haldir

Pathfinder: Seers of the Drowned City

If you like basics, archetypes are entirely optional, so maybe just do a straight-up fighter with whatever weapons & skills you think a rough outlander should have?

18 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

I'm not sure what archetypes are in this context.

Then just to a standard fighter and let your background story and roleplaying dictate what you have in your mind's eye.

Archetypes are similar to AD&D 2e kits if that helps any. They modify class features. Unlike prestige classes, they usually add some uniqueness even at first level. Archetypes generally support a more specific character concept than just, say, "fighter". For example, the Corsair would be a "pirate deck fighter" and the Dragoon and "expert mounted warrior".

I found that suggesting the right archetype for a concept can help inexperienced players in particular, as it apparently nudges them toward looking not at "what options do I have" but at "what options fit my concept" when choosing feats, skills, spells, whatever.

Still, if you prefer simplicity, might not be the right idea for you. Therefore: what Darcstaar said.

Man, I'm having a hard enough time with the core rulebook's classes as it is, I don't want to go further down the complexity hole. ::D:

Definitely going human, but now to decide between Fighter or Barbarian....