TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 25: How plan/schedule oriented are you?

I am not sure if I ever had a plan. Things happened in a random fashion in my life.

Day dreams seem to be my form of planning. Odds are they won't come true, but they are pleasant to think about.

• Like 7

I'm a planner.  I am not comfortable without some sort of a plan, for pretty much EVERYTHING. To illustrate this best, my wife once complained that we didn't have enough spontaneity on our vacations so I started planning in time for spontaneity.

What happens when plans fail?  Well that is why you have back up and contingency plans.  Each plan has its set of contingency plans which in turn each have their's and so on...  It is a very rare occurrence when I am caught totally off guard by life circumstances; when I am, I tend to be a confused and then rather grumpy as I have to reformulate everything.

As I have gotten older, I have gotten better at hiding these plans, making on the fly adjustments and contingencies and such so that many people around me don't even realize that I am running on plan.  My wife notices though and often tries to throw monkey wrenches in the plans, just for fun.  <_<

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

A what now? :blink:

But really I'm working on at least getting more organized at both of those things.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I tend to be more of a sketch-a-general-outline-and-wing-the-details type person most of the time.  I like having a plan for things, but I abhor being obligated to adhere to it.

• Like 7

I like having a plan, even if it is "stay home and do nothing today".  Usually there are a number of items on it on a daily basis, with no strict schedule, and I roll with the interruptions and last minute changes.  For things like vacation and Reapercon I have more rigid plans. Obviously, if the plane departs at 8am and you're late and miss it, you can't just "wing it".  If I'm spending that kind of money to visit London then I don't want to be randomly walking around wondering what there is to see, the itinerary is heavily planned.  And Thanksgiving Day is an elfing orchestra with weeks of planning, down to the minute timing, and pre-assigned serving dishes.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Dang it. I forgot to work "perpetually tired" into my sentence... :lol:

This is so much me too but I didn't have enough time and energy to type it yesterday.

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I likes plans but things for me are a lot like Pezler wrote. I rarely set absolute deadlines and schedules because the gods, weather and Murphy all conspire against me. Every day I have a list of priorities, sometimes written down, sometimes just in my head. I try to work from highest to lowest but things go wrong and it often ends up being just trying to get anything done. My wife likes to do things whenever the mood takes her. It took me many years to explain to her that I have livestock and they need to be fed and watered first. I don't mind taking off for a few days now and then but I need a couple days to prepare to be gone.

• Like 5

I have a love/hate relationship with planning and schedules. 

I love having plans/schedules and making them.  But I hate it far more when plans & schedules get interrupted by real life and go awry.  My compromise for dealing with this is to merely make general plans, and then adjust on the fly. 

My wife and I have a running joke - for trips - especially road trips - I'll have schedules and maps printed out with departure times/suggested stops/etc via tools like Google Maps, TripIt, etc.  Before our trips these are to set everyone's expectations on at least the same general chapter, if not the same page.   But once the trips start, these plans are rarely referenced, unless it's as a joke because we're "behind schedule". 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I have a terrible, terrible time at emulating spontaneity.

I... try to schedule being spontaneous. :unsure:

*EDIT* Which probably explains why I so very much like the format used in The Razor Coast campaign... it has a method for scheduling and organizing spontaneity. a juxtaposition of Law and Chaos, in harmony.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I like having a plan, even if it is "stay home and do nothing today".  Usually there are a number of items on it on a daily basis, with no strict schedule, and I roll with the interruptions and last minute changes.  For things like vacation and Reapercon I have more rigid plans. Obviously, if the plane departs at 8am and you're late and miss it, you can't just "wing it".  If I'm spending that kind of money to visit London then I don't want to be randomly walking around wondering what there is to see, the itinerary is heavily planned.  And Thanksgiving Day is an elfing orchestra with weeks of planning, down to the minute timing, and pre-assigned serving dishes.

You actually can "wing it" in the case of a missed flight, you just might not appreciate the attendant costs.  I understand where you're coming from re: hypothetical London trip; and I will look around ahead to time to find something to do in such a situation too.  I just hate the "Okay, I know we're all having lots of fun here now, but we have to leave and go to this other place because it's on the itinerary."  If we're having too much fun at the Trampoline adventure and we decide not to bother visiting the Largest Stack of Pancakes museum or whatever, I need us to be able to blow that off. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I have a terrible, terrible time at emulating spontaneity.

I... try to schedule being spontaneous. :unsure:

*EDIT* Which probably explains why I so very much like the format used in The Razor Coast campaign... it has a method for scheduling and organizing spontaneity. a juxtaposition of Law and Chaos, in harmony.

The Auld Grump

THIS, so much this!

• Like 7

On 10/23/2018 at 8:26 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 23: What kind of electronics do you use daily?

I work for a company that makes AI, so I'm just gonna go with "a lot". My phone is a Google Pixel 2 and my mobile lab is a 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid.

On 10/24/2018 at 8:10 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 24: How would you describe yourself in one sentence?

A lovable elfhole.

Once a quarter, I schedule a weekend of "absolutely nothing" to decompress.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I like to plan.  I like to make plans.  I also plan loosely since I can deviate from them.  For example, I made a plan for exercises to improve miniature painting (which I've deviated from).

However, I also get cross when something unforeseen invalidates my plans (usually because of people).

Work, however, has trained me out of having predictable days (which is good and bad) so I tend to be much more interrupt-driven and deadline-driven than plan-driven.  (Well, to be fair, I've always been a little deadline-driven, especially when putting off things that simply aren't interesting.  Like homework.  When/if I go back to finish my degree, I should try doing homework assignments as soon as they're assigned and then doing whatever interesting thing I want to do.)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Life always goes better when I have a plan. I'm an improviser, but I like to have a solid plan (or three) in place for just about everything I do. 

Schedules, not so much. I always sketch out schedules but I'm usually too in-the-moment for them to stick long. And I am naturally resistant to restrictive scheduling, which goes back to my being an improviser.

• Like 3