TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

44 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 26-28 Weekend Quest

When was the last time you met someone new?  Did you like them, why or why not?
Introduce yourself/talk to someone you don't know this weekend and tell us about it?

I mean, I meet new people everyday. It's my job. I don't usually enjoy it. 

Though, the other night I did have a nice conversation with this kid (his name is Will, so he gets fired upon) who is going to my college. We talked about all sorts of things, and he was actually really curious about what it's like to be pregnant (lol). 

I'm gonna count that conversation as the second part of the question, because I have no intention of leaving my house this weekend :lol: 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

51 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 26-28 Weekend Quest

Introduce yourself/talk to someone you don't know this weekend and tell us about it?

Monday night at karaoke, I think.  I liked them well enough; they were genial and did an awesome job performing War.

I have a big Halloween party to go to this Saturday, so I am certain to meet new people.  I may not remember much of the encounter though, so, fingers crossed.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 26-28 Weekend Quest

Exactly when, I have no idea other than a few days/week ago. I don't often get a chance to chat. SO I chat up everyone I run into...I am one of those friendly Old Men.

I'm not going out this weekend. It will have to wait.

• Like 8

Oct 26-28 Weekend Quest

Since deciding to dive in to build a new company, meeting new people, and giving them a quick summary of my background has become a major portion of my job. The most recent person was somebody who works for a different company in the same shared office space that we use. I am a little ashamed to say that I don't remember his name off-hand, but I am sure we'll chat again at some point. I can't say that I had a strong reaction on the like/dislike front. I tend to fall on the side of 'like' until proven otherwise. I also meet with potential investors, customers, and employees reasonably often in the course of doing business. It's honestly kind of exhausting, but probably healthy in the long run.

The last time I actively set out to pursue these goals was a couple of weeks ago, when I forced myself to sign up for a couple of technical meet-ups to try to meet other people in the area who might fall into the 'customer', or 'employee' categories. I am not a skilled networker, but I really need to work on the skill.

I'll see if I can come up with a scenario to meet the spirit of the quest this weekend, but I might enjoy some quiet time after all the crazy of the past two weeks.

• Like 7

Oct 26-28 Weekend Quest

A couple months back my wife started training to be a bus driver for the local school district. Last weekend my wife invited one of her co-workers and her family over to play games.  Our sons were already friends from school, but it was the first time I had met his parents. Nice people, but I need to get them into "higher level" games than Phase 10 and Uno.  Next time it's going to be Catan.  But before that, we're going to see a play with them. 

Semi related, as my wife and I were just talking about it last night. In April 2017, we moved to a small town in Iowa where we knew no one.  While we've been meeting new people and getting to know a few of them, the fact is that until recently we've really had no social life outside our family here.  Now that we've found another family to hang out with, it feels weird. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 26-28 Weekend Quest

Every day, since I work with the public. I talk to just about everyone I meet, though, so I'm constantly meeting people everywhere I go.

Stems from my worldview, I consider everyone friends until I have a reason not to. So I'll joke around and help out and whatnot. It just makes life better when the world is full of acquaintences and it helps bring out the best in people around me, focusing on commonalities rather than differences.

The last person I met that will likely progress beyond casual conversation was an artist at figure drawing last week. Been wanting to meet him for a few months now, as I've seen his work in a number of exhibits I've been in and he's consistently one of the better artists. His sketchbook is insane, filled with amazing pen and ink work.

• Like 8

Oct 26-28 Weekend Quest

I decided to re-answer this question in a non-professional capacity:

I meet tons of great people through gaming, and painting. I have many friends and acquaintances from the communities that form at various conventions, and around certain games. Around 8-10 years ago, as a deliberate attempt to get into some regular local groups, I also joined in with some public groups, including a local Battletech group, and my local Pathfinder Lodge. I also started attending ReaperCon, although I started that for the classes, before I knew the people. (That was in addition to regularly attending 2-3 gaming cons annually)

The end result of this is that I have met dozens of great people from all over the world that share my hobbies. On the surface, this hobby skews strongly towards introverts, and stay-at-home activities, but with only a little effort, it has plugged me into communities that span the globe.

I don't currently have any plans to drop into a game store this weekend, but maybe I'll stop by the regular Sunday hobby/paint group @fanguad attends to see if I meet anybody new.

• Like 7

Oct 26-28 Weekend Quest

I honestly don't remember. If I can't remember them I guess I didn't like them a lot but they must not have been so bad as to make an impression either. Most of my new social interaction nowadays is through friends of my wife and I's. They were the ones constantly introducing us to new acquaintances of their's because they lived in the city and were VERY sociable. Now they've moved to Calgary which is 750 km from here so we'll only see them maybe once a year from now on and the odds of meeting new people has dropped greatly.

Introductions aren't likely to happen this weekend. Me and the cows have an important date on Sunday and I'll be spending the next couple of days getting ready for it.

• Like 5

I'm sure that there have been a few since then, but I met a ton of people at ReaperCon. I hesitate to name people because invariably I'll miss someone important.  I really miss you all already.  Can't wait until next year.

As for this weekend, well, we'll see.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 26-28 Weekend Quest

Wednesday. There was a new guy at our Transformers TCG meetup. He seemed ok.

I'm doing political canvassing this weekend. I'll be introducing myself to hundreds of people.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 26-28 Weekend Quest

As I moved 300 miles out into the country two months ago I've been doing this almost everyday. Getting to know new neighbours, tradesmen and getting various jobs done to the house. Starting up a new social circle. And I've got to say the whole thing has considerably improved my view of humanity. Having been used to the indifference shown by most city-dwellers it has been very nice to be surprised again by the courtesy and helpfulness of people who live in small communities. 

• Like 6

Oct 26-28 Weekend Quest

Honestly can't remember the last time I met someone new.

Going to have to skip the second part, can't do something that terrifying at such short notice

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Oct 26-28 Weekend Quest

When was the last time you met someone new?  

This forces a contemplation of what qualifies as “met”. Hmmmm... :mellow:

3 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Last night, the pizza delivery person.  But we didn't talk outside of the exchange of pizza so I don't think this counts.

I agree with ^ this. But, it occurs to me that extroverts and introverts will define met completely differently. :rock:

Everyone I met at ReaperCon was great.

So much ^ this.  ::):

@Reapercon...

(I'm not certain I ever introduced myself to @TaleSpinner or @Doug Sundseth

I did manage to introduce myself to @TaleSpinner but I had to settle for putting a face to the Forum ID in the case of  @Doug Sundseth and @Rainbow Sculptor  which is entirely my fault. This Griffin is a well-practiced introvert. 

To count as met it has to be: I learn their name / they learn mine / this was face-to-face. (I suspect only an introvert thinks that carefully about how to categorize the interaction.) 

The most recent new person I met was a receptionist at a doctor’s office. 

Did you like them, why or why not?

Yes. She was being professionally nice to everyone. I spoke to her on a phone line before meeting in person. 

This is very unlikely. Apart from talking to the random pizza guy, checkout clerk, or some other interaction with pre-defined roles, I doubt I will be around people. (I’ll report otherwise if events differ from prediction.)

The new “person” (for a very broad definition of person...to include “fur persons”) I most enjoyed meeting recently was an Alaskan Husky.

She was gorgeous. Jet black and stark white fur with Piebald Irises in her non-matching eyes. She literally climbed up me so that we could be friends.  Nothing special about me, she was doing that to everyone she could. Her walker disgustedly said, “...not a guard dog bone in her body...” and he was right, she was determined to be friends to all the peoples in the Home Depot where this happened. The most friendly dog EVAR. 

• Like 8

Oct 26-28 Weekend Quest

Met a lot of moms after my youngest started school (sept 6).  Some I had been greeting off and on for a while.  Now I have actually learned a few names.   at the rec center and we have enough parents who work out there to form a running club - but we move at very different speeds.  

In general, I like them, but won't be inviting any of them over for a game night.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TGP said:

The new “person” (for a very broad definition of person...to include “fur persons”) I most enjoyed meeting recently was an Alaskan Husky.

She was gorgeous. Jet black and stark white fur with Piebald Irises in her non-matching eyes. She literally climbed up me so that we could be friends.  Nothing special about me, she was doing that to everyone she could. Her walker disgustedly said, “...not a guard dog bone in her body...” and he was right, she was determined to be friends to all the peoples in the Home Depot where this happened. The most friendly dog EVAR. 

We could all learn a lesson from that Husky.  Here you are two months later and that dog is still making you smile.  Wish I could do that to the people I meet.

Honestly, there are people who do do that for me though.  I'm going to embarrass them completely here, but both Erin (Corporea) and Libby (Mori) are those sorts of people; people who's mere presence brings a bit of light into a room.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1