Hey @malefactus

I saw mushrooms on campus today and thought of you. Not just any mushrooms... big bright toadstools! 

The Internet says they are toxic but not deadly. They cause inebriation and delirium, and folks who try them don't do so voluntarily again. I have to wonder how many freshmen students have a nibble on dares. 

20181010_105446.jpg

20181010_105459.jpg

20181010_105600.jpg

20181010_105602.jpg

20181010_105729.jpg

20181010_105414.jpg

20181010_105420.jpg

20181010_105435.jpg

20181010_105620.jpg

20181010_105624.jpg

20181010_105633.jpg

20181010_105407.jpg

20181010_105412.jpg

• Like 14

21 minutes ago, Orlando_the_Technicoloured said:

Bonus points if you can find a reindeer to eat them for you (it gets them pleasantly high),

you then collect (and concentrate) the reindeer urine for a totally traditional (and gross) trip of your own

On the list of things I didn't know I should know that I have now learned - this is pretty high up there. How desperate for altered mind state do you need to be to be collecting and processing drugged reindeer piss? 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

On the list of things I didn't know I should know that I have now learned - this is pretty high up there. How desperate for altered mind state do you need to be to be collecting and processing drugged reindeer piss? 

Well, the existence of this knowledge says everything that you really need to know about Homo Sapiens Sapiens. <_<

'49ers used to drink the alcohol that builds up when sourdough is fermenting.

There is a drink composed of horse or camel urine and horse or camel milk - fermented.

The Auld Grump - mankind is weird.

Megan is right behind my shoulder - she just said 'I know those! Fly Agaric! They're in Oblivion!'

In any event - don't eat, it's an amanita. One mistake and.... :zombie:

A mushroom that I have had fun with is the common inky cap - tasty and delicious.

Drink booze with it, and, well... both the mushroom and the booze are ejected from the body in an alarming fashion. (Number of deaths attributed to this mushroom is zero. An emetic - with booze - not a lethal toxin. Without booze, it is yummy. ::): )

There is a business in my neighborhood that was funded by a Kickstarter - North Spore - dedicated to growing mushrooms at home.

The Auld Grump

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Amanita Muscaria (not sure if that is spelled right, oh well) is thought to be the mushroom that the "super mushroom" from the super Mario series is based upon as it distorts the sense of scale and distance of eaten. The round red one with white spots may well be of that species, however I am not a mycologist and so would advise against sampling. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, FaekiasDracon said:

Amanita Muscaria (not sure if that is spelled right, oh well) is thought to be the mushroom that the "super mushroom" from the super Mario series is based upon as it distorts the sense of scale and distance of eaten. The round red one with white spots may well be of that species, however I am not a mycologist and so would advise against sampling. 

I think that's what The Internet told me, but the short and round ones are just young 'uns of the big red/orange with spots. Kinda funny if that's why the mushroom was chosen for Mario, instead of just looking way cool! They're really cute mushrooms. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dwarvenranger said:

These are good fall photos.

It is very pretty and fall-like here right now ::D:

• Like 2

Gorgeous pictures! 

The colours on those mushrooms pretty much scream "look but don't touch" to me, but that's because I have no idea what kind of mushrooms they are or their side effects, and I learned when I was a lot younger that if you don't know what it is, don't eat it ^_^

• Like 4