TaleSpinner

Getting to Know Each Other, October 2018

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Belated Question For Oct 3rd: What did you do while the Forum was Away?

Work. I am desperately tired of work. I signed up to be seasonal! 

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 4: Almost all children draw for fun...but most kids give it up at some point; did you? If so when?

If not post a picture of a recent work for us to enjoy. (TGP)

I... never gave it up?

I haven't had the chance to scan a whole lot of anything for... years? So this isn't recent but it is the only picture I have of a dog I knew.

Orion.jpg.a102a0caec0f132ffd5c45aa4aac4f78.jpg

He was my sister's dog before she realized one should not acquire a puppy when one lives alone and works 12 hours a day. He developed some bad habits like, well, biting. But only men. Still, biting.

I drew this the day he was taken to the pound.

I warned you all my art would make people sad.

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 4: Almost all children draw for fun...but most kids give it up at some point; did you? If so when?

I made a half-hearted effort at art when I was a kid, it fizzled out in high school. In January 2016 (a few months before I turned 46), I decided to give it another shot. It's...difficult. Also, it's why I haven't been painting minis in the last couple years.

Here's my current work-in-progress on the easel, self-portrait in charcoal 18x24:

2018_Selfie_WIP6.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2018 at 7:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 1: What is your favorite soup? (or top 3 if you are a soupiphile like me and cannot choose)

(based on a question by Inarah)

Maybe New England Clam Chowder.  At least it is the only one I eat with any frequency.  Most soups I only make once every few years.

On 10/2/2018 at 11:00 AM, Guindyloo said:

It's nearly 11am CST so I'm going to go ahead and ask today's question on @TaleSpinner's behalf:

Oct 2: If you didn't ever have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?

What I already do with my free time, just more of it.  My pile of unpainted mins would be smaller, I would have fewer books left to read, and be caught up on my video games.

12 hours ago, TGP said:

Painted on some minis, watched some baseball (though it was more just background noise), did a bit of exercise.

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sometime within the last 10 years.  It got traded in for painting minis, with the occasional freehand.  If I went back to it I'm not sure how long it would take to knock the rust off.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Yes, I did, see below.

I don't remember exactly when I stopped (although I still draw dungeon maps, does that count?)

6 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Growing up, I was the one who drew the most in the family. I used the reverse pages of leftover documents my father brought home (also did a lot of math homework with those blocks of papers). Most of the time, I was drawing while watching TV.

Later in life, it was mostly countless doodles in class notebooks.

I kind of "gave it up" when the Internet became a thing. My "idle" hands are now always busy typing or handling a mouse. And doodling during meetings isn't very professional looking, though the occasional drawing still appears in my notes.

Now as to what I was drawing. My boy brain with a penchant for engineering had recurring themes. Giant robots; race cars; mazes; Escher type illusions. Of course, when I started playing D&D, I drew maps and representations of my characters.

A unique recurring theme I had was drawing "real time" space invasions. A hostile space fleet is attacking my underground base! Deploy laser cannons!

• On blank sheet of paper, I drew a jagged line to represent mountain range near the bottom quarter of the page, usually with one side climbing higher.
  • Then I'd draw gun turrets in most of the nooks and crannies of my mountain range. By gun turret, I mean a circle arc with a rectangle poking through, pointing in random directions. Often, I would have one much larger (and fancier looking) main cannon, connected to an underground energy crystal (shaped like a diamond of course)
  • The invasion fleet (heavily inspired from the baddies from UFO Robot Grendizer) was tons of randomly placed little circles, to which I added tiny winglets and "t" shaped tail fins, also pointing in random directions. A couple of much larger circles were "boss" ships.
  • Then I'd take a ruler... and the battle began!
  • I'd draw a straight line from each cannon and ship in the direction they were pointing. Everywhere the line fell, an explosion occurred.
  • I'd scribble an explosion over every ship that got hit by the laser, and the same for everything on the ground.
  • If by any chance, one explosion touched another ship/cannon. That ship/cannon would also explode!
  • The larger the ship/cannon, the larger the explosion. So you can imagine the sort of chain reaction that would easily occur.

By the end, I'd have over half of the page covered in squiggly explosions. If anything survived, I added more cannons until the space fleet got defeated, but at tremendous cost. Especially if the energy diamond got caught in an explosion, and also exploded, for it was made of... explosive energy.

In the end, I spent a half-hour of action filled drawing, with a beginning, middle, and end of a story.

With the right programming skills, I could make a screen saver or mini flash game out of this.

I used to that (or variations of it), too!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

7 hours ago, klarg1 said:

[snip]

I got back into somewhat more intentional sketching and drawing a few years ago by taking a short drawing class at Boston's Museum of Fine Arts, which was both instructional and motivating. Since then,  I have been trying to get some art time in, especially after watching the hard work and careful practice put in by @CashWiley and @Morihalda.

[snippy]

Yay! Yay yay yay!! :wub: I love to learn and I love to make art, and most of my threads start with a variation of, "here you see a baby sculptor/painter/etc in a new habitat learning how to level up, I promise you can do it too!"

