlds, thanks ::D:

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Probably ever time I sit down at the DMs seat, I'm always worrying about keeping the encounters challenging enough without being too nasty. I really don't like squishing PCs for no good reason ::(:

Edited by Kuroneko
I forgot to post the link to Grandpa Mason
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

As far as tabletop RPGs go, I've done pretty good. My Eladrin Eldritch Knight (my forum namesake) has developed quite a reputation for slaying manticores and demons. #HumbleBrag ::P:

When it comes to PC and Console gaming, some of my most memorable challenges were playing games like Diablo II, with armies of damage resistant enemies. If you weren't careful, one could easily be overwhelmed.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Hmmm, tough call, but I'll go with the "Frogger" section that was in Naxxramus in WoW.  Not even a boss fight, but you'd be amazed how many people die to those slime every run... I never died to it, but yeah, I've seen hundreds get insta-killed by it. 

Not tough enough?  Fine.  Lich King in Icecrown Citadel, with Jeeves still out, because he'd have a bad habit of targeting Jeeves with Defile, which then becomes an instant wipe for the party due to how that mechanic works (Defile pool grows every half second someone is in it, and it does percentile damage while you're in it too).  They fixed that bug several weeks later... (NPC summons aren't supposed to be targeted by Arthas). 

Hahahaha Frogger in Naxx. Good times. Bad idea getting me started on tough WoW encounters. We found a bunch of them (or created our own). Try being a newly level 70 warrior tank, still wearing greens, and being told to tank Heroic Botanica (guild main tank wanted to play their alternate rogue, and I just hit max level on my alt warrior). Yeah... I did that. Also solo warrior tanked the Dragonhawk boss in ZA (once said warrior geared up). Warriors were single mob tanks; that boss typically had 3 AoE tanks... yep, I got the whole thing. Also did a lot of multi-mob CC as a hunter. Ooh and kited giants across the continent to get them stuck in a tavern! <stops talking about WoW because it will go on too long> 

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

The dragon on the newbie island in Might & Magic VII. It was almost there as a joke - you're supposed to enter the dragon cave briefly and then run away for the mission. You don't actually have to defeat the red dragon as a newb to progress in the game. I spent the hours upon hours saving and reloading to be able to beat that darned dragon. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Hahahaha Frogger in Naxx. Good times. Bad idea getting me started on tough WoW encounters. We found a bunch of them (or created our own). Try being a newly level 70 warrior tank, still wearing greens, and being told to tank Heroic Botanica (guild main tank wanted to play their alternate rogue, and I just hit max level on my alt warrior). Yeah... I did that. Also solo warrior tanked the Dragonhawk boss in ZA (once said warrior geared up). Warriors were single mob tanks; that boss typically had 3 AoE tanks... yep, I got the whole thing. Also did a lot of multi-mob CC as a hunter. Ooh and kited giants across the continent to get them stuck in a tavern! <stops talking about WoW because it will go on too long> 

No idea what you mean about going on and on...  I was a warrior tank myself...  Up until 3.2 ruined a lot of that fun anyways, especially for warrior tanks.

My favourite in game quotes from a boss... "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!" and "I thiiiink I broooooke iiiiiit" from XT-002.  off-tanking that one was fun.

Sarth 3D was also fun, but man was that chaotic back in Wrath days.

I don't play the game anymore though, because the draw just hasn't been there.

• Like 3