Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I've been wanting to paint a bust since I got back from ReaperCon. I missed my chance to pick up Julie Guthrie's beautiful sculpt from the convention, so I did a bit of research. I had already picked up a larger scale mini from FeR Miniatures at Scale 75's table this year, so I started there. In addition to some more intricately detailed stuff, FeR also had a few busts that seemed a bit more on the simple side, so I grabbed them. They're both in the "Portraits From the Middle Ages" line. I started with this one, the Saxon Huscarl, Hastings, 1066.
I started off by doing the face, using Reaper's HD flesh quadrilogy(?) I mixed them to create midtones, but it still came out less smooth than I had hoped. I think it looks ok for a first go, but I definitely have so much room for improvement. I'm definitely going to do a bit of touching up on the face.
I did the eyes next, and I really like the way that they turned out! They give him such a ruthless look! After this, I base coated the chainmail in dark grey mixed with some black, and then I left it there for the night. I'm going to try and do the metals as non-metallic, so we'll see how that goes!
By Al Capwn
I know I am rather new to the forums but I thought I would introduce a bit of what I have been working on pre and post ReaperCon 2018. No doubt I have met with some of the forum denizens here, most notably @Green Eyed Monster for sure. Hopefully my presence here will be a welcome and fruitful one, and I look forward to talking and learning from all of you!
A few months back I decided to pick up Zombicide: Black Plague, and before I knew it I was neck-deep in medieval zombies. I told myself I would save the heroes for after ReaperCon to employ some of the techniques and improvements I would have learned. I... uhh... sorta did that. Let's just say I quickly became tired of the derth of zombies and wanted to focus on more...noble...aspirations.
The Goal: Get 'er done. Preferably by the end of October. Because what better way to say 'Thriller' like a box o'zombies. I am shooting for tabletop standard for the standard fodder zombies, with tabletop+ for the heroes. Not quite display level, but certainly a cut-above your bog 40k Guardsman (ifyaknowwhatimean hashtag don't_tell_the_commissar). I am loosely following the box artwork along with Sorastro's YouTube series, but I certainly am not married to everything. I will try to make a note of any techniques I employ that I have learned either from class, trial and error, or from online tutorials.
Since this is my first original content post here, please let me know if I am doing anything incorrectly or against forum etiquette, as this is not my normal venue for sharing!
So grab a cup and buckle up, cuz we are fixin' to see a whole lot of pictures of the scenic countryside of Zombicide: Black Plague.
Okay! I'm starting this post to keep track of the miniatures I've painted in one place. Just ignore if you've seen them already!
1. Barrow Rat (LTPK1) Finished (11.14.2013)
2. (Actually don't have this one on this board! LOL!) 06023: Anhurian Swordsmen ???
3. 02924: Bertok, Barbarian (LTPK4) Finished (11.18.2013)
4. P02741A: Nymph (LTPK4) Finished (11.21.2013)
5 & 6. 02811: Dain Deepaxe & 02823: Rasia, w/Spiked Chain Finished (1.29.2014)
7. 14536: Varaug, Orc Warlord (Alternate Sculpt) WIP & Finished (2.16.2014)
8. 14645: Bladesinger Sister "Phoebe" WIP & Finished (3.4.2014)
9. Jazzy's Garden of Eden WIP
- Liriel Finished (3.27.2014)
10. The Picnic or Something Victorianish... WIP & Finished! (finally!) (4.12.2014)
11. Winter Miniature Exchange: Stonehaven Dwarf Rogue Partial WIP & Finished! (4.19.2014)
12. 14321: Bow Sister "Nubian Princess" WIP & Finished! (5.1.2014)
- Special WIP! Building A Better Bowl - Basing tutorial
13. 03473: Khesh Blackscale, Dragonman (Sorry! I got WIP lazy ) & Finished! (5.17.14)
- Redemption! (sorta): Lazy Basing WIP
14. Stonehaven Miniatures Gnome Hoplite (a.k.a.: Pocket Achilles) Finished! (5.26.14)
15. 02689 Kurff the Swift (a.k.a.: The Hero of Speiburg) FAIL! WIP & Finally Finished (11.09.14)
16. 02981 Lonnia, Female Duelist or "The Fair Spansh Lady" WIP and Finished! (6.23.2014)
17. 50180: Mega-Mutant or "The Fly" Finished! (7.14.2014)
18. Bombshell Miniatures HS38 Rocket Bike & GhNT Security Bot or "The Race" Finished! (9.7.2014)
19. 14600: Kaya the Reaper or "Year of the Giants: Part I" WIP and Finished! (10.4.2014)
- Year of the Giants: Part Deaux! WIP
- Year of the Giants Diorama: Mothers Finished! (12.31.2014)
- ReaperCon 2015 Silver!!! Yay!
20. 02902: Slithe Queen or "Low Tide" [Fall Exchange Mini] Partial WIP & Finished!
21. Hasslefighter 2014 WIP PAUSED (11.8.14)
- HFGGL4 Fist of Golgo (i.e.: Billy)
- HFGGL8A Bobby Van Li (i.e.: Williams)
- HFC008 Kado
22. 01325 Bailey Silverbell Finished! (11.8.2014)
- Official 1st Anniversary of Painting Mini! Yay!
- ReaperCon 2015 Silver!!!
23. Target Acquired: Hasslefree's HFSF 109 "Smudgester" WIP & Finished! (11.21.2014)
- ReaperCon 2015 Bronze!
24. The Freaking Dungeon!!! (a.k.a.: Super Dungeon Explorer) WIP
25. Dr. Who Diorama (Present for Haden) WIP & Finished! (12.24.2014)
26. Bones Beauty Pageant: "Little Friend" (Cassie, Gnome Wizard) WIP & Finished! (2.7.2015)
27. "Never Toss A Dwarf" or 60004: Harsk, Iconic Male Dwarf Ranger WIP & Finished! (3.2.2015)
28. "She Be Queen!" Spring 2015 Exchange Finished! (4.16.2015)
29. "Speedy the Gobbo" Exercise in "speed" painting Finished! (4.20.2015)
30. Will's Dino Guy or Maj. Johan Emigholtz WIP & Finished! (6.8.2015)
31. Cowboys!: Roland Deschain or 59007: Gunslinger Finished! (4.5.2016)
32. Spaaacccceeeeee Woooollllvvvvsssssszzzz!!!!!! WIP
33. Dragons of Fall Latecoming or Marsya's Really Late I'm So Sorry It Took So Long And I Should Be Ashamed Project Finished! (4.2016)
34. Icewind Gail or Winter Witch 60149 WIP & Finished! (4.9.2016)
35. (ish) Some hood from Hasslefree.... (um, Joe!) Practically Finished (9.11.2018)
Running Total: 40ish Miniatures Completed! (+ a TARDIS!)
( #10 required 2 minis; #18 required 2 minis; #24 required 2 minis + a custom TARDIS #29 required 3 minis )
(Please note that the Running Total tabulates actual painted miniatures. The numbers indicate individual
projects, some of which may have not been completed.)
Also, a list of my continuing struggle of photographing these guys can be found here and here.
This is my first post-ReaperCon mini, and I'm using her to practice the various techniques that I learned in various classes. I'll be posting stages along the way, and feedback is very much appreciated!
For starters, I've gotten most of the base coats down, and the first thing I practiced was two brush blending on her orange cloak.
My plan is to do a bit of freehand along the trim in the light orange of the front skirt, and then use the same trim along the skirt in the dark orange of the cloak. It makes sense in my head, anyway!
The chest armor is done with the new Dungeon Dwellers color "Kobold Scale", and I love it. It's got a deep maroon/brown thing going on.
Thanks for looking!
Who's Online 45 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Darsc Zacal
- Al Capwn
- Lidless Eye
- Green Eyed Monster
- Dan Goodchild
- Doug Sundseth
- Chris Palmer
- Knight of the Dinner Table