Realizing that there's a separation between mechanical and creative skill in art was such an exciting moment for me - it made me realize that any one of us can do art things! We gotta put in the practice on that mechanical side, like anything else we'd want to learn. I just get so excited when I see other people learn too!

Now if I can just get the brain weasels in line, there's hope for me to be a professional artist one day.... 

--

My most recent work has a bit of story to it. All of my art does, really. But I tend to get rambly so I usually skip.... :blush:

I was having fun doodling with Reaper paint on little mini canvases, thinking of different ways to sculpt on the teeny things, when it was suggested to me that I make some specific paint-only ones and sell them at my mom's fall festival booth. I agreed.

They instantly became a million more times difficult.

I cried and got frustrated and didn't want to even finish any of them - I didn't feel that they were representative of me or my art style, these were just supposed to be for fun and then I got all these feelings of self-judgement and BLEGH.

But I finished them. Finished, not perfect. 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/265667016927477770/497555855894511617/pixlr_20181004184824680.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

@Morihalda your painted faces are SO GOOD. They have so much love and character in them! Perhaps they aren't your usual art style; that's okay. But you did a thing and the thing is cool ::D:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

bikebot.png.2011f13aacf476df6a86bad0bcb3e6b4.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2018 at 6:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Oct 1: What is your favorite soup? (or top 3 if you are a soupiphile like me and cannot choose)

(based on a question by Inarah)

1. Hot and Sour

2. Chili (does this count as soup?)

3. Minestrone

On 10/2/2018 at 10:00 AM, Guindyloo said:

It's nearly 11am CST so I'm going to go ahead and ask today's question on @TaleSpinner's behalf:

Oct 2: If you didn't ever have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?

I think I would need to work more hours because more time awake means more time to spend money. 

I would spend a lot more time spending time with and doing activities with my kids.  This would be my main goal.  (I'm fairly certain they don't sleep anyways)

Also of course I would paint more minis!

22 hours ago, TGP said:

F5...

F5...

F5...

F5...

17 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I dont remember when I quit drawing but it was way too early.  I watch a lot of YT videos of animators and it makes me really regret not learning to draw. 

My oldest daughter is really into drawing.  She even makes her own comics and sells them at school for $.25 so she is an aspiring artist and entrepreneur. 

If anyone knows of any good beginning animation books or videos for her I would appreciate any recommendation!

Edited by NecroMancer
  • Like 6

Oct 5, 6, 7: Weekend Quest

What is the oldest, rarest, and/or most valuable mini you own?

Have you painted it?
Find said mini (painted or not), take a picture, and post it here for us to admire.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Have you painted it?
Find said mini (painted or not), take a picture, and post it here for us to admire.

I still have this beauty in it's original box and I will paint it for my Nippon Land of the Rising Moon project.

( soon)

image.png.b021161dba9df80c82b54eb1cd0a0966.png

• Like 16

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I don’t know. Especially when “most valuable” is factored into the equation. There are some I think I remember, I’ve not laid eyes on in years...

There is a little grenadier Sword and Board guy** I would like to find. 

Have you painted it?

It is unlikely. (**Unless I find the Sword and Board Guy)

**However the answer to all this:

Find said mini...

...could be some sort of dragon. 

:ph34r:

—///...sets out on Quest...///—

• Like 9

Have you painted it?

Probably Games Workshop's Dwarf Juggernaut:

1513525138_Dwarfjuggernaut1.thumb.JPG.2cb056abd36e1488a0a854eb75773ff3.JPG

902620234_DwarfJuggernaut2.thumb.JPG.e69c986277329a13f52b17991daf87bb.JPG

A pretty basic paint-job, done so long ago that I think it is probably painted in Humbrol enamels.

I could tell that the white metal would not stand the test of time, so I replaced all the axles with brass rod and added some steam piping in the same material.. Earnest collectors and other "serious" people have told me that this has ruined the authenticity of the item and rendered it valueless!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Have you painted it?

Probably the Ral Partha limited edition Slave Market. I don't normally buy limited editions, but my friend, Jim of Men At Arms fame, gave me a discount price...it was a bit too racy for his normal young guy patrons...or their Mothers.

Cap'n John got one from somewhere as well. I painted his before I moved down to Texas. Mine is still languishing in the Vault of Pack Rattiness.

I normally don't consider the value, age or rarity of a miniature. It is more the character & style that matters to me. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Have you painted it?

Not 100% sure but maybe the GW Goblobber catapult set. The wife loves dwarves and when she first came to Canada we started collecting some for her to paint. She really liked the old GW stuff from the 80s and it took me a bit of searching and buying individual pieces to finally get her the complete set. She painted it up and I can get a photo later. She's a pretty decent painter but I think I scared her off when her couple handfuls of minis bloomed into a full army. She says she wants to paint again but it's been a lot of years since she has. That hasn't stopped me from buying more minis for her:poke:

• Like 8

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Have you painted it?

The oldest mini I own would probably be my Ral Partha Chaos Imperium Battle Lord on War Dragon...

20180425_203505.thumb.jpg.45b832da267bec44c5f2435f218282a2.jpg.cbcfb674f9606462469f864d6be5ad14.jpg

I don't know if any of my minis are particularly rare, but I do have quite a few of the Reaper 25th anniversary limited edition minis, as well.

• Like 8