Sign in to follow this  
Echoside_

Favored paint handle putty

Title asks it all.

I have the hobby holder miniature painting handle and need a putty that'll hold up to some of reaper's bigger models.  I found some blue poster tack stuff, but my model keeps taking a tumble.   And suggestions from the hive mind? 

• Like 1

This one?

02455edbb152d66abadb79c0977b7e10_origina

I am not  a fan of poster tack/putty for holding larger models.( Mine usually fall off at some point, damaging the paint, the mini, or both). I would try super- gluing a rare earth magnet (maybe 1/2" diameter?) to the holder, and the base/bottom of the miniature (for larger minis).  The superglue should be strong enough to hold it while you paint, but brittle enough to remove the magnet after painting. 

Edited by Bloodhowl
  • Like 1

That's the holder.  

I've tried hot glue, and the poster tack. Each allowed my model to tumble off after a short while.  I just worried to use super glue on the mini before basing it, and I've yet to learn how to pin. 

If you want to use a putty, you might search on "museum putty". It's designed to keep things on shelves during earthquakes. They say you're supposed to press down, then twist a bit to get the best hold. For human-sized plastic minis, IME, it works great.

The thing about putties, though, is that they're high-viscosity fluids (-ish), so if you put them under a constant low force, they'll flow.

For metal minis or large plastic minis, I do one of the following:

• Install the pins that will be used in the final basing, then use the pins to hold the mini to the painting handle. In this case, the pins might be longer while painting than in the final basing.
  • For metal minis, glue the figure down with PVA/white glue or superglue. Neither of these holds really well under shocks or prying, so the glue can be removed, but they hold pretty well under normal handling for painting. I would not use either of these for plastic, because PVA doesn't hold at all and super glue (at least with PVC like Bones) holds too well.
  • Attach the figure to its final base and attach the base to the painting holder. I use small rare-earth magnets in my bases for transport, so a steel plate base under the magnet works very well for holding the figure for painting.

Other possible solutions include something like rubber cement, which can definitely be pried/scraped off of most things it will stick to at all, or something like UHU or Gorilla glue. Note that I haven't tried these, so you're kind of on your own (or perhaps somebody else will chime in).

• Like 5

For heavy figures you can try using double-sided foam tape, like 3M Scotch Mounting Tape. It holds pretty strong if you clean both surfaces with alcohol. For most figures I use either white UHU Tac or Quakehold Museum Putty. Both brands have worked well for me. That said, I don't use the Hobby Holder for large models. It's kinda hard to hold with a large figure, and the bar usually has to be removed anyway. The bottle caps have a pretty small surface area. Putty might hold a large figure securely to the Hobby Holder if you permanently epoxy a large plastic base on top if a bottle cap. Then, attach the figure to the larger base surface with plenty of putty. I haven't tested it though.

I recently bought two grip handles for the holders (one #1 and one #2). They make the holders much nicer to hold. I might try painting a large figure on them again now that I have the grip handles, but I usually use a small empty Army Painter Quick Shade or Minwax can for big minis. UHU Tac works well as long as you have a big enough surface to anchor the mini to, which is why I think epoxying a large plastic base to a Hobby Holder bottle cap might help. If you try that, remember to scratch both surfaces before using the 5-minute epoxy.

Spoiler

Out of the two I bought, this is the Hobby Holder grip handle that I prefer. It's a shop photo. I bought a black version of this one and a tan version of the #2 model. The #2 version is a little big for my hands.

GripMod2_Compare-600x600.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CorallineAlgae said:

For heavy figures you can try using double-sided foam tape, like 3M Scotch Mounting Tape.

I forgot about that solution. I've used double-sided tape, too.

It does tend to leave residue behind when you peel it off, but it's not too difficult to remove.

• Like 1

@CorallineAlgae That's what i'm working with.  I bought the grip to go with, since I was so use to the Citadel holder. 

Never thought of the foam tape.  Might be an experiment.  Trying to get the Frost Giant Princess Svetlana (metal) to stay on caps is being a pain. 

• Like 1

I second the 'museum putty' stuff.
I'm currently slacking off on a B&B Otter Rogue, which is 37mm of metal goodness, and the putty holds it nicely in place.

The putty comes in long strips on sheets of waxed paper, and I usually take a pair of scissors to the sheets, cutting across the strips of putty to end up with narrow paper strips with lumps of putty on them.

• Like 3

On 10/5/2018 at 4:05 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

If you want to use a putty, you might search on "museum putty".

This, I've got some and it's pretty awesome. Works much better than blu tack IMO.

I recently started using a hot glue gun. A "mini" hot glue gun at the dollar store was ~$5 and a bag of glue sticks was just a few bucks and will last a darn long time. I glue the figure to a wine cork